• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body work woes

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I texted him some images of the tubs for sale on the internet with the prices and he blew up on me. This is been a bad experience.

That is a problem when the person you are paying gets mad at you. I guess the real issue is getting comfortable with an estimate first and if the body man wont give you one you should walk. For you to have an open ended money pit when you know the cost of a finished tub should be your end point and if he cant agree not to exceed then your choice is made.

OP
OP
aklb43

aklb43

He agreed to $10k, there was no open wallet. He kept requesting payments as work was done. He is now over the $10k estimate and the work is no where close to done. He has slowed down his requests, but they are still coming with no end in sight and no agreement on a cap to how far over he's going to bill.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well then that just sucks. I feel for you. I guess in hindsight an agreement not to exceed could have helped but in the end he needs to honor his word. Good luck.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You are replying to the wrong person, I am not needing a tub.

sorry didnt mean for it to come off like that...your comments just got me thinking for 10k which was the OP'S original budget he could buy a new tub...

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
He agreed to $10k, there was no open wallet. He kept requesting payments as work was done. He is now over the $10k estimate and the work is no where close to done. He has slowed down his requests, but they are still coming with no end in sight and no agreement on a cap to how far over he's going to bill.

I agree that sucks, things were looking good but being on medications especially opioids can mess people up. The latest pics lookalike a step backwards. He 's not even using a pre made floor pan with the correct stampings in them (not sure how close to original you wanted) and If I was forking out the cash id be upset... you really might want to consider pulling the plug and find a different guy to finish it. When he says 20k is that paint too? If so get a written estimate from him but at this point it might be a downward slide...

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
do you know Ryan Cucullu? He might be able to point you in the right direction...being in AK your options are limited ,....good luck

OP
OP
aklb43

aklb43

I do know Ryan and have asked him for help finding a good body guy a few times. He doesn't have those kinds of resources.

Yea the body guy probably spent way to much time fabbing up floor pans, the darn thing was only $149 had he just bought it. The passenger area floor pan is also a single plain sheet of metal. It doesn't bother me to much since most of it is under the seat. what does bother me is all the time he spent fabbing steel it likely cost more than just buying it.

Each week I dropped by to do a status check, more and more stuff was cut away. This sucks. I learned an important life lesson, trust your gut.

I've asked for estimates constantly, and he can never provide one. All i get is from him is 15 min long monologues of excuses, which has worked for him up until now, cause i seem this project at the end of the budget, and it doesn't even look half done.

He's telling me know it wont cost $20k with paint, but I don't know how I can trust him. I wish I had wen't with the original guy that wanted $2k upfront for the work, hes finished multiple cars since I backed off from having him do it. Hes even got a shop, where as my body guy has a garage.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I do know Ryan and have asked him for help finding a good body guy a few times. He doesn't have those kinds of resources.

Yea the body guy probably spent way to much time fabbing up floor pans, the darn thing was only $149 had he just bought it. The passenger area floor pan is also a single plain sheet of metal. It doesn't bother me to much since most of it is under the seat. what does bother me is all the time he spent fabbing steel it likely cost more than just buying it.

Each week I dropped by to do a status check, more and more stuff was cut away. This sucks. I learned an important life lesson, trust your gut.

I've asked for estimates constantly, and he can never provide one. All i get is from him is 15 min long monologues of excuses, which has worked for him up until now, cause i seem this project at the end of the budget, and it doesn't even look half done.

He's telling me know it wont cost $20k with paint, but I don't know how I can trust him. I wish I had wen't with the original guy that wanted $2k upfront for the work, hes finished multiple cars since I backed off from having him do it. Hes even got a shop, where as my body guy has a garage.

Sounds like you have a second option, talk to the guy who has the better track record and see if he'll take yours in. Get a written estimate from him then Move your project over to him...otherwise buy a welder and move it to your house and tackle it yourself!

OP
OP
aklb43

aklb43

I don't have a garage, just a tent building. I don't think the bare metal will like the atmosphere much, will it? The other body guy has 3-4 jobs lined up.....

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I don't have a garage, just a tent building. I don't think the bare metal will like the atmosphere much, will it? The other body guy has 3-4 jobs lined up.....

You can epoxy primer it and that will protect the metal....don't rattle can it....You should still see if the other guy can get you in...

OP
OP
aklb43

aklb43

Last edited:

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry man, that is a tough lesson. Perhaps a minimal effort to take to small claims court would yield a settlement?

OP
OP
aklb43

aklb43

Sorry man, that is a tough lesson. Perhaps a minimal effort to take to small claims court would yield a settlement?

Any advice on how to go about that with regards to body work would be helpful. I've never taken anyone to court for something like this.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
without a contract it would either be email, documentation of some sort or verbal agreements. It would be a tough one to win but just the hassle of it may make him settle it for some amount. Probably the best you could hope for without a written contract or proof of claims. I have seen judges (not Judge Judy) make decisions on the basis of testimony so if it got to that, it would be who they believe is truthful. You would nee to be prepared to fight that battle and see if it is worth it to you though. Every state is different but you could search for small claims procedures for your area and follow them. It is cheap and simple to file but the real work is following through.

OP
OP
aklb43

aklb43

without a contract it would either be email, documentation of some sort or verbal agreements. It would be a tough one to win but just the hassle of it may make him settle it for some amount. Probably the best you could hope for without a written contract or proof of claims. I have seen judges (not Judge Judy) make decisions on the basis of testimony so if it got to that, it would be who they believe is truthful. You would nee to be prepared to fight that battle and see if it is worth it to you though. Every state is different but you could search for small claims procedures for your area and follow them. It is cheap and simple to file but the real work is following through.

Thanks for the information, it will be helpful.

Todd66

Loc.
Hartland twp Mi
Body man

Wow to me he hasn't done enough work for the money you paid him.I know there not easy but they are simple if ya know what i mean. Ive done frame offs before one 74 bronco and it was really simple panel replacement. It seems to me he bit off more then he could eat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aklb43

aklb43

Wow to me he hasn't done enough work for the money you paid him.I know there not easy but they are simple if ya know what i mean. Ive done frame offs before one 74 bronco and it was really simple panel replacement. It seems to me he bit off more then he could eat.

I agree.