• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer serp tech help

TTownEP

I am trying to wrap my head around this power steering pump system.

I have a 4x4x2 box (previous owner installed) and I have it adapted to -6AN male with a 90 degree fitting (also from the PO so I don’t know where it came from) so that end is good to go.

I had my local shop make me a high pressure line with -6AN females on each end.

I have the Russell 16mm to -6AN male adapter from Summit on the pump.

I cannot seem to find a 90 degree fitting to go from the male fitting on the pump to the female fitting on the hose that isn’t made of aluminum, like these. I need to turn off the top of the pump to head down towards the box.

1233c15cbfb6e782b625bb783f7f7337.jpg

Can I use aluminum safely? Does anyone know of a steel version?

Here are the fittings I scavenged from the old pressure hose. The 45 degree bent one that says pump is what I need to replace.

0c6f7035c37c617bfc0e781004dc5c22.jpg

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Tom Lee (of Lee Power Steering) has stated that the 90 degree fittings like that blue one restrict the flow too much and should not be used.
The ones with the tubing bent in a curve do not restrict the flow.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Tom Lee (of Lee Power Steering) has stated that the 90 degree fittings like that blue one restrict the flow too much and should not be used.
The ones with the tubing bent in a curve do not restrict the flow.

Yup, you need sweep style 90’s. And they need to be steel. PS pumps can produce over 1500 psi, those aluminum fittings aren’t up to holding that kind of pressure.

Mark

KBUCK1

I made my hoses with fittings from summit

Attachments

• IMG_20170613_144423.jpg
    IMG_20170613_144423.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

I made my hoses with fittings from summit

I have dug through pages and pages of Summit fittings and haven't found anything like that. Weird.

edit: well, ones that aren't a hose end. My hose is already terminated with -6 females. Maybe I need to scrap it and just make my own hose.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Is the tight 90° fitting flow an issue on the return?I added the bc fluid cooler and I think it came with a tight o0.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I am trying to wrap my head around this power steering pump system.

I have a 4x4x2 box (previous owner installed) and I have it adapted to -6AN male with a 90 degree fitting (also from the PO so I don’t know where it came from) so that end is good to go.

I had my local shop make me a high pressure line with -6AN females on each end.

I have the Russell 16mm to -6AN male adapter from Summit on the pump.

I cannot seem to find a 90 degree fitting to go from the male fitting on the pump to the female fitting on the hose that isn’t made of aluminum, like these. I need to turn off the top of the pump to head down towards the box.

You will probably have pressure issues. The Explorer pump is well known for being finiky about the adaptor that is screwed into it. The adaptor from Lee's Power steering works, most others do not. They hold the relief valve open so no pressure can ever build or something like that.

KBUCK1

You will probably have pressure issues. The Explorer pump is well known for being finiky about the adaptor that is screwed into it. The adaptor from Lee's Power steering works, most others do not. They hold the relief valve open so no pressure can ever build or something like that.

I believe mine is the Russell fitting also. I do know it came from Summit. Haven't had any problems. I could just be lucky though. I have heard of there being problems though

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

I didn’t read about those issues until I already had it in hand. At least I will be in the know if it gives me trouble.

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

Is it typical to have to massage some material off of the driver side bracket to get the reservoir to fit after spacing it down with the bracket? Mine hits the reservoir outlet where the 3rd bolt would have gone. I am comfortable cutting it, but I hadn't seen it mentioned, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid.

ibyD5Cr.png

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

I actually decided to make a new aluminum bracket. I have access to a hydraulic shear/press at work, and I punched the old bracket with 7/16” holes and as soon as I finished I found the 1/4” punch so I wanted it to be neater and remade it at lunch today. So, I spaced it backwards a little more and it misses everything nicely.

ba21440e9023ab8f27627272be815995.jpg

09684f9e8bbeda172088ff86afbf74c0.jpg

broncochevy

Loc.
Orcutt, CA
Glad you got it figured out. I am jealous of the tools you use to be able to do those things so easy. Are you running hydroboost, or do you plan to?

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

Glad you got it figured out. I am jealous of the tools you use to be able to do those things so easy. Are you running hydroboost, or do you plan to?

I am far from experienced at fabricating things, but I do have a lot of toys here and bosses cool enough to let us use them, so I hope to put them to good use.

I have no plans to hydroboost, unless I just run out of things to do later :)p)

KBUCK1

Is this 2 different broncos? The engine bay look as different in the 2 pictures. Doesn't matter. Just curious.

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

Is this 2 different broncos? The engine bay look as different in the 2 pictures. Doesn't matter. Just curious.

I didn't feel like getting up and getting a picture the first time, so I collected it from the tech article on the serp swap. Then later that night I went out to work on it, so I got a picture of what I had done. So, yes, they are different.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
We had to clearance the bracket on my serp conversion.;)

Attachments

• IMG_20190728_122151.jpg
    IMG_20190728_122151.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20190728_122133.jpg
    IMG_20190728_122133.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 43