• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speaker System

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Checked out a Bose soundbar yesterday but it didn't seem loud enough for going down the road with the top off. Best buy had 3 different cage mount sound bars. They also had some marine speakers but the guy couldn't get em to work with the tuner

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Just finished my install I have 5.25 marine grade polk audios up front in the bronco hut glass kick pods, 6x9 marine grade polk audios in the rear with a 10" kicker sub in the back and a 1000 watt jbl marine grade amp mounted under pass seat...

IMG_1238.jpg IMG_1249.jpg

Last edited:

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
"Slightly" modified.

I see you have a knack for under statement.
Lol

Bitchin man.

lol, Thanks....well I only did one panel and half of the one I did so that's like 25% right? I think tht counts as slightly...;D

OP
OP
jasonmcc

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
So I’ve got all the speakers but it looks like my alternator may be to weak. I’ve done some searching and it looks like this will work https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/183509332124 is there any additional wiring or install “how to”? This would be a temporary solution as with a new motor upgrade in the near future would make this obsolete so I want to stay on the cheaper side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eoth

Bronco Guru
So I’ve got all the speakers but it looks like my alternator may be to weak. I’ve done some searching and it looks like this will work https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/183509332124 is there any additional wiring or install “how to”? This would be a temporary solution as with a new motor upgrade in the near future would make this obsolete so I want to stay on the cheaper side.

That depends... What do you currently have? Do you have a “v” belt or have you converted to a serpentine?

OP
OP
jasonmcc

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
That depends... What do you currently have? Do you have a “v” belt or have you converted to a serpentine?

V belt
cfc5d4fc076973b66bb9e67b6a6a57ce.jpg

ed01fd23b31843b6baf3769509a43629.jpg

Eoth

Bronco Guru
You have a small body 1G (first generation) externally regulated Ford alternator. Its amperage is somewhere between 42 and 63amps if it has a stock output.... Your amp is requiring a 60amp fuse so with that in mind, yes you need a better alternator. The cheapest route is to do the 3G conversion using a junk yard alternator. If you get the right one, it will put out 130amps (caution there are 90amp units out there). The 3G units are about the best you can do with a v-belt system. Otherwise you could go in deeper and swap your entire front dress to a serpentine system and be able to use something more powerful (you mentioned that a new engine is in your future so if you go with the explorer front dress you could transfer it to another 5.0 later on).

OP
OP
jasonmcc

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
You have a small body 1G (first generation) externally regulated Ford alternator. Its amperage is somewhere between 42 and 63amps if it has a stock output.... Your amp is requiring a 60amp fuse so with that in mind, yes you need a better alternator. The cheapest route is to do the 3G conversion using a junk yard alternator. If you get the right one, it will put out 130amps (caution there are 90amp units out there). The 3G units are about the best you can do with a v-belt system. Otherwise you could go in deeper and swap your entire front dress to a serpentine system and be able to use something more powerful (you mentioned that a new engine is in your future so if you go with the explorer front dress you could transfer it to another 5.0 later on).

Ok, so would the link for the alternator listed above be a direct bolt on replacement and if so is there any additional wiring needed? If I did the 5.0 serp swap would that also be the same setup for a coyote?

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Coyote? Nope.... Totally different animal. You could get the front dress from an Exploder and put it on your 302. Then if you upgrade to a 5.0 you could take the front-dress off your 302 and install it on the 5.0 but you will not be able to use it on a Coyote.
As for a 3G the cheapest is going to a junk yard (people have been using the early 90s taurus with a 3.8 engine but they are probably getting rare).
Quite frankly the easiest would to be to buy a new one (choose your part store) for around 40-50 bucks and then buy this:
https://bcbroncos.com/shop/electric...ternator-harness-3g-non-efi-for-early-bronco/
All Plug-and-play for under $100 and you will have a new alternator with enough juice to power that amp and you can use your existing front dress V-Belts.

OP
OP
jasonmcc

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
Well I ended up installing the speakers flush mounted in the kick panel and tweeters on the dash. Sounds so much better having highs in front of you. I’m happy with it!
566115e33f61d5ee7ac5276aa9ac8a79.jpg
9becc71aa723f310835999673663ee34.jpg
094a278e95b4f5543ae63db3c40f29f7.jpg
5489963d0cf6a8d19edea2d93b29d7fb.jpg
2677ae2de7e4622b6b7448dc3eac6589.jpg
0c338cb27fb835ea47bc85de1f38c600.jpg

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Just me, but I have never liked speakers pointed at my feet. Yes, I know the bronco offers few options, sadly. I'm getting a blank dash and custom designing it, so it will have 5.35 speakers in the dash. I'm also thinking about small wakeboard speakers mounted to the back of the roll cage, and a 12" sub mounted securely on the inner pass. quarter panel panel. That's just me though. I might add mid subs in the kick panel though.

OP
OP
jasonmcc

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
Just me, but I have never liked speakers pointed at my feet. Yes, I know the bronco offers few options, sadly. I'm getting a blank dash and custom designing it, so it will have 5.35 speakers in the dash. I'm also thinking about small wakeboard speakers mounted to the back of the roll cage, and a 12" sub mounted securely on the inner pass. quarter panel panel. That's just me though. I might add mid subs in the kick panel though.

To each their own! That’s the great thing about our rigs, we can make them how we like them. I grew up in BR/Nola and music was a big thing growing up. Even today I have to have a nice radio. Now with that said I’m not going to put 12 speakers like what comes in my rover but I will have four and a sub. I personally am not a fan of highs behind you and for me this setup is what sounded best in my placement tests. Whatever you decide do what make YOU happy and enjoy your ride!