Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 12/28/18, 02:02 PM   #46
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
I was trying to take the lens off to start and ultimately change out the bulb.
I did finally get the screws out of the front passenger side lens, but the lens will still not come off or budge.
That's because it's not a "lens" per sť. It's a "housing with a translucent face" more like.
I was trying to say in the previous thread that it's just one piece and not serviceable/removable without special work. You can only change the bulb from the back.
The lens is part of the housing and is glued/sonic-welded to the housing. So the only way to remove it is to cut it off.

Quote:
The lens back to the white trim is stuck solid to the chrome plate.
Well that's a bummer. The chrome bit is definitely a separate piece, or at least it used to be, before the PO glued it with silicone.

Quote:
Also tried to pull the socket out from the rear, but its stuck too.
Guess the PO was tired of leaking, or of the socket coming out on it's own.
You did try twisting it though, correct? It's a quarter-turn kind of thing.

Good luck!

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/18, 07:58 PM   #47
broncobsession
Contributor
Not a bronco guru

All Over the Place
Garage
How big is the garage. I dig it!

Always looking for the next project.
broncobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/18, 08:53 PM   #48
Audifan
Contributor

Sparks
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobsession View Post
How big is the garage. I dig it!
It's 28'Wx53'L with 16' stem walls. 14x14 and two 8x8 doors.

The mezzanine runs the entire length of the west 53' wall over the top of the single car door and is 10'8" wide.

I wanted to go bigger, but county setback requirements and our HOA's CC&R's wouldn't let us.

Once the mezzanine is finished we can texture and paint...then start moving everything in...can't wait...it'll be amazing to empty my attached 3 car garage and have it actually hold 3 cars

Last edited by Audifan; 12/31/18 at 07:34 PM..

EFI 302 Cobra roller motor bored .30 over, C6 auto, NP205, 44 front, Currie 9" rear, 3.5 WH suspension, 2" body, 35x13.5 on Cager 15x10 | Build Thread
Audifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/18, 08:55 PM   #49
Audifan
Contributor

Sparks
Paul...thanks for the clarification, I figured thats what you meant and yea, its stuck in there good. I did try to do the quarter turn twist a few times as well.

Gonna give my FIL shot at getting it loose tomorrow, and if not, I'm just gonna break the face off and see whats really holding it in place.

EFI 302 Cobra roller motor bored .30 over, C6 auto, NP205, 44 front, Currie 9" rear, 3.5 WH suspension, 2" body, 35x13.5 on Cager 15x10 | Build Thread
Old 12/30/18, 08:17 AM   #50
sprdv1
Contributor
REBEL

Guess you better call the Whaaaambulance

Lees Summit-Missouri

My Gallery
Quote:

Once the mezzanine is finished we can texture and paint...then start moving everything in...can't wait...it'll be amazing to empty have my attached 3 car garage and have it actually hold 3 cars
I heard that... I'm sure you can't wait..

sprdv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/18, 07:26 PM   #51
Audifan
Contributor

Sparks
Smog issue solved

Got referred to a different engine shop and was able to get the Bronco in first thing this morning. The shop is Infinite Velocity Motorsports and I was quite impressed with the owner, Jay's, knowledge of EB's and my style of engine.

Asked him to start with the engine and smog issue, then also go over the whole bronco and see what he finds.

Jay called me back this afternoon, with 2 big issues and a list of little nickel and dime type things that can be addressed whenever.

The big 2...

1. The Smog issue, is being caused by a huge exhaust leak, which is also messing with the O2 sensor. The exhaust pipes are also small and routed very poorly through the undercarriage. This issue doesn't bug me one bit, as I had already planned to install a new exhaust, and instead of waiting, I'll be having a custom 3" full exhaust fabbed up this week and we'll install it as soon as it's done.

2. The Bronco was shifting very hard in certain gears, which I attributed to the shift kit, but as it turns out, the reason for the inconsistent shifting, is because the PO used 1/4" galvanized all thread to make the linkage...which is bending and rusting. Plus the way the PO routed the old exhaust, prevented the Lokar kick down cable from being installed properly, so they bent the bracket out and jury rigged it. Needless to say this needs to be fixed and will be as soon as I decide on a new tilt steering column, that way we can install the new column and fix all the linkage and shifting issues at once.

Other little things, are paper seals leaking that need to be replaced, wires going through holes without grommets so they are rubbing through the insulation and shorting.

The only other thing he said I might want to look at was the fuel tank, which has a top mounted external fuel pump with lots of little pieces of hose and 90degree connectors, He said it looks very inefficient and should more than likely be replaced with a more traditional tank/bump combo...or have him modify this tank with a new pump.

Good news is I should be able to get the Smog certificate by next week and get it registered...which brings me to another point...INSURANCE...holy shit balls batman!!! To get stated value insurance I had to go with Haggerty and my Premiums are $1,500 per year!!!! ...That's nuts...my twin turbo RS7 is less than that! :/

Oh well, it's a pay to play world, so nothing to do but suck it up and move on.

Old 12/31/18, 07:53 PM   #52
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Doesn't Haggerty have lots of restrictions as well? Such as treating it like a "classic car" and only driving 5,000 mi a year, and entering it in at lest two shows a year?
That's what they told me I'd have to do with my '68.

