• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Automatic shifters

jerrybromley

Contributor
I am changing from a manual to an automatic. Just looking for opinions on automatic shifters. My first thought was to locate an original column but they seem to be rare . I also considered reusing the manual column and using an early Mustang c-4 shifter floor shifter . I want the truck to seem relatively stock in appearance. Are there other steering columns that may interchange ?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I think you'll find that the column is the most convenient spot.
The floor is just too low on the Bronco to use most of the shifters on the market. One of the tall Lokar shifters would be an acception to this.
Just look at some of the platforms owners have built to us a ratchet type shifter comfortably.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Ratchet shifters suck for a truck used off road. Reverse lockout is a pain in the ass. Use to have a B&M Quick Silver such a big mistake. Collumn shift is the way to go. Pinto / Mustang look good but i dont know the linkage works out. Seen several Broncos use them but not how they were set up.

71_blue

I regret the day I installed a B&M Mega Shifter when I swapped in my 700R4. As said earlier, ratchet shifters are useless off road. I would like to put in a column shift but can't afford it right now.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
At one time bc had a tech page with the f-150 column swap. I'm interested in doing the column shift on my 72 if I swap to auto.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ratchet shifters suck off-road. Add a little dust and dirt and the ratchet won't work right.

Lokar cable shift floor shifter was pretty good. But I was happier once I cot a column and rebuilt it to move the shifter up there.

needsmoarturbo

With a column shift are there any concerns about the linkage flexing or maxing out crawling?

Yes, it can cause some binding. I have a column shifter, but would like to figure out a way to make it use a cable instead of the rod because sometimes when your all twisted up on rocks its hard to shift from D to R or into/out of park

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Yes, it can cause some binding. I have a column shifter, but would like to figure out a way to make it use a cable instead of the rod because sometimes when your all twisted up on rocks its hard to shift from D to R or into/out of park

Might try a stock shift rod cut down at the tranny end and thread it for a spherical rod end.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I tried. Actually worse with rod ends. The factory rubber grommets allow for body flex without tugging on the shifter better than going solid.

Really needed to go cable. That will allow more flex than you will ever want and never bind/shift gears as the body flexes.

I have seen an old truck wheeling once that was such a limp noodle that there was an obstacle it could not get over because with the lever pulled into 1st in the cab it would get about halfway up and the transmission would shift to neutral. As it rolled back down it would go back into gear. You had to take the linkage off and have someone shift the transmission from the outside. The good thing is a Bronco has a very rigid frame and you can't get that level of flex to go 4 gear positions. Maybe one, if things are really ugly.

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm using a Lokar Electronic Sport Shifter. Works great with a 4r70w and being able to use sport mode for manual up and down shifting.

I did have to get a 72" cable instead of the 48" that came with it.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
I’m using the Art Carr/Winters gate shifter. It’s cable operated so binding is not an issue. You always know what gear your in. It’s great for function however it may not be everyone’s style.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Where did you find the shifter? Nobody has one available...? at least with my search skills??

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I’m using the Art Carr/Winters gate shifter. It’s cable operated so binding is not an issue. You always know what gear your in. It’s great for function however it may not be everyone’s style.

This is my style, it’s the best floor shifter!

Mark

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Yeah, I use the Winters shifter also. Over 9 years now.

I use it so much I wore half way thru the shifter "shaft" on mine years ago so it was warranted and I received a hardened hollow shaft so I can run a micro switch in the knob.

Sorry- reread your post and it clearly states stock look.. Go with a column shift.

Last edited:

rafitz24

Winters was my first choice but was unable to find anyone that had it available anymore.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk