• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Serpentine kit

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If the motor is being built by blueprint, ask them for an Explorer timing cover and damper instead of the standard rotation parts. Both are available new in the aftermarket. Best case, it shows up with what you need. Worst case, they say no and you are in the exact position you are in now.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Sanndamann3 kits are complete with the very specific bolts you need. Usually need to be cleaned up and painted, replace the pulleys and away you go. Easiest route to the goal.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Sanndamann3 I got 2 Complete serpentine set ups and all the brackets were detailed I didn’t have to do anything to them they look great

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the motor is being built by blueprint, ask them for an Explorer timing cover and damper instead of the standard rotation parts. Both are available new in the aftermarket. Best case, it shows up with what you need. Worst case, they say no and you are in the exact position you are in now.

They will do that, I remember somebody a while back asking for the explorer front cover and they did it for him.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Timing Cover forward will have to be replaced.

The guy, mentioned above, here on this site that sells the whole kit makes it very easy. (Bronco Parts for sale)

You will not be disappointed with the Explorer 5.0L Serpentine system. I have installed this system on just about every 302/5.0/351W I have had. I would install on the 351C as well, but it does not fit.

Other Serpentine Systems, will most likely, limit the room you have for Radiator Thickness Clearance.

Since there is no Mechanical Fuel Pump Boss on the Explorer Timing Cover, an Electric Fuel Pump would be required for Carb or EFI.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
They will do that, I remember somebody a while back asking for the explorer front cover and they did it for him.

I was thinking Blueprint was very accommodating but I wasn't completely sure. Looks like my memory wasn't that bad afterall.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Timing Cover forward will have to be replaced.

The guy, mentioned above, here on this site that sells the whole kit makes it very easy. (Bronco Parts for sale)

You will not be disappointed with the Explorer 5.0L Serpentine system. I have installed this system on just about every 302/5.0/351W I have had. I would install on the 351C as well, but it does not fit.

Other Serpentine Systems, will most likely, limit the room you have for Radiator Thickness Clearance.

Since there is no Mechanical Fuel Pump Boss on the Explorer Timing Cover, an Electric Fuel Pump would be required for Carb or EFI.
Yes, Cleveland type heads won't allow the explorer front dress serp kit to mount up.
I have look at ways to adapt it but too much extensive work is involved to the C type heads.
Adaptors won't work as it would move everything forward.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mark, with the resistance to change you have on some items, and your normal recommendation to stick with V-belts, why are you even thinking about a dual-belt serpentine setup? Are you missing some of your original parts at this point? Is the new engine going to be a 28oz or a 50oz engine?

If it's just to keep with a standard rotation pump and fan, then why not stay V-belt for less cost and more fan clearance? If it's just to keep the mechanical pump, then why not stick with V-belts for the same reasons?
As has been said, the V-belts work fine for most situations. If you need more grip due to a larger alternator upgrade (you are not planning that as well, are you?) then workarounds have been figured out for that two. Just run a larger alternator pulley, or a dual-groove alternator pulley.

I'm just asking because adding serpentine at this level seems like a huge waste of money just to have less, or certainly no more than normal, room for your fan near the radiator.
Seems like there was a discussion about this just a couple of months ago with pictures and discussion about clearances. Was that your thread Mad? If not maybe someone's got a link to it if you missed it the first time around.
Maybe I'm off base and the clearance issue is not that big a deal with certain kits, but it seems like it would be on most of them.

March Performance used to be the go-to for serp systems, but at least back in the day they were too long for Broncos. I've heard that since then they have added some lower profile kits that would offer more fan clearance with the radiator, but have not looked into them.

Paul

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Mark, with the resistance to change you have on some items, and your normal recommendation to stick with V-belts, why are you even thinking about a dual-belt serpentine setup? Are you missing some of your original parts at this point? Is the new engine going to be a 28oz or a 50oz engine?

If it's just to keep with a standard rotation pump and fan, then why not stay V-belt for less cost and more fan clearance? If it's just to keep the mechanical pump, then why not stick with V-belts for the same reasons?
As has been said, the V-belts work fine for most situations. If you need more grip due to a larger alternator upgrade (you are not planning that as well, are you?) then workarounds have been figured out for that two. Just run a larger alternator pulley, or a dual-groove alternator pulley.

I'm just asking because adding serpentine at this level seems like a huge waste of money just to have less, or certainly no more than normal, room for your fan near the radiator.
Seems like there was a discussion about this just a couple of months ago with pictures and discussion about clearances. Was that your thread Mad? If not maybe someone's got a link to it if you missed it the first time around.
Maybe I'm off base and the clearance issue is not that big a deal with certain kits, but it seems like it would be on most of them.

March Performance used to be the go-to for serp systems, but at least back in the day they were too long for Broncos. I've heard that since then they have added some lower profile kits that would offer more fan clearance with the radiator, but have not looked into them.

Paul
I recall searching for a clutch fan that will work with the serp set up as there are several options with the fan depth into shroud.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I can understand the desire to retain V belts and keep the truck more or less how it was made from the factory. My Mustang was the 1st pony in my corral & its more or less stock.
My Bronco is the other extreme with fuel injected 351/4R/NP205 and an endless list of mods...
So I understand both sides of the coin. If you decide to go Explorer serp and interested in a kit, let me know. If you retain V belts then thats great too. What ever you decide, that is the right answer.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
This might be for Blu's Falcon/Ranchero build.
If so I do not believe the Explorer PS pump will fit under the hood anyway.

March always used to sell a sbf serpentine pulley/bracket set. I'm sure they still do.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I recall searching for a clutch fan that will work with the serp set up as there are several options with the fan depth into shroud.
The answer is explorer steel fan which gives you the heavy duty clutch which sits about 1-1.75 back from rad and at least half way into WH shroud.

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA

Paul

I agree Paul. I'm keeping the v-belts and 1G alternator in my Bronco. It works great.
This new motor is going into my '62 Ranchero project. I'm pretty much starting from scratch. My Blueprint engine just has the old style timing cover.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
The Sanndamann3 kits are complete with the very specific bolts you need. Usually need to be cleaned up and painted, replace the pulleys and away you go. Easiest route to the goal.

Sanndamann3 I got 2 Complete serpentine set ups and all the brackets were detailed I didn’t have to do anything to them they look great

sounds like a pretty good deal...

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
This might be for Blu's Falcon/Ranchero build.
If so I do not believe the Explorer PS pump will fit under the hood anyway.

March always used to sell a sbf serpentine pulley/bracket set. I'm sure they still do.

Yes, this engine will be going into my ‘62 Ranchero. It’s tempting to put it into our Bronco, but the power curve would be way off for the way we use the Bronco. Why don’t you think the power steering pump would fit under a Falcon hood?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Here is a side by side pic. CVF on the left. Explorer serp on the right..

Attachments

• 138788320_10219097495854381_8549653908252115869_o.jpg
    138788320_10219097495854381_8549653908252115869_o.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 99

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Thanks. CVF looks to be a lower profile. I'll need that!
if I had to choose, I'd go with the explorer front dress everytime.

I have put together both of them and the explorer front dress is soo much easier with less parts that does the same thing. It is also much closer to the face of the block which allow for more fan options. The CVF kit I know i will have limited space to the radiator.

The CVF kit is nice though very pricey. They do have warranty on the parts and equipment but it won't be something that I can pick up at your local auto parts store.

luke_hopper

has anyone used he CVF kit with the short water pump? Apparently it shortens the entire system by about an inch. Wondering if this would be enough to use a mechanical fan with the CVF.