• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Suggestions for 351 Build

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Get some plastigauge and check the mains.......Then the rods......Gap some rings and put her together.....

Assembly is the fun part.....

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ford rods come from the factory with numbers stamped on them. It is GM that you need to stamp them before you take it apart.

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Ford rods come from the factory with numbers stamped on them. It is GM that you need to stamp them before you take it apart.

Yes I meant the numbers that are written on each rod, a 500 number on the crank end and a 700 number on the piston end, I’m guessing as part of the reconditioning process

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would suggest a Comp Cam XE262H Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam for the 351w. Kit SK31-238-3 which includes the Cam, Lifters and Timing Set.

I would also go with the Comp Cam Roller Rockers - 17043-16 - These are an Aluminum, Full Roller, 1.6 Ratio and fit with most Valve Covers. Very affordable too.

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Get some plastigauge and check the mains.......Then the rods......Gap some rings and put her together.....

Assembly is the fun part.....

Tim

Yes indeed that's the fun part! But just like anything else car-related that's fun, you gotta trudge through the prep work and do it right! My trusty, dusty book that I always use for motor rebuilds (that doesn't even mention plastigage) reminded me that you want to install the cam first to avoid working around the crank, so I'm gonna wait til I have a cam

I would suggest a Comp Cam XE262H Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam for the 351w. Kit SK31-238-3 which includes the Cam, Lifters and Timing Set.

I would also go with the Comp Cam Roller Rockers - 17043-16 - These are an Aluminum, Full Roller, 1.6 Ratio and fit with most Valve Covers. Very affordable too.

Thanks to you and all for the tips, I looked at this one and it had a review that worries me, you know, cuz i want the rumble ;)

'Improved engine performance, only added a little sound performance was hoping for more lope. Should have looked into Roller cam version.'

...but I'll probably go with those rockers...actually the more I price this stuff (I need springs and keepers too) the more I'll convince myself that aluminum heads are not much more.....and the snowball rolls on ;D

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I would call Comp Cams and tell them what you want to do. They are very helpful and their parts are top quality and decent priced. I went with all Comp valve train and it is some nice stuff. Have fun, Ken

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you need to rebuild your current heads go with the Complete K-Kit. All matching Valve Train Included less Pushrods and Rockers.

If going with Assembled Aluminum Heads stick with the SK-Kit.

Add Pushrods after assembled and measured.

Agreed, Call Comp, they do a great job. Tell them it's for a Bronco not a Mustang or race car. They will get you the performance and lopey duration sound you want.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Called Comp and got my cam kit yesterday, now the fun begins!!

Any suggestions on which timing kit to use? The one on the left came with the cam kit, the one on the right came with the engine build kit, made in Louisville which is where all the machine work was done, has dog-bone shaped links and appears to be double roller chain?

thanks -jeff

Attachments

• IMG_5204.jpg
    IMG_5204.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5206.jpg
    IMG_5206.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 24

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, make sure to degree the cam. I had a major issue with my comp cam timing chain set for the 200. The stupid thing was 10* off. Comp cam tech guy just played dumb. The adjustable crank sprocket from Vintage Inline got me on the money.
And don't forget any of the oil gallery pipe plugs.
Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_20180811_155502411_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180811_155502411_HDR.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 24

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Called Comp and got my cam kit yesterday, now the fun begins!!

Any suggestions on which timing kit to use? The one on the left came with the cam kit, the one on the right came with the engine build kit, made in Louisville which is where all the machine work was done, has dog-bone shaped links and appears to be double roller chain?

thanks -jeff

I would use the double roller set.

And I second the degree the cam, the marks being off is common.

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Thanks guys, i wish the degree wheel was one of those tools you could borrow from the parts house!