• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ruff Stuff rear brakes

grammer9

Contributor
Loc.
Vacaville
I was wondering if anyone has used the Ruff stuff rear disc brake setup with the weld on bracket for ford 9”. If so, how hard was the install? Will i have to move the rear shock over like some kits do? And for a newbie is there some sort of template to position on the axle to know where to tack the bracket into place.
thanks.

Loc.
The Bluegrass State
I used Ruff Stuff's weld on caliper mounts on my current project. At first I bought the flat plate type which will not work on the 9" as best I can tell without modification. Anyhow I got the ones that have the bend in them and they worked perfectly on my axle housing. To set them up I installed the axles complete with rotors in the axle housing. I then put my calipers together with the brake pads and bolted them on the mounting plates. Then you can slide the caliper down over the rotor and get everything squared up, then tacked the brackets in place. After that I removed the calipers and axles, then welded the brackets in place. Just remember to position everything where your bleeder on your caliper is in the up position so you can get your brakes bled. As far as the shock mounts if I recall correctly it looked like they would need to moved in some. I used inboard shock mounts on mine so I didn't have to worry about that. I hope this helped with your question.

OP
OP
G

grammer9

Contributor
Loc.
Vacaville
Thanks for the info! I’m going to give them a shot. I think i found a pic on the web of that setup on the rear axle with the shock still in the factory postion.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I think bc has a kit to move the shock for rear disc. I think it's just a longer bolt and spacer to mount the shock to the inside of the lower bracket so it clears the caliper. Pretty simple mod.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I think bc has a kit to move the shock for rear disc. I think it's just a longer bolt and spacer to mount the shock to the inside of the lower bracket so it clears the caliper. Pretty simple mod.

Yup.
Mine had that.
Easy peazy

BanditBronco

The best way I have found is to plumb the rear calipers in and at least get a quick bleed on them. Then mount them on the the brackets and have someone push the brake pedal while you tack the mounts onto the axle. This way you get the calipers centered correctly. If you just eye ball it, you will have uneven pad wear and less than stellar rear brake pressure as the caliper is fighting the mount trying to clamp on the rotor.

You can also do this with air pressure from an air nozzle, I have done it both ways and prefer using actual brake pressure for a better result.

OP
OP
G

grammer9

Contributor
Loc.
Vacaville
Hey Grammer, how about posting pic u found ?

This is the pic i found on the web... almost looks like he has aftermarket shock perches so he could have moved them over to clear.

Attachments

• 2100E281-AF44-4BBE-AB85-39ED496D068A.jpg
    2100E281-AF44-4BBE-AB85-39ED496D068A.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 18