• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lokar floor shifter and emergency brakes

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thinking of going lokar floor shifter, 4R70W, and floor mounted emergency brake.
Lokar makes cables for the explorer disc, which I am going to run. Anybody running these together? How big is the hole for the shifter? I want to make sure they play well together before I purchase.

Scrapper_MV

I have the Lokar e-brake handle with Explorer rear discs and I do not like it. It does not work well and I regret cutting a hole in my floor board to install it. The boot that they sell with it doesn’t even work. Now I’m looking at junk yard e-brake handles to find something better. That’s my honest opinion.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My buddy suggested a Cherokee or wrangler. Does it not pull the cables tight or what?

Last edited:

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
I cut a hole in the floor for a Lokar emergency brake with the goal of removing the foot brake. I regretted it and have since filled up the hole.

I didn’t particularly like the ‘action’, and I also missed the ‘think’ when releasing the foot brake.

It’s these little subtle things that contribute or detract from the overall feel of the build.

Scrapper_MV

My buddy suggested a Cherokee or wrangler. Does it not pull the cables tight or what?

Yep, it does not provide enough leverage to actuate the e-brake. If I pull very hard with two hands I can get it to hold the Bronco, but that gets old real quick.

Scrapper_MV

I like the old Toyota truck e-brake handles that pulled straight out from under the dash. I wonder how well that would work.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
my friend has used several of the pull a part handles in street rods with lokar cables.