• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BCB's new top

yakelys69

how about track on wind shield, and top of tub with
zippers & velcro, to attach the sides/rear to the main of the top

seems to work good on my brothers fj40 and has a clean look

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Got a picture? The front top does use a track. And top of the sides does use a zipper. The bottom of the rear is velcroed to the tail gate.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
That is looking really good Chuck. With either black snaps or some other form of holding it to the sides I think that will be a real nice top. Make the windows and BIG as possible and you've got a winner. I hope that I am still on the waiting list.

FSRBIKER

Loc.
Oak Ridge, NJ
Can the bottoms of the sides and back use a track instead of velcro/snaps?

I like the look and realize a tighter fitting top might be achieved with snaps but in winter stretching a top to snap it is almost impossible on most tops/bed covers.

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I could have a track at the bottom and zipper at the top but the zipper would have problems in cold weather. The canvas shrinks very little compaired to the naugahyde but it does shirk a little. With my old Can Back the snaps were only a little harder to snap in the cold. I had a jeep once that the top would not go back on if I left it off intill it was cool enough to need it. Anyway I think the track would make it hard to close the zipper.

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Did you ever get a price? Cant wait till its finished so I can get one!

$1200 for now the end price may go up or down. The sew shop didn't like the price after he made it but agreed to hold the price. I may be able to get them mass produced also and the would drive the price down. But for now I will stick with this guy as long as he doesn't raise the price or lower the quality.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
nice to see you back on track with your top. we will see how well mine holds up during my cross country trip...may be in the market again...I'm coming your way for a visit (couldn't resist). Keep up the good work!!

broncokak

Bronco Guru
I'll need one by the end of May... My tops is pretty much on it's last legs but is well over 20 years old.

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
nice to see you back on track with your top. we will see how well mine holds up during my cross country trip...may be in the market again...I'm coming your way for a visit (couldn't resist). Keep up the good work!!
Be sure to drop by I am about 2 miles south of I-10 Texas mile 501

dan12580

this may sound retarded, but couldnt you put the snaps on the inside of the fabric? double back the edges of the fabric and have the snaps sewn in facing in. it sounds simple in my mind, but maybe iam not explaining it right. iam not that anti-snap but it might look better without the prominent snaps. might be worth looking into. and then since i had such a brilliant idea maybe chuck could toss me a free top for being part of the team;D ;D . or i could just buy one which is what i will most likely do anyhow.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
It's sure a good thing Chuck isn't charging for his time on this project. He's been working his a** off on it for years now. Is there a tip jar next to it on the order page.

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Thanks Steve. Dan12580 that might work, is this what you are talking about? There must be some season why it won't work. I will check with the canvas guy once I get him going, don't want to scare him off right now.

l
l <--- outside of canvas
l
l
l l
l l
l (< <---snap
l l
l l

dan12580

better to have any top then no top at all.

|
|
outside |
|
| inside
|
| |_ snap _|
|____| | inside frame
something like this. it seems simple enough. it would look pretty clean also. how does it attach at the tailgate? ive missed a few post, iam sure it was mentioned.

dan12580

dammit. it doesnt post the same as i typed it. chuck, it looks like youve got what iam talking about. i just read all 12 pages, the velcro doesnt seem like all that bad of an idea on the tailgate. we, well some of us, understand that not everything could be 100% perfect. id rather have a velcro strap then a bunch of snaps drilled in to my tailgate. just send along an extra strap with the top and then once a year we may have to go buy some velcro or order it from you guys. sounds like a repair i could actually do myself. put the stiff side on the top and attach the fuzzy side to the tailgate. and if there must be snaps, attach them on the inside of the gate and leave a flap that goes over the top of the tailgate with maybe a metal rod or even sand in it for weight. just another brilliant idea.;D also, tell your boy he needs to get rid of those california plates. hes just asking to get pulled over out there.:cool:

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I will be spending this week working on the frames while the sew shop makes the next tops. Making the jigs is the hard part but must be done to be able to make interchangable parts.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i got to see this top in person when chuck dropped my truck off, i tell you guys you won't be disappointed at all! i'm trying to figure out a way to afford one for my truck. one thing i was very impressed by was the lack of blind spots by the small windows. i imagine when the windows get bigger they'll be practically non existant. also the snaps don't look near as bad in person, and using black ones will improve it even more.

thanks again chuck for all your help!!!!

yak67

Bronco Guru
Chuck,

The top looks great IMO, especially with bigger windows, I'll be trying to budget for one.

smoked77

Loc.
Columbus, IN
Top looks great - not sold on the velcro in the rear, but I'll leave you hard at work to post a few finished product pics up!!!

WOW - It's about the first Bronco softtop that looks like a hardtop and actually matches the body lines!!!:eek:

I'm in!