Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 03/08/19, 08:59 PM   #211
Scoop
Contributor
Bronco Snob

Dripping Springs, TX

My Gallery
Garage
I got the aux tank installed. It went in pretty easy. I installed all new hoses except the main fill hose.

Then I test drove it running on the aux tank only. I went about 5 miles at 70 + mph and then turned around thinking I had fixed the issue. Heading back at 70 it did it again. Not as noticeable but still there. I slowed down to 65 and it ran perfectly again. So I spent there rest of the day installing an electric fuel pump to see if that helps. I have not tested it yet. I will on the trip to Houston on Saturday.

~v~ 72 Pattina Bronco, 74 Ranger, 76 Trail Rig/Crawler, 78 Custom 410M, 84 Custom Big Six
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/19, 10:06 PM   #212
Scoop
Contributor
Bronco Snob

Dripping Springs, TX

My Gallery
Garage
I made it to Houston and back without much issue. The Cherokee wiper conversion worked very well and I was lucky to have done it before the trip. I did find I have a leaky drip rail and it dripped on my knee during the harder rain periods!! It was 175 miles one way. The trip out was great - with the new aux tank and the electric pump I drove much of the time at 70-75 mph without a miss. I ran the aux tank out (got about 100 miles on the full aux tank) and switched tanks. No problems. I filled up the aux tank but kept it on the main tank to see the range on the main tank. On the way home about 50 miles out of Houston it started missing at speed again. I slowed down and it smoothed out but then ran out of gas in another 10 miles or so. I filled up both tanks and ran a while on each - again at 70-75 mph - with no problems. ??? I think I've narrowed it down to restricted flow on the main tank. I need to order a new sending unit/pick up and see if that helps. But overall a great trip. This Bronco drives very nicely. Gas mileage checked out at 15 mpg.

The Meet & Greet was well attended with about 14 Broncos and probably 40 plus people. Here are a few pics.

~v~ 72 Pattina Bronco, 74 Ranger, 76 Trail Rig/Crawler, 78 Custom 410M, 84 Custom Big Six
Old 03/10/19, 06:46 AM   #213
phred
Bronco Guru

"can't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change"

atlanta
eBay: brizance
Hey Gary, is that a free wheeling edition parked beside you in that last photo? If so any info on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/19, 08:03 AM   #214
Scoop
Contributor
Bronco Snob

Dripping Springs, TX

My Gallery
Garage
Yes, original Free Wheelin' Bronco. All original paint and stripes. Overall in pretty nice shape. He's had it a while and is not sure if he's going to restore it or keep it as is.

More interesting is he recently picked up a project for his daughter. A Stroppe Baja with race history. Found it in a field north of Houston. He paid $3,000. But it needs work!

Old 03/10/19, 03:10 PM   #215
phred
Bronco Guru

"can't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change"

atlanta
eBay: brizance
Very cool. Always wanted a free wheeling package truck. Guess Iíll keep looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/19, 02:18 PM   #216
Scoop
Contributor
Bronco Snob

Dripping Springs, TX

My Gallery
Garage
Working on my tire carrier.

Old 03/13/19, 09:32 PM   #217
Scoop
Contributor
Bronco Snob

Dripping Springs, TX

My Gallery
Garage
The patina treatment on the tire carrier.

I need to fix the tailgate before I can mount the carrier latch mechanism. The carrier I got from Jason at BC came with a "Ranch Hand" bracket to mount the spare on the side. I'm going to install it so I can secure the rack until I get the tailgate fixed. It's a cool addition. One problem is that they were not designed to be used with Wild Horses Gorilla War Flares! I'll need to space the rack out so it does not hit the flare. I may not get anymore done on this Bronco until I get back from our upcoming weekend trip to Big Bend. I hear the Bluebonnets are gorgeous this year!!

Old 03/24/19, 06:53 PM   #218
Scoop
Contributor
Bronco Snob

Dripping Springs, TX

My Gallery
Garage
After a break to go to Big Bend I'm back on the Patina Bronco! I got the tire carrier and Ranch Hand bracket installed. I refurbished the tail gate latch but need to fix the tail gate before I reinstall it.

I had to use a 1 inch space to hold the rack off the flare when it's in the Ranch Hand position.

I'm still looking for the tire mounting hardware to actually hang a tire on it!

I also worked on refurbishing the stock steering wheel I picked up from BC Broncos. It was in poor shape with some cracks at the base of the spokes - but it was still the best out of a bunch I looked at!

I filled the cracks with a paintable silicone caulk, used black primer and then painted it in VHT "Black Pearl" paint. I then satin clear coated it.

Here it is cleaned up and ready for prime.

Painted and clear coated.

Next up I need to paint the steering column and mount the refurbished steering wheel.

Old 03/25/19, 04:20 PM   #219
JeffG
Contributor

San Antonio, TX
eBay: 1969Jeff
Garage
Thanks for the tip on filling in the cracks on the steering wheel. I have a decent one with a few cracks that need to be taken care of.
JeffG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/19, 07:34 AM   #220
Scoop
Contributor
Bronco Snob

Dripping Springs, TX

My Gallery
Garage
Hopefully getting a roll bar installed today. We were going to do it last week but the Bronco started running very rough. It took me a few days to fix the problem. I first thought it was electrical and chased some electrical issues. Coil, bad wiring, timing, points, etc. Turned out to be the carb - a thorough cleaning and rebuild got it running like a top again. Tweaking the electrical issues helped some as well! I'm guessing it was one residual bad gas that gummed up the carb. I really thought I had flushed the fuel system pretty well . . . but I apparently did not.

A member here has bent up all the tube to look like a Stroppe roll bar and we are going to fit it up this evening.

Old 03/27/19, 09:09 AM   #221
CopperRanger
Contributor
Bronco Guru

If it ain't broke don't fix it

SE Michigan

My Gallery
Garage
Everything is looking real good, nice work. Just curious, what electrical did you tweak?

74 Ranger/302 /Auto/PS/Original Paint
CopperRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/19, 10:38 AM   #222
Scoop
Contributor
Bronco Snob

Dripping Springs, TX

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperRanger View Post
Everything is looking real good, nice work. Just curious, what electrical did you tweak?
Thanks! The positive cable was corroded at the connection to the solenoid and the positive wire from the solenoid to the wiring harness was corroded and just conducting by a few wires. I replaced the cable and soldered in a new lead to the solenoid. I replaced the points and condenser and reset the points to .017" and the timing to 10 degrees.

Old 03/27/19, 08:33 PM   #223
Scoop
Contributor
Bronco Snob

Dripping Springs, TX

My Gallery
Garage
We got the role bar fitted up and welded together. Here is some work in progress pics.

We did not install it in the Bronco yet - I need to paint it first. But here is the finished product.

Old 03/28/19, 07:51 AM   #224
broncobsession
Contributor
Not a bronco guru

All Over the Place
Garage
What is the OD of that tube?

Always looking for the next project.
broncobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/19, 07:53 AM   #225
Scoop
Contributor
Bronco Snob

Dripping Springs, TX

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobsession View Post
What is the OD of that tube?
2 inch DOM.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat