• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 headers

johnbeck

My 302 is just about rebuilt, I need the right headers. 225hp cam(hydraulic copy of 289 High Performance engine's), AFR alum. heads(165s), Edelbroc 1406 carb with Edelbroc manifold. C4 trans. 95% plus street, rarely on moderate trail. Around town daily driver. No headers that need to be regularly retorqued. Shorty headers take up less room, do they perform that much less for daily driving than long headers? Two into one exhaust or dual? Moderate mufflers except when my foot is into the throttle. I just install a one inch body lift for a little more room. Thanks much for your thoughts!

68ford

Bronco Guru
With those heads you going to make more than 225 HP, I had a set of hooker eb headers ingot from summit with 1 5/8 primaries but only a 2.5 collector. They were long tubes but a little shorter than most and tucked up a little higher. Normal bolts never re torqued and put about 50k miles on them over a 10 yr period. I really liked them. Spark plugs were also not close to the primaries which was also very nice for both service and plug wire life

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
JBA Headers from WH

I ended up going with JBA's ceramic coated shorties from WH. Also run their spark plug boots w/ Stage 8 locking clips. Exhaust is 2 into 1 with a Magnaflow 3 chamber.
I have no starter interference and the collector flange is pretty easy to get to when removing the exhaust.
These are a bit expensive but I love how they look, give me plenty of breathing, and always look real clean. My dad runs the same JBA's but in Stainless and they have more of a even darker bronze mat finish after break in.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Ford 347.jpg
    Ford 347.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 90

Maddog B

I’m running Headman Elite headers and love them. 14ga tubing with thick flanges and ball and socket collectors. I have a 2 into 1 exhaust system with a Cherry Bomb Salute muffler. Pipes are 2.25 in and 2.5 single out. I went back and forth on duals vs 2 into 1 and my exhaust guy that’s ran exhaust on several EB’s recommended 2 into 1. I have vapor lock issues from time to time and I’m sure if I ran duals with a muffler 6 inches from my fuel line it wouldn’t help.

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like Maddog, I run Hedman Elite Ultra-Duty HTC Coated Full Length Headers, part number 89418, with an H-pipe through dual Flowmaster 50's all dumping out behind the rear wheels. The headers are pricey but worth it to me because they clear my Canton 7qt oil pan and dipstick. For a leak free seal, Hedman recommends using their gaskets (included) coated with copper gasket sealer (not included). Bolted them on using Percy's Vibe-Lock header bolts, part number 310008. No leaks or any other issues!

Ordered them from Jegs (free shipping & military discount). https://www.jegs.com/i/Hedman/500/89418/10002/-1

Although I see no reason why they would not fit your AFR heads, I would also call the Hedman Tech Line for confirmation (562.921.0404 M-F 8-4:30 PT).

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The problem owners have with the header bolts loosening is caused in a big part by not tightening the bolts properly in the first place. It can take a huge collection of box wrenches, sockets, extensions, crows feet, and swivels to get it properly tight. Then after several heat cycles, do it again, then again. After that, they stay just fine. I use the plain old non-locking header bolts that were supplied with the headers. I check a few from time to time, but mine haven't needed tightening for over eight years.
When time comes that I need to pull them loose, I have a set of 3/8" NordLoc washers I plan to use.

For headers, I like the Hooker 6909. They have full length primaries, but unlike the other full length headers, the collector is shorter and points downward between the frame and engine. You don't loose ground clearance.

https://www.nord-lock.com/shop/buy-...MIvuOT6KPu4gIVE_5kCh2vngkSEAAYASAAEgJxAPD_BwE
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI3bTCraDu4gIVCMNkCh3sVwd_EAQYASABEgKsQvD_BwE