• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What Tool box to buy for Bronco tools?

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Group,

I have 2 tool boxes 1 a craftsman and another is from K-mart that is probably 35+ years old but both are small boxes and I would like to consolidate. One is at my parents house the other is at my house so when my mom passes I will have to consolidate and move all my tools from that garage to my garage. I have been looking at several chests. One from Home Depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-46-in-16-Drawer-Steel-Tool-Chest-and-Rolling-Cabinet-Set-Textured-Red-and-Black-Matte-48-22-8510-8520/306136151 The other is Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-x-22-In-Double-Bank-Red-Roller-Cabinet-64133.html From the reviews I have read the Harbor freight one is actually rated better than the Milwaukee one. I need to keep this to a reasonable dollar so $800.00 is about the sweet spot on spending so going to a Snap on or something similar is just out of the question. So my question is do any of you have either of these chests and what do you think of them? The review I am talking about is: https://www.garagetooladvisor.com/storage/best-tool-chests-cabinets/ Thanks in advance!

Sam

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
quite a bit of talk in OTL lately about boxes

I got my big roller Mac tool box off CL used, for about 25% of cost new ;D

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
I'm very pleased with my Harbor Freight, U.S. General Tool Box. Great quality and didn't break my savings to buy it.

DC_Gearhead

I have the Lowe’s SS toolbox. I’m a Vet so 10% rocked and I’ve had it about 8 years with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
if you don't mind a used box lots of deals on used ones on FB market place and craigslist. it just holds your tools. spend what you feel comfortable with. can never have too big of box... it's just like a shop. somehow they manage to always fill up.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
quite a bit of talk in OTL lately about boxes

I got my big roller Mac tool box off CL used, for about 25% of cost new ;D

X2 , I got both of my big Mac Tools boxes used about 30 years ago and they are still going strong. You can't go wrong with a used high end box.

broncomikem

Whatever you do get the ball bearing drawers. Once you put weight in em it makes a big difference.

X2, I have a couple older craftsman boxes and didn't want to spend the money on the roller guides. Huge mistake!! Get the ball bearing drawers!!

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
X2, I have a couple older craftsman boxes and didn't want to spend the money on the roller guides. Huge mistake!! Get the ball bearing drawers!!

I just got mad and ripped two drawers out of my POS Craftsman with crap guides.......hate that box...truly hate it.......

My plan is to go US General based off the thread I posted up a few posts ago....either the 56 or 72 inch box. Probably go 52 and add the two side compartments and the topper........

Hoping for a Black Friday deal......or assign a item to each kid to buy as an Xmas gift for the old man......

Tim

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
I have a triple stack Craftsman set that I've had for over 40 years (with roller glides). This one holds my SAE tools, as well as other various tools. I also have a newer Craftsman double stack set that I've had about 15 years that holds metric tools for the newer vehicles we own. These are also roller glide drawers. Both sets are LOADED (heavy), and have never given me any problems or reasons not to praise them. They do what they were designed to do, hold tools and open smoothly every time. I have an acquaintance that has the non roller drawers and they really do suck.
Mark.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I just got mad and ripped two drawers out of my POS Craftsman with crap guides.......hate that box...truly hate it.......

Hoping for a Black Friday deal......or assign a item to each kid to buy as an Xmas gift for the old man......

Tim

Your kids:

Kid1: "hey should we get Dad a new toolbox?"

Kid2: "Hell No!! Did you see what he did to his old one?!?" ;D:D

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I hate to hear that Milwaukee box didn't get a good review .
I've been EYEBALLING IT .
BUT I've got a couple of those US General colored boxes 30inch & 5 draws . I'm really liking them .

OP
OP
svastano

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
It is 5th down on the list so not too bad. But looking at the Home Depot website reviews there are a lot that people are not happy with it.

I hate to hear that Milwaukee box didn't get a good review .
I've been EYEBALLING IT .
BUT I've got a couple of those US General colored boxes 30inch & 5 draws . I'm really liking them .

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I was talking to a shop owner today .. He was laughing with me . ABOUT selling my place / farm .. He said If he could build a shop like that He'd move his stuff in it & paint the window black & Not come out.
I guess all us car guys are nuts.
......One of the things getting me now is after getting into town or the edge of town .Their saying I can't build a shop that size .

OP
OP
svastano

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Well I pulled the trigger last night. I only got the bottom at this point so to spread the cost over a couple months. I went with the HF US General brand. Right before that I was at Lowes and looked at the Craftsman units and there is no comparison on the quality. The US General was so much better. Also just a s a side note for others. If you are planning to get something like this from HF, join the "Inside Track Club" From me spending 29.99 to get in the club they took 150 off the price of the lower unit.
https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/tool-storage/56-in-double-bank-blue-roller-cabinet-64864.html