• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Firewall, Dash, and Wiring

chris-nc

Contributor
Bronco Apprentice
Top is off, dash is out, steering column is out, and I’ve started removing everything along the firewall so it can all be cleaned up and rebuilt. The plan is to refinish everything including pedals, e-brake and heater box. Then clean and rebuild all switches, rebuild the instrument cluster, rebuild the dash, and install a new wiring harness.

A few questions for the experts:
- I plan to go with Centech for the harness. I know you need to reuse your turn signal switch with this kit, but does it include a plug? My turn signal switch was connected to the main harness with a pile of butt-splices so I have no plug to reuse and even though I'm replacing the switch, I don't think a new one comes with one either.
- The original ones disintegrated and I can only find the defroster vent for '68+ and I think it feeds 3 slots in the later year models. Can this also work with the '66-67 dash with only two slots? Meaning is it long enough to reach the ends and will it just be blocked in the middle or will it just not work? If it won't work, any source for the two smaller original vents?
- Eventually, I want to get the black dash pad for it. Does installing that require dropping the windshield again? If so, I want to get everything done now and not have to remove the top and drop the windshield again if possible.

Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_9289.jpeg
    IMG_9289.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9290.jpeg
    IMG_9290.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9291.jpeg
    IMG_9291.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9293.jpeg
    IMG_9293.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9300.jpeg
    IMG_9300.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9301.jpeg
    IMG_9301.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 42

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
It's been a 20 years since I did it but I don't think so. If I remember correctly it had a plug for the steering wheel harness though that may be what you're looking for.

jhill52

My Centech harness included a new connector for both sides of the steering column wires.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
My Centech harness included a new connector for both sides of the steering column wires.

The plug is GM based, so you need to cut the ends off the turn signal switch and install the GM based pins. Then install them into the GM plug to correspond the Centech wires...

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
The plug is GM based, so you need to cut the ends off the turn signal switch and install the GM based pins. Then install them into the GM plug to correspond the Centech wires...

That's right.. It was a GM based.

OP
OP
chris-nc

chris-nc

Contributor
Bronco Apprentice
Cool, thanks. I'm good with putting on new pins I just wanted to make sure there was an actual plug. Sounds like it should work out ok.