You're not going to run dual-3" exhaust, are you? A single three hopefully.

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
Old 12/31/18, 07:58 PM   #53
Audifan
Contributor

Sparks
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDonk View Post
Doesn't Haggerty have lots of restrictions as well? Such as treating it like a "classic car" and only driving 5,000 mi a year, and entering it in at lest two shows a year?
That's what they told me I'd have to do with my '68.

You're not going to run dual-3" exhaust, are you? A single three hopefully.

Paul
I have no restrictions on my Haggerty policy and have same full coverage limits I have on all my other cars. The only thing they questioned me about was the engine...I had to send them specs to prove it wasn't "blown" or raced out.

As for exhaust...no not dual.

Also, once the exhaust and transmission is fixed, they will do a full Dyno tune of the engine.

Old 12/31/18, 08:09 PM   #54
Audifan
Contributor

Sparks
Since I was Bronco-less today and took the day off, I knocked out a bunch of work on the mezzanine.

Finished gluing and nailing the inch and an eighth tongue and groove subfloor down.

Notched and installed all the railing supports. Still need to bolt them in tomorrow.

Threw up a temporary railing to keep the electrician and flooring guy from falling off.

Glued, nailed and lagged Honch braces to all floor posts.

My 550Lb Lift gets here on Thursday and will go in the slot next to the stairs.

Can't wait to finish this thing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	honch1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	468070   Click image for larger version

Name:	honch4.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	468071   Click image for larger version

Name:	honch2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	468072   Click image for larger version

Name:	honch3.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	468073  

Old 01/04/19, 02:19 PM   #55
Audifan
Contributor

Sparks
We put the bronco back on the lift today to start on the new exhaust and discovered a new surprise...cracked headers...yay.

So, talked with the engine shop about options, found what we liked and ordered a new set of headers.

Everything is on hold till the headers get here.

Old 01/04/19, 04:07 PM   #56
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Well bummer. That exhaust has been one headache after another hasn't it?
At least it'll be all new now, and in theory won't have any of those previous issues.

I wonder if the cracked header was just a natural phenomenon, or if it was related to the pipes being loose and all that?

Where was it cracked?

Paul

www.wildhorses4x4.com
Old 01/11/19, 10:33 PM   #57
Audifan
Contributor

Sparks
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDonk View Post
Well bummer. That exhaust has been one headache after another hasn't it?
At least it'll be all new now, and in theory won't have any of those previous issues.

I wonder if the cracked header was just a natural phenomenon, or if it was related to the pipes being loose and all that?

Where was it cracked?

Paul
Yep, all new and sounds great.

The headers were cracked right at the collector.

New headers are headman inch and 3/4.

Also, now that the exhaust leak isn't messing up the O2 sensor, the engine is running right.

Passed smog test with no issues.

Next up will probably be new fuel tank and pump to get rid of the hodgepodge set up thats there, as it's the weakest link in terms of DD reliability.

Then fix shift linkage, and swap in new column shift steering column.

Hopefully at that point I can start doing fun mods.

Old 01/11/19, 10:38 PM   #58
Audifan
Contributor

Sparks
Oh, and there was another EB at the shop that was being picked up as I walked in.

It was a gorgeous metallic green with a white hard top and a 5.0 Coyote engine....made me realize how far I still have to go on mine (not that I've really started yet)

Didn't get a chance to meet the owner, but hopefully will get a chance to connect with another local EB fan. Apparently he has a few other EB's in his collection as well.

Old 02/11/19, 05:10 PM   #59
Audifan
Contributor

Sparks
Been doing that work thing and haven't had much time to mess with the Bronco...plus the fact that it's been raining and snowing AND my bronco hasn't had a top on it since I bought it.

The PO did give me a very nice Bestop soft top that he said went with the bronco, but when I got around to trying to install it, it was clear he'd never tried.

All the mounting hardware that was on the bronco was wrong...Kayline riser, rampage side rails. And Bestop soft top frame and fabric.

So ordered the necessary replacement parts from Besttop at the start of January and after shipping me the wrong parts 3 different times, they finally managed to send me the 2 windshield brackets I needed at the start of Feb.

Lost a month of driving the bronco due to that fiasco.

But happy to report that the with the help of my 2 little workers the top is now on and fits better than I thought it would.

We also worked on adjusting the doors to shut correctly with the new weather stripping.

Found that the PO had taken duckbilled pliars and bent the bottoms of the doors out to try to match the body line, so gonna have to figure out how to fix that.

I also could not get the striker plates loose to adjust them. We tried PB blaster, impact driver and ratchet with leverage bar and couldn't get them to budge.

After searching the forums, it looks like people are having to heat them up and drill them out...hoping I can avoid doing that as I'm not ready to burn the paint off this thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	softtop1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	471223   Click image for larger version

Name:	softtop2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	471224   Click image for larger version

Name:	strikerplate.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	471225  

Old 02/11/19, 09:08 PM   #60
Dbteak
Contributor

Sparks, NV

My Gallery
Garage
Keep hitting it with the PB Blaster every couple of days then after a couple of weeks use a 5 lb hammer with the impact driver. Doug

Everything is a hammer except a screwdriver... That's a chisel..

1966 LUBR Cummins 4BT, NV3550, AtlasII
Build Thread: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174452
Dbteak is online now   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat