• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pre 1969 Hardtop Help

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
Can someone post a pic of their pre 1969 hardtop latch and striker plate.

I am installing a pre 69 hardtop on my 77 and the striker plate parts from my old 77 hardtop are not fitting correctly. I looked on the venders websites and they only list a 69-77 striker plate and nothing for the pre 69 hardtop?

Any help would be appreciated.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Confused. Are you installing early doors?
Hard top has nothing to do with the strikers. Just a different bolt pattern to the windshield.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I think he’s talking about the striker plates on the lift gate.

OP
OP
bronco t

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
I think he’s talking about the striker plates on the lift gate.

Yes, I am talking about the liftgate latch striker (or whatever it is called).

I found the ones listed below at most of the vendors websites but they are listed 69-77 and they do not list a pre 66-68 version. So, I am wondering if the 66-68 are different?

The parts from my 77 hardtop are not lining up with the latch pin and there is not enough adjustment left, so I am thinking I either have a misaligned top or the wrong latch striker plates.

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Liftgate-Striker-Plate/Bronco_Liftgate_Parts

I guess the best way to resolve this would be if someone has both versions and could compare them.

Thank You
Dale

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
I have this photo on my phone. Not sure it’s close enough to tell you what you need. Mine is a 68.
d09a0419b7c4eddd23351475b2ddb91e.jpg

OP
OP
bronco t

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
I have this photo on my phone. Not sure it’s close enough to tell you what you need. Mine is a 68.
d09a0419b7c4eddd23351475b2ddb91e.jpg

That is the pic angle I am looking for but is your top a pre 69? It looks like my 77 with the square corner liftgate gaskets / seals.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
My truck is a 68. A u15 vin with bulkhead and bench seat as per Marti report. I can’t confirm it’s history so I guess there’s a chance this isn’t the original top?

1438f28abc503dee18e02320e335f4eb.jpg

396b99e0ca83ec805f6c3ff56b44536e.jpg

OP
OP
bronco t

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
Thank you for the pics! The striker and trim plate look the same as my 77.

Off to cobble ville I go!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It looks like my 77 with the square corner liftgate gaskets / seals.

Interesting comment. The '77 should have the curved seals. The early had the squared-off upper corners for the lift gate seal, and the later ones had the curved seal area.

Is that what you meant? Or are you saying the top on your '77 had the square seal?

Paul

OP
OP
bronco t

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
I am okay with the two different seals, as I have both. The problem is that the 68 top I have came without striker plates so I transferred them from the 77 and I cannot get enough adjustment out of them to get the latch pins to align.

I don't know if the two striker plates below come from the same manufacturer but one vendor shows a year range while the other doesn't, and this leads me to believe that there must be some differences (if any) between the two eras???

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Liftgate-Striker-Plate/Bronco_Liftgate_Parts

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/stainless-liftgate-latch-striker-plates