Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 07/03/18, 11:47 AM   #1
JefeAZ
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Day Bow Bow

Tucson, AZ
eBay: Vcjj21
F8 LUBR Build

UPDATE: If you want to skip ahead and see it basically done first, click this: The Bronco is Home After 11 Months!

Im starting to make actual progress on my build so I figured its time to start a build thread! As of today, 7/3/18, I am 2 weeks away from primer so this should go fast if I can get the last 7 years all typed out

Little bit of a back story first, my car addiction began about 28 years ago when my Uncle pulled up in this North American Fiberglass Cobra he had built and taken me for a ride. When I got out of the car my leg hit the side pipes and I was hooked! Crying, but hooked!

The Cobra was actually used in the movie Listen To Me with Roy Scheider/Kirk Cameron. It had a Keith Black Hemi and it was parted out after filming. My Uncle bought the shell in Phoenix and had a local shop build a 351.

Fast forward to 2011: My Father and I have always been Ford owners from Mustangs to Cobras to Trucks and Broncos. We always knew we wanted a Classic Bronco and we finally decided to get serious about it. We had the garage built but nothing to occupy it besides daily drivers.

Im scouring Craigslist, this site, and eBay for what seemed like 9 months. I bid on a few but missed out on some projects under $4K, really kicking myself now of course. We found one we wanted in Texas and were making plans to fly out and see it when I hop on here and find a for sale thread with the AZ location tag

1974 Bronco for Sale

I message him and find out he's only 30 minutes from me!! I head over on a Saturday and there it is idling in the driveway. A running fairly complete Bronco! We chat for a few minutes and he tosses me the keys and tells me to take it for a spin. My first time sitting in a Bronco let alone driving it so I took it around the block grinning ear to ear while the exhaust purs! There's nothing quite like looking out the windshield at those front fenders.

I head back and tell him I want my Dad to come check it out as well since this is going to be our project. We head back the following weekend and luckily he still hadn't sold it. We drive it and we're both on the same page. This is ours. We pay the man, load up parts and hop on the frontage road and take it up to 65mph only to realize we need gas. Stop at the gas station and 2 people comment on it, nice Bronco!

He bought it in 2008 and it was a red half cab. He converted it back to a wagon which was a ton of work, painted it in his garage, rebuilt the motor, C4, transfer case, steering box, discs up front, built a bumper, moved the glovebox, suspension, etc. He did a ton of work! Heres what it looked like

Which eventually became this

Tucked away at its new home

I did not plan on having 2 yellow cars, I just couldn't pass up the Bronco! Plus the Cobra was a beast. If you have not experienced a modded 03/04 Cobra you need to!

Last edited by JefeAZ; 05/10/19 at 05:29 PM..

1974 BRONCO F8 LUBR
2014 SVT RAPTOR SUPERCAB
BUILD THREAD . . . CLASSIC BRONCOS OF TUCSON . . . IG: RAPTOR.BRONCO
JefeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/18, 11:58 AM   #2
JefeAZ
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Day Bow Bow

Tucson, AZ
Checking out the undercarriage and what needs attention. A few typical leaks but nothing that prevented me from driving it to work that Friday!

Picked up some bigger tires/wheels on Craiglist which didn't last long

Over the next 2-3 years we drive it on weekends and have fun with little projects here and there. 2.5" to 3.5" lift, another set of tires and wheels, sold the cage/hard top, bumpers and a ton of parts to buy more parts.

Some light trail running 10 minutes from the house to flex out the new suspension. Wound up gashing a tire on the inner fender

Starter motor went out on me in 2014

Bought a custom cage and Black Rock Yuma wheels

Notice the new plate

Bought some Protofab Rock Solid bumpers, sold the seats, pulled the tanks and this is where we stopped driving it

1974 BRONCO F8 LUBR
2014 SVT RAPTOR SUPERCAB
Old 07/03/18, 12:12 PM   #3
bronkenn
Contributor
Bronco Guru

I believe you, thousands wouldn't

Southeast Ohio
Don't stop now. Just popped some popcorn. Ken
bronkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/18, 12:19 PM   #4
JefeAZ
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Day Bow Bow

Tucson, AZ
Did the Bronco script valve covers

Ive made it a mission to track down every Bronco owner near me so I had some Bronco brothers over to help with some suspension, driveshaft items. Hopefully this was only the first of many project days to come as these guys were much more knowledgeable than me!

Found some 2005 Mustang seats at a junkyard, bought a fold and tumble from Toms and a Rampage center console off Amazon

The front seats sit very low, recline and tilt so I can get in the back from both sides. Bought the Wildhorses seat box for an easy passenger seat mount and I will probably mount a marine amp under it for the speakers

Bought some fiberglass interior quarter panels and already had aluminum door panels. Tried my hardest to find matching material to the fold n tumble and its impossible. So I took them all down to an upholstery shop who wrapped them in two tone vinyl.

I have some extremely strong neodymium magnets that will go on the back of the inner panels and Im planning on putting 6.5" speakers in those up front. I wanted to be able to pull the panels back so I can hide tools/parts in the rear sections

Had them cut the Mustang seat head rests down to match the fold n tumble height a little better

1974 BRONCO F8 LUBR
2014 SVT RAPTOR SUPERCAB
Old 07/03/18, 12:35 PM   #5
JefeAZ
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Day Bow Bow

Tucson, AZ
Sent the speedometer out to Kevin at Classy Gauges who did a fantastic job. Speedo got a full rebuild

Ordered a Bronco Design fiberglass mid rise hood

Decided the old dash was beyond repair so we ordered a Bronco Hut Dash

Found my first bit of rust behind the speedo. You can see the original Limestone Poly Green as well

Ordered a Kenwood double din stereo and some tire knobs and have been playing the orientation for months now

Leaning towards this setup below if I can get my heater working again. Its been capped off for 7 years. No plans for rock lights or any other accessories, just a nice clean dash with upgraded knobs and stereo

Gotta pause there. More coming Thursday!

Last edited by JefeAZ; 07/03/18 at 12:46 PM..

1974 BRONCO F8 LUBR
2014 SVT RAPTOR SUPERCAB
Old 07/03/18, 03:55 PM   #6
Cortez
Contributor
Bronco Guru

The first step is admitting you have a problem!

Bradenton, Florida

My Gallery
Garage
Saweet! Thanks for the pictorial- can’t wait to see the final paint soon. Keep at it.

351w/Fitech Injection, NP435, Hydroboost, 3.5" Lift + 1" BL, 35" Dick Cepek Extreme
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/18, 08:13 AM   #7
No Hay
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Tucson, AZ
Garage
Looking good Jefe. Getting close!

Pretty cool Uncle with the Cobra to set the hook
No Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/18, 05:14 AM   #8
sprdv1
Contributor
REBEL

Guess you better call the Whaaaambulance

Lees Summit-Missouri

My Gallery
Nice garage area... Lots of good work on that boss.

sprdv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/18, 04:52 PM   #9
JefeAZ
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Day Bow Bow

Tucson, AZ
Removed the windshield, tailgate, grill and fenders and sent them to a blaster.

No rust and minimal damage to those panels

Also took the cage in and had the powdercoating removed. He smoothed a section of it up top where it made contact with the door frame

I also had him add some hoops to the Protofab front bumper

Did the Alice turn signal mod

1974 BRONCO F8 LUBR
2014 SVT RAPTOR SUPERCAB
Old 07/23/18, 04:58 PM   #10
rydog1130
Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Bronco Math: time+money=bronco and if time=money then money+money=LOTS OF MONEY

Kalamazoo, MI

My Gallery
Garage
Looks Good jeff! Cant wait till the parts go back on it!

1968 Bronco, 289, dana 30, C4 auto, stock ps, MSD ready to run ignition, centech, desert khaki....everything else stock: 1970 Bronco 302 3 spd, Koenig PTO winch : 1990 AM GENERAL HUMVEE 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T : 2008 Honda Element (aka Bronco Concept) : 1968 Dodge Charger in pieces
rydog1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/18, 05:12 PM   #11
JefeAZ
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Day Bow Bow

Tucson, AZ
Figured we could sand the rest of the body to save on labor costs. That was a tough, messy job with 2 small orbital sanders. Never again...

