Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 11/13/19, 10:07 PM   #16
nickgp

las vegas. nevada
I’m using the Art Carr/Winters gate shifter. It’s cable operated so binding is not an issue. You always know what gear your in. It’s great for function however it may not be everyone’s style.
nickgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/19, 10:21 PM   #17
nvrstuk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

20 gears forward...no reverse!

WA
Where did you find the shifter? Nobody has one available...? at least with my search skills??

Strrroker powered...460 SBF cubes, dyno'd:597 HP, 710ft lbs, SEFI, EDIS, 20+ fwd gears...CB build:http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=278607NWCBStroker/SEFI/EDIS/4r70W/KluneV/TrueHi9 build http://northwestclassicbroncos.com/s...n-to-SEFI-EDIS
nvrstuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/19, 10:36 PM   #18
garberz
Contributor
Bronco User

Clear me a path...

Conejo Valley, Ca.

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgp View Post
Iím using the Art Carr/Winters gate shifter. Itís cable operated so binding is not an issue. You always know what gear your in. Itís great for function however it may not be everyoneís style.
This is my style, itís the best floor shifter!

Mark

EFI, OBDII, 5.0, C4, AtlasII 3.8. 5.13ís, HP44, Detroit's, 37ís, Duff Long Arms.
garberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/19, 11:06 PM   #19
nvrstuk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

20 gears forward...no reverse!

WA
Yeah, I use the Winters shifter also. Over 9 years now.

I use it so much I wore half way thru the shifter "shaft" on mine years ago so it was warranted and I received a hardened hollow shaft so I can run a micro switch in the knob.

Sorry- reread your post and it clearly states stock look.. Go with a column shift.

Last edited by nvrstuk; 11/14/19 at 04:56 PM..

Strrroker powered...460 SBF cubes, dyno'd:597 HP, 710ft lbs, SEFI, EDIS, 20+ fwd gears...CB build:http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=278607NWCBStroker/SEFI/EDIS/4r70W/KluneV/TrueHi9 build http://northwestclassicbroncos.com/s...n-to-SEFI-EDIS
nvrstuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/19, 01:37 PM   #20
rafitz24

Winters was my first choice but was unable to find anyone that had it available anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgp View Post
Iím using the Art Carr/Winters gate shifter. Itís cable operated so binding is not an issue. You always know what gear your in. Itís great for function however it may not be everyoneís style.
Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
rafitz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/19, 04:46 PM   #21
72_EB
Contributor
66to77

I'll agree with the others that a Winters or Art Carr is one of the best, but he did say he wanted to stick with a stock look and they are definitely not that.
You can wack you leg on the shift lever on a stock setup wheeling. Kind of annoying. This is where a reverse pattern Winters or Art Carr on the floor is nice.
Yes, you'll be cursing the B&M ratchet and they look pretty ugly too.
Never tried a Lokar, but always wanted to. I think they look pretty, but I think it involves a bit of fabbing to make work.
I have an early Mustang floor shifter, I always wanted to try with a cable, but never messed with it. Let me know if you want the challenge. I'll dig it out for shipping $. You can try it.
72_EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/19, 05:42 PM   #22
Rustytruck
Contributor
Bronco Guru

honest the bolder ran under me

El Monte CA
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
Have you tested this set up?
No but that is what I would do. would re leave the twist that binds the linkage up. column going with the body and the tranny going with the frame.

1974, stock 302, C4, BFG KM2 33x12.5x15, 8in rim, detroit rear, trutrac front 4.11 gearing, Warflairs,2.5" lift, chevy disc conversion, Hydraboost, owned since Christmas Eve 1977
Rustytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/19, 07:15 PM   #23
scuba76

Omaha
Art Carr/Winters gate shifter only way to go

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
scuba76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/19, 10:20 PM   #24
68ford
Bronco Guru

mission viejo, ca

My Gallery
Garage
I get the reverse lock out being a little bit of a pain, but I have had a bnm mega shifter for about 40k miles and a ton of fast shifting in race environments. I have not had a single issue. Mine is mounted to my cage and I'm not using the plastic cover. It is also full of dust from countless hours of following right in people's dust.
What are the issues people have with the rachet type shifters? My actual race truck has a Winters in it. Both have pluses and minuses in racing applications.
68ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/19, 05:28 AM   #25
jerrybromley
Contributor

I think I can....I think I can...I think I need more parts ;-)

Ludington MI

My Gallery
Garage
Wow THANKS for all the feedback. One of our fellow Classic-Bronco guys came up with a stock column for an automatic so I bought it from him. After some thought about what looks cool and what would be more fun to drive I realized the floor shifter would just be another thing on a very small floor to get in the way
jerrybromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/19, 05:32 AM   #26
jerrybromley
Contributor

I think I can....I think I can...I think I need more parts ;-)

Ludington MI

My Gallery
Garage
Another thought occurred to me, I am planning a 1 inch body lift. Has anyone had problems with the shifter rod length with a body lift
jerrybromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/19, 07:36 AM   #27
Broncobowsher
Total hack

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
Should be enough in the adjuster for that.

"She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro"-Zapp Brannigan
Why do people keep expecting "normal" from me?
Full throttle, it either solves the problem or ends the suspense.
Broncobowsher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/19, 09:07 AM   #28
abn373
Contributor

Charleston, SC
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrstuk View Post
Where did you find the shifter? Nobody has one available...? at least with my search skills??
Winters is now making them under a different division of their company called Maverick Performance and apparently can be ordered direct. Here is their catalog link if that helps.

http://www.maverickperformance.com/

I have a different gate on mine that makes it easy to go back and forth from R to D so if I would need to I can have it over to the side and go back and forth, but if its on the other side of D (3) I don't have to worry about coming from 2nd to 3rd and going through N to Rev.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180824_133450.jpg (68.2 KB, 12 views)

'73 Bronco. Fiberglass tub, 302/C4, 3" Suspension lift w/ 35x12.50 15 Cooper SST
abn373 is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech