• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Right Stuff- never used it, stepping into the 21st Century... :)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
So with the Right Stuff you do not use a "paper" type gasket OR coat both sides of it as it would sure be thick...correct? Don't want it plugging up the pump screen or floating around.

I really haven't had on oil leak of any kind on my Bronco since I first installed my ZF/203/D20 back in 99...used a paper gasket btw the 203 and adapter and it weeped...pulled it 6 mo later cause I hate leaks. Just do...1/8" bead of RTV with prep fixed it up w/o a gasket.

I have a paper gasket leak on the Exploder timing cover to block sealing surface for the water jacket passageways. With a finest of picks I can barely feel the slightest corrosion pits in a couple spots...barely... so I wet sanded it with 400 grit on a sanding block- the entire cover.

So is the "Right Stuff" the right stuff to use? I see Permatex has a couple varieties now. I have only done 2 engines this year and I'm still using RTV...wondering if the Right Stuff or equiv is the next step...

Thanks

68ford

Bronco Guru
Right stuff is the go to rtv. It set quick, sticks better than other rtv and once it "goes off" it is extremely stong. The only other sealant we use in our shop, Cat, Cummins, Allison, John Deere and Spartan chassis dealership, is the specific permatex grey that Cummins calls for. I would say it is equally as good as right stuff but requires cleaner dryer surface to bond as well.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Thanks...

Last edited:

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I recently started using "Right Stuff" and so far I really like it. Sure is easier to apply with the can instead of the squeeze tubes. ;)

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Slight derail.... Can rtv be used on the thermostat housing instead of a gasket? Thanks

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
When both surfaces are cleaned properly (remove old debris, wipe clean with paint reducer) Rite Stuff is amazing. You can also use it to repair cracked window gaskets or door seals.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yes mattyq17...clean, clean clean and then wipe the mating surfaces with alcohol on a WHITE paper towel...no color on the towel, you are now clean enough. Follow that rule and you will be hard pressed to ever have a leak with RTV. Use it on the t-stat housing no issues.

Permatex does have a specialty t-stat waterpump RTV also with higher resistance to ethyl glycol

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I found some "Right Stuff" that gives more than 5 min assbly time...

needsmoarturbo

Like everyone else said, cleanliness is key to leak free success. Rtv works really well when applied to clean surfaces. Right stuff just takes it up a notch in that it's thicker and sticks even better, it really is good stuff. I had a buddy who glued an aluminum radiator to the core support in his bronco, no brackets it held in there several years til he sold it, if you want an idea how well it sticks

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
Great product. Used it on my intake ends, versus cork. Had to pull it back off a week later (Forgot something) and that damn stuff holds well. About killed me getting it off. :)

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Yes mattyq17...clean, clean clean and then wipe the mating surfaces with alcohol on a WHITE paper towel...no color on the towel, you are now clean enough. Follow that rule and you will be hard pressed to ever have a leak with RTV. Use it on the t-stat housing no issues.

Permatex does have a specialty t-stat waterpump RTV also with higher resistance to ethyl glycol

Perfect, thank you!

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
So question about the "Right Stuff" Do you use it with gaskets or just without? I am getting ready to start putting my engine together and I have always used Permatex Ultra copper and gaskets and never had any leaks.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
When both surfaces are cleaned properly (remove old debris, wipe clean with paint reducer) Rite Stuff is amazing. You can also use it to repair cracked window gaskets or door seals.

Yes sir, totally agree....

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Yes mattyq17...clean, clean clean and then wipe the mating surfaces with alcohol on a WHITE paper towel...no color on the towel

I found this comment intriguing. Like many of us I use blue paper shop towels and red cloth towels. I assume the color dye has a negative chemical effect on Right Stuff. Any other garage jobs where color towels should not be used ? Learn something everyday. Thanks

68ford

Bronco Guru
Right stuff is the least susceptible to not bonding due noto not perfect surfaces. Not that you should slack on prep, but if it is not a perfect surface, nothing has a better chance of sealing than right stuff.