• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best way to loosen the Windshield Knobs?

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
I am looking for an easy way to loosen the 1966 windshield knobs. I am a little afraid of braking the bolts

T0CSfX4

https://ibb.co/T0CSfX4

Last edited:

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is what it looks like under your dash. You can try to spray a little PB blaster between the windshield frame and the dash pad, pulling the pad back a little with a putty knife/scraper. You really can't get to it from below and that box is sealed. But I think I'd try turning the knob first a little and see what happens.

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 56
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
Geiri

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
This is what it looks like under your dash. You can try to spray a little PB blaster between the windshield frame and the dash pad, pulling the pad back a little with a putty knife/scraper. You really can't get to it from below and that box is sealed. But I think I'd try turning the knob first a little and see what happens.

Thank you very helpful. I found it to be stuck. I tried some force but... I will try and spray it and see what happens. Thank you

needsmoarturbo

Even if you do break off the bolts, they can be replaced. I think on my bronco I broke both sides, and just drilled out the broke off bolts and retapped the holes, then pressed out the roll pins from the knobs and put bolts with the heads cut off into the knob, drill the hole for the roll pin, reinstall roll pins and hey presto.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Force it, break the bolt, fix it. The bolts are pretty soft and easy to drill out and retap the holes. If they are stuck, you will spend more time trying to avoid the broken bolt then just breaking it and fixing it.