• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best wiring harness?

CHerold

The harness in my 68 has been hacked to pieces and it is time to replace... I would welcome thoughts on which harness is better, Centech or American Auto Wire. Both are available from JBG. Or is there another harness out there I should look at?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Chris

armynavy17

Contributor
I went with the Centech and am super happy with it. I pick it over painless and making my own because of the price and skill(time) required respectively. The Centech is labeled every 6in or so so it's super easy to find what your looking for and trace things out if need be. I do have a few extra wires for some ignition stuff and things I don't have but I'd rather have extras then something missing, which there wasn't.

Dlish

I am thinking about redoing the wiring and the Painless (price is a little higher) looks really good. The new painless kit was built with feedback from this site as well.

BlackCat4

Loc.
Beevile TX
Cintech is what I have and I like it the only problem is it did not come with wiper wiring..thought that was strange....

moses_m

I have a Painless in my 69 works great wires labeled every couple of inches, instructions are great, and has wiring instructions for different aftermarket ignition systems, Videos also posted on you tube.

On my 71 I am gonna probably go with the kit West Coast Broncos offers their harness is half the price and already comes with a 40 amp relay for HID lights.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cintech is what I have and I like it the only problem is it did not come with wiper wiring..thought that was strange....

Very strange indeed. Sounds like the wiper wiring guy on the assembly line was off that day. ;D
It usually comes with a pretty nice bunch of extra long wires sticking out of the harness. Right there in the left corner would be a separate trunk of the harness with Red, White, Blue, Black and maybe one other color in a wire bundle.

Easy to remember having them because it's literally a big wad of wires that are always in the way during the re-wire, until you actually get them up through the windshield frame and out from under the dash.

Hope someone didn't cut them off!

Paul

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Centech is a great Basic harness.

-I used the new painless in my resto-mod and I am more than impressed with that harness and it's expandability. The only drawback is that you must take out the dash in order to install it (I am too old to get on my back and contort myself). Instructions and on-line color diagrams were impressive. Well worth the price in my opinion.

OP
OP
CHerold

CHerold

Thanks for all the input, leaning towards the Centech now... But that brings up another question. I intend to install a Tuffy glovebox and Centech clearly states, do not mount fuse panel to metal... Anyone try to do this and use an insulator? What did you use? Any issues?

eric0o1

without a doubt the Painless :cool:

Putting aside where I work and the fact that I haven't seen a Centech harness in over 5 years, from what I remember I would advise against running the Centech fuse box in a metal glove box. The fusebox on the Centech is a printed circuit board and has metal lugs/threaded studs on the underneath side for wires to be mounted for power distribution. They also provide a metal cover that goes over all of this that are then mounted with metal screws. With all of this into a metal glovebox that is grounded through the dash is just asking for issues in my honest opinion.

I'm not trying to sale you on the one I developed, just trying to offer an opinion that may save you from future headaches or offer a clearer perspective on why they say not to do it.

Waldo

Contributor
I went thru the same debate about harness selection. Painless setups can be pricey, however I found with a bit of shopping around, plus with unadvertised rebates available from Painless website at the time I was looking, I was able to get a good deal on one.

I did try to save a bit of money by installing the connectors myself. Ended up doubling the time to complete the project. Recommend getting kit with connectors already installed. Or at the very least, purchase the tool advertised by Painless to clamp the connectors onto the new harness.

Good luck!

67 Halfcab

Don't forget about the new(ish) kit from American Autowire. I haven't hooked up a battery to my install yet but am pleased with the quality. This harness has fused circuits for extras such as power windows, power seats, power door locks, and electric engine fans. It also has the connector to install a third brake light. You have get rid of your ammeter and install a volt meter. Another requirement is to use an internally regulated alternater. They also rent the crimpers you need to get the properly rolled crimp on the connectors. Check out their Youtube videos for crimping instructions.

Last edited:

gerg

Just finishing my Centech install. It was very good quality, but I found the directions somewhat lacking - more like a collection of notes. But tech support was good. Found myself wishing I had spent a little more and gone Painless.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Get a good crimper and mini gas soldering torch right off the bat.

DonH

Loc.
WA State 30 miles from the beach
My 68EB project came with a Kwikwire harness. Like the EB it had been sitting for a few years. It was designed mostly for Hotrods and was comeplete enough for my install. I went with all new Autometer gauges and a Painless or Centech would have been a waste. Any wire harness is a BIG project but if you look at it one wire at a time you can get through it.

67mustang390

without a doubt the Painless :cool:

Putting aside where I work and the fact that I haven't seen a Centech harness in over 5 years, from what I remember I would advise against running the Centech fuse box in a metal glove box. The fusebox on the Centech is a printed circuit board and has metal lugs/threaded studs on the underneath side for wires to be mounted for power distribution. They also provide a metal cover that goes over all of this that are then mounted with metal screws. With all of this into a metal glovebox that is grounded through the dash is just asking for issues in my honest opinion.

I'm not trying to sale you on the one I developed, just trying to offer an opinion that may save you from future headaches or offer a clearer perspective on why they say not to do it.

This is the kind of information I needed, thank you.

Can you tell me why not Kwikwiring??

67mustang390

My 68EB project came with a Kwikwire harness. Like the EB it had been sitting for a few years. It was designed mostly for Hotrods and was comeplete enough for my install. I went with all new Autometer gauges and a Painless or Centech would have been a waste. Any wire harness is a BIG project but if you look at it one wire at a time you can get through it.

im in the middle of deciding on a wiring harness. why won't Cent. or Painl. not work with your autometer gages?

eric0o1

They will work, you will just be cutting off the sockets and pre-installed terminals. In some cases where you are mounting gauges across the dash, wires may be too short since everything was pre-cut to fit the factory cluster and will require the harness to be modified.

Universal harnesses, like the Kwikwire you mentioned, will work, but also, take more work to install. You will also be re-using every single one of your factory connectors. Things like the dash mounted hazard switch, low brake light, wiper switch-wiper motor, dual tank will also have to be added since they are not included with those style kits.

If you've got a highly modified Bronco that may not be using these circuits, then maybe a direct fit harness like what we sell wouldn't be the right fit and one of our universal harnesses, or someone else's, would better suit your build.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't think DonH was saying the others, including the Painless would "not" work with his gauges. Just saying that for him the Kwikwire did work.

Paul

67mustang390

They will work, you will just be cutting off the sockets and pre-installed terminals. In some cases where you are mounting gauges across the dash, wires may be too short since everything was pre-cut to fit the factory cluster and will require the harness to be modified.

Universal harnesses, like the Kwikwire you mentioned, will work, but also, take more work to install. You will also be re-using every single one of your factory connectors. Things like the dash mounted hazard switch, low brake light, wiper switch-wiper motor, dual tank will also have to be added since they are not included with those style kits.

If you've got a highly modified Bronco that may not be using these circuits, then maybe a direct fit harness like what we sell wouldn't be the right fit and one of our universal harnesses, or someone else's, would better suit your build.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense and hadn't thought about the length and the relocation of gauges.

one of the things that I like best is the fuses and box made specifically for the Bronco. Lengthening a wire is something that I can do. making a special fuse box and glove box is a little bigger deal.