• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Let’s talk headlights! Halogen vs LED vs HID vs aftermarket vs retrofit (and more!)

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Hi everyone! I am Tom from HIDprojectors.com and wanted to put together a post where we can ask questions and get knowledgeable answers about headlight upgrades.
I have been modifying automotive lighting since 1998 and building professionally for nearly 10 years. I don’t claim to know everything about lighting but am happy to answer any questions you may have and would like to share some of the more common questions we see here.

Here are a few popular topics – feel free to ask away and I’ll do my best to help!

Higher kelvin does not equal brighter lights.
The higher the “K” rating on a bulb, the bluer it becomes. Here’s a general guide:
3000K – yellow color – best used for fog light applications
4300K – white with a slight yellow tinge – most companies use this color stock. Its generally the brightest and the easiest on your eyes.
5000K – mostly white.
6000K – white with a slight blue tinge – this is probably the most popular color because it appears to look brighter but is not quite as bright as a 4300K bulb.
8000K – blueish tinge – this is where you really start to see output diminish in favor of ‘color’ and is not recommended.
10,000+ blueish / purple – stay far away from this range.

Lumens are not a good measurement of output.

You’ve likely seen the overhyped, clever marketing schemes claiming 10,000 / 20,000 / 50,000 lumens for their bulbs. This is a lie. Lumens can be measured at the light bulb source to create nearly any number you want to show. Stay far away from a company claiming anything more than 3,500 lumens. LUX is a far better measurement in my opinion. When we measure output, we use the same light meter, measured from an actual driving distance and we use the same variables for all. If you compare apples to apples, you’ll be able to get a better idea of actual light output vs a dishonest sales pitch.

You get what you pay for: eBay / Amazon generic branded lights
That $100 pair of lights you just purchased from eBay or Amazon likely cost less than $10 to make overseas. What kind of quality do you expect from that price? Purchase from US companies with real phone numbers who you can call and talk with. There are tons of pop up businesses online who are just out to make a quick buck on the latest trend. Their ‘’lifetime warranty’’ wont mean anything in 18 months when they’re no longer in business. Don’t be fooled by clever tactics. Spend your money wisely.
Be wary of aftermarket headlights in general. Ask questions and find out what kind of components you’re getting. The quality of the answer should give you a very good idea about the quality of the products.

Plug and Play vs Retrofit for your Halogen headlights
You should never put an LED bulb or an HID bulb in halogen reflector housings. The additional light created here will scatter and create a blinding glare for oncoming drivers. And no, you cannot simply ‘’aim them down’’ to correct this. You wouldn’t drive around with your high beams on all the time would you? This is essentially the same thing. If you cannot afford a proper retrofit I would recommend upgrading to a better sealed beam headlight. We have some for around $30 if anyone is interested.

Affording better lighting / The best way to spend your money
A HID retrofit is the proper way to go to get world class performance that is safe for oncoming drivers.
Good quality LED headlights from reputable sources (JW Speaker, Trucklite) are also great alternatives as are good quality H4 upgrades (Cibie for example) if you want to keep a more stock look.
You really want to focus on a set of headlights that have the proper optics to focus the light where you need it (on the road) instead of where you don’t (scattered and blinding oncoming traffic)
We obviously build headlights for a living and would also be happy to answer any questions about our products as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4862.jpg
    IMG_4862.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Install on a Bronco final.jpg
    Install on a Bronco final.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 108
  • output wall shot.jpg
    output wall shot.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 88
  • Output vs stock wrangler w logo.jpg
    Output vs stock wrangler w logo.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 88
  • DJI_0017.jpg
    DJI_0017.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 86
  • DJI_0016.jpg
    DJI_0016.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 86

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
YOU are wicked smart!! Great guy too!! thanks for the info buddy!

Hazegray

I think the pics show the HID projector comparison vs stock *eep headlights...could be wrong ;)

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
What do think about a

GTR Lighting CSP Mini - LED H4 Bulb in a Cibie reflector? Thanks

I wouldnt recommend it. The LED bulb will overpower the Cibie reflector which was engineered for Halogen. Its best to stick with the recommended Halogen bulb for those lights.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I think the pics show the HID projector comparison vs stock *eep headlights...could be wrong ;)

The first two pics are Broncos (you can see the outline).

The pic comparing the stock Jeep lights is intended to show the radical difference. If we compared the stock Bronco lights the results would be even more dramatic!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you know if speaker or other brands use an auto leveling adjustment to keep from blinding folks when your load changes??

Have speaker on my Roadglide, not auto leveling but weight does not change, although it does turn into turns amazingly

achrs44

I need more light!
Looking at the "Classic" model for a 1976 Bronco:
In description, "vehicle specific wiring harness for plug and play installation" -- please verify this is 'plug' and not 'splice'.
In description, "*Some classic vehicles (made prior to 1997) may need to trim various portions of the vehicles' stock mounting locations to allow for proper fitment. " -- is any trimming necessary for install in this application ('76 Bronco)?
Thanks.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Do you know if speaker or other brands use an auto leveling adjustment to keep from blinding folks when your load changes??

Have speaker on my Roadglide, not auto leveling but weight does not change, although it does turn into turns amazingly

I'm not aware of any aftermarket system that offers auto leveling. There would be a lot of work needed to properly monitor and adjust for changes. Your best bet is to get a good set of lights and aim them properly.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I need more light!
Looking at the "Classic" model for a 1976 Bronco:
In description, "vehicle specific wiring harness for plug and play installation" -- please verify this is 'plug' and not 'splice'.
In description, "*Some classic vehicles (made prior to 1997) may need to trim various portions of the vehicles' stock mounting locations to allow for proper fitment. " -- is any trimming necessary for install in this application ('76 Bronco)?
Thanks.

The Classic is truly plug and play. No splicing needed.
It will fit in the Bronco headlight buckets without modification.

Its a very straightforward install. The Classic was made to look similar to what a projector setup from Ford could have been - here's a pic!

Attachments

• Install on a Bronco after.jpg
    Install on a Bronco after.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 101

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
The Classic is truly plug and play. No splicing needed.
It will fit in the Bronco headlight buckets without modification.

Its a very straightforward install. The Classic was made to look similar to what a projector setup from Ford could have been - here's a pic!

Do you happen to have a picture in profile, from the side?

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru

Attachments

• Hauk Bronco 3.jpg
    Hauk Bronco 3.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 72
  • 990932-2-large.jpg
    990932-2-large.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Are you saying an LED puts off more heat inside the reflector than a halogen?

No. LEDs will generally run cooler.

I'm saying that putting a brighter bulb into a housing that wasn't designed for it will mess with the optics and cause glare. Similar to driving around with your high beams on.

BanditBronco

Curious if you have had a set of the KC gravity 7" replacements in your hands? I would prefer a non projector style just due to looks, they are also local to me. Just looking for a professional opinion.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Curious if you have had a set of the KC gravity 7" replacements in your hands? I would prefer a non projector style just due to looks, they are also local to me. Just looking for a professional opinion.

I haven't tested those personally. I had a customer send me this comparison though. Same vehicle, three different headlights.

Attachments

• Customer comparison output shot KC JW HID.JPG
    Customer comparison output shot KC JW HID.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 70