• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

76 Bronco - Special Decor Build

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll take some additional pictures Monday after we sneak the Rolling Chassis under the Tub. It will soon look like a Bronco again.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Great build and color choice! Gonna look really nice I think with the charcoal gray. Had it on a GTI and always liked the color. Will be keeping an eye on this as it evolves!

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Body Tub and Rolling Chassis

Finally got the Body Tub on the Rolling Chassis today. Most or the other body panels were hung as well.

Attachments

• 76 Bronco - Tub 1.jpg
    76 Bronco - Tub 1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 76 Bronco - Tub 2.jpg
    76 Bronco - Tub 2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 76 Bronco - Passenger Side Tub.jpg
    76 Bronco - Passenger Side Tub.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 76 Bronco - Front Tub.jpg
    76 Bronco - Front Tub.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 76 Bronco - Engine Compartment.jpg
    76 Bronco - Engine Compartment.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 161
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I switched to 351c motor.

I'll take pictures of complete system when all parts arrive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Deleted prior info. Changed motor

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have not decided on what Distributor I will use for Timing Control with the FAST EFI system.

An adjustable rotor can be installed in a MSD distributor I already have. With the Mechanical Advance Locked Out, the Adjustable Rotor can be used to "Phase" the timing. I will probably go this route since I already have the Distributor.

A FAST Dual Sinc Distributor or a Crank Trigger are other options for timing control as well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have any more details about adding the gas doors to the body? Love to see some of that.

And you said the top was originally white. Is that confirmed on the Marti report or by your own observations? In '76 a Decor Bronco could easily have had a body color top.

Hope the EFI works out well. Been wondering about aftermarket controllers using mostly the Ford hardware too. Can't wait for the updates on that.

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't have any additional pictures of the Fuel doors install. Basically metal squares with the doors assemblies grafted in to body.

Yep, the white top option is on the Marti Report. When complete the truck will be one solid color, Magnetic, with black grill insert and front of core support as original.

The FAST EZ-EFI 2.0 seems to be one of the better aftermarket EFIs now with Timing Control. Holley has a similar one too. Kinda limited if using the Ford GT-40 Multi-Port Intake.

I'll keep all updated. My other 77 may be done first though.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've decided to pull the C-4 and go with a 4R70W with Bauman Control. Slight delay.

I may do the same with my 77 as well???

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just drove in a friend's '69 with the 4R tranny, that just swapped out his Baumann for a very nifty controller that is like a modern bit of tech. Instead of the big clunky controller that was more finicky to tune, his new one is a little LCD screen that mounts to the top of his steering column. Very compact, but with a big enough display to read the included tachometer (and maybe other functions?) and make quick and easy adjustments to the shifting points.
He's ecstatic about how this new one works.

Maybe you all have heard of it, but I had not. Don't remember the name but I can get it if you are not aware of alternatives.

Paul

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Paul - Are you talking about the US Shift Quick 4?

Something else?

Are the 4.56 Gears a good match with your tire size (31s) and 4R70W trans?

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got the 95 Mustang GT-40 Intake (351W Lower) installed and Mocked up this morning to check hood clearance.

I have a WH 1" Body Lift installed and a Stock Hood. There is about 1/8" clearance from hood to front Mounting bold on Upper Intake. Hood Braces are not in the way at all.

Attachments

• 76 Bronco - Engine Mock4.jpg
    76 Bronco - Engine Mock4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 76 Bronco - Engine Mock3.jpg
    76 Bronco - Engine Mock3.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 76 Bronco - Engine Mock2.jpg
    76 Bronco - Engine Mock2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 76 Bronco - Engine Mock1.jpg
    76 Bronco - Engine Mock1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I mocked up the Radiator, 17" Rigid Fan and 1/2" Spacer today. As you can see there is plenty of room from the front of the Fan to the Radiator. Just over an inch. The spacer is needed to clear the accessory pulleys. I could even install a 1" spacer if needed to go farther into Shroud.

Tom's Bronco Parts Aluminum 5.0L Conversion Radiator
17" Rigid Fan - Don't know cfm but it's a TON.
1/2" Spacer
96 E-Series Water Pump and Accessory Brackets (Saginaw Pump)

Pulled 351W from a 96 E-Series Van. I installed the front dress for the van too. (F-series is the same) All Ford Parts and fits like it was designed for the Bronco, with only MINOR trimming of the stock, original fan shroud.

The Problem that a lot of people seem to have is trying to make everything fit with an extra thick Aluminum Radiator. Then there is NO room to mount a decent fan to get any air to move through it.

This combo pictured works GREAT, even here in HOT, HUMID FL. Same combo with Stock Radiator works well too.

Attachments

• 76 Bronco - Fan Mock1.jpg
    76 Bronco - Fan Mock1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 76 Bronco - Fan Mock2.jpg
    76 Bronco - Fan Mock2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 68

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Looks like you have plenty of clearance but I believe you have the fan installed backwards.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
it does look like that doesn't it? Same set up as before. It'll clear.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Paul - Are you talking about the US Shift Quick 4?
Something else?

Compushift II by hgmelectronics.com

Are the 4.56 Gears a good match with your tire size (31s) and 4R70W trans?

They're an astoundingly good match. Frankly a little "too good" of a match for the street. The 4.56 is biased slightly towards off-road and/or burning tires at the stop light drags.
With the combination of the way an Explorer engine runs and the 4R70, A set of 4.11's would be even better. Or a taller tire, which is how I'm likely going next if I can.
In overdrive, I'm turning between 2300 and 2400 rpm at about 65, which is a great area for a decent running engine. But this engine burns so cleanly and has such good low-rpm characteristics (stock Explorer cam) that I bet even in an EB with it's aerodynamics-from-hell I bet I could run as low as 2000 rpm and it would still pull strong.

Paul

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think I'll start another Tech thread to see what the thoughts of other members are as well as to which controller to recommend. Seems like there are a number of potential options.

I'm in the 4.11-4.56 range for gears for that combo too. i'll have a nice 351w in front with a lower RPM cam as well. 4.11 might be right?

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes. Especially if your first priority is not off-roading.
And yes too, being able to light up the tires on-demand is fun. But not finding it easy to NOT light up the tires when merging in traffic has it's disadvantages in a Bronco.;)

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and it wouldn't hurt at all either, if the 4.11's end up with better fuel economy.
As it is, I can get almost 20 cruising around the 60mph range.
I bet it would go over if I was doing that a couple of hundred rpm less.

Paul