Doors appear to be from a different body as they only had yellow on them. The body has the original limestone poly green, red and 2 different yellows on it as well as numerous layers of primer/filler

Had an amazing fabricator come by and roll the rear fender lips for some more tire clearance. He wound up doing it by hand which was an art form to watch. Rob Cochran from Bonzer Customs (https://www.instagram.com/bonzercustoms/)

I cant seem to find an after photo but here is what they looked like before. That edge is now completely tucked so it won't slash the tires like it has in the past

Sent a bunch of pieces to rydog1130 (www.lubr4x4.com) to blast and powdercoat satin silver to match the door handles, mirrors and wipers. He did an awesome job and the price could not be touched in town

More sanding and not finding any rust

One last little section to clean off and then its naked! Still shocked how good of shape the body is in but its been in Arizona for a long time

So we're digging all the filler out of the rear body seam. The prior owner filled them in and they obviously cracked but we wondered why he did that. The pick Im using to clean the seam out gets caught in a piece of metal in that lower section. Im real confused so I get the sander back out and find this

Hello first major issue! What a horrible fix haha. The body side is completely rotted out but the taillight panel is pretty solid with just some surface rust

1974 BRONCO F8 LUBR
2014 SVT RAPTOR SUPERCAB
Old 07/23/18, 05:28 PM   #12
JefeAZ
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Day Bow Bow

Tucson, AZ
So Rob Cochran calls me back up while we're working on this patch and has a body/paint guy he wants to bring by. 30 minutes later he shows up and takes a good look over it and gives us a price that was hard to believe. Basically told us to stop right where we were, drop the Bronco off and we will get a finished product back. He even agreed to knock the price down if we came out and helped get it prepped which is exactly what I was wanting to do. So we got all the parts out, laid out a build plan and had the Bronco over to him the following weekend. Shannon Schierer of Schierer Customs (https://www.behance.net/SSchierer). He has done all sorts of classic vehicles and also works with investors to make paint shops profitable.

My new garage mate is a '71 429 Torino

There'a also a Scout in there from time to time which is going to be an amazing rig

So we head out the first weekend and we get right to work sanding the door jams, the cowl and tight spots we didn't have the right tools for. This guy has every possible body tool you could ever need. He welded up every hole in the bedrails as we wanted a smooth look

We welded sleeves into the frame to beef them up for the rock solid bumpers

Original green and a teaser...

POR15 on the fenders, cage and bumpers

Raptor Liner done

1974 BRONCO F8 LUBR
2014 SVT RAPTOR SUPERCAB
Old 07/23/18, 05:42 PM   #13
JefeAZ
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Day Bow Bow

Tucson, AZ
He cut out the rusty quarter section and instead of fabbing a piece I just ordered a new quarter. That took almost 3 weeks to show up

He was pretty impressed with the quality (CJ Pony Parts) I have 90% of a new quarter in case anyone needs a piece!

Also cut out the rust behind the speedo in the cowl and formed in two new pieces

Spent an entire day getting the bed liner and paint off the cowl which was much messier than sanding the body. We were filthy from head to toe

Then we started pulling some dents out with this amazing tool. It arcs itself to the body and then the fulcrum handle pops the dents out. It also had several different types of attachments. He could not believe how solid that rear taillight panel was. He beat the crap out of with this rubbed tipped air hammer and it didnt budge one bit.

1974 BRONCO F8 LUBR
2014 SVT RAPTOR SUPERCAB
Old 07/23/18, 05:58 PM   #14
JefeAZ
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Day Bow Bow

Tucson, AZ
Dad and I got to weld for the first time, sealed up the antenna holes. It wasn't pretty...

Shannon welding up some grill holes

Filled in the hood openings for a smooth look

Cut out the fresh air vents, still needs some sanding

Attached the fenders to the grill and put it back on to check fitment/gaps. That was tough to put back together! We might do it in separate pieces after paint goes on

Doors on

Fabbed the hood strut brackets to the fenders

Shannon started smoothing out the bedrails and cut the seam line back in up top. Old school methods and does everything by hand

1974 BRONCO F8 LUBR
2014 SVT RAPTOR SUPERCAB
Old 07/23/18, 08:12 PM   #15
Dbteak
Contributor

Sparks, NV

My Gallery
Garage
very nice work. I remember it gave me big boost when I bolted everything together for a test fit. Can't wait to see it finished. Doug

Everything is a hammer except a screwdriver... That's a chisel..

1966 LUBR Cummins 4BT, NV3550, AtlasII
Build Thread: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174452
Dbteak is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat