• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aftermarket hardtops...worth it?

Lando375

After looking for a while for a nice hardtop I've changed direction and started looking at aftermarket tops. The prices to be all around the same except some I see are twice as much. I'm sure they are all made by one or two companies so there isn't much difference. I know a factory one is going to be preferred but has anyone built one or have one that could tell me if they are even worth it? It really doesn't look that complicated to build. Thanks

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
being in Texas are you planning to install air conditioning? if so you will want a good hard top. you just have to decide on original steel top or a fiberglass aftermarket top.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well if you park it in your garage, just go w/a good ole soft top.. :)

OP
OP
Lando375

Lando375

being in Texas are you planning to install air conditioning? if so you will want a good hard top. you just have to decide on original steel top or a fiberglass aftermarket top.

I will be getting air conditioning that's why I want the top. Fiberglass is an option but I was thinking about an aftermarket steel one.

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
I just looked up some fiberglass tops and didn't realize that such nice ones were made. I may add those into the mix as well.

Yeah, I haven't had one since a driver of a storage container company while winching a container I rented pushed my top through the side of my father in laws garage

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
What do you mean by aftermarket metal tops ? Just the new metal to build a factory style hardtop? All the parts are the same.

The only top in fiberglass worth buying is the nice Bronco Designs top.

OP
OP
Lando375

Lando375

What do you mean by aftermarket metal tops ? Just the new metal to build a factory style hardtop? All the parts are the same.

The only top in fiberglass worth buying is the nice Bronco Designs top.

Yes, the new metal hardtops that you have to weld together. I was looking at the bronco designs top. It looks really good.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Here is a raw unfinished fiberglass top, no sides and liftgate.
In my opinion, the new metal tops are made of foreign materials and a thinner gauge metal. What the forklift did to my new metal top would have not been the same as if it was a stock top. The seams on the new top collapses on impact.

Attachments

• AKymdkuDQsyOF_OlreliQQ.jpg
    AKymdkuDQsyOF_OlreliQQ.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 287

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Here it is with the sides and the liftgate.

Attachments

• 122446246_10218553955466211_3104432186945212813_o.jpg
    122446246_10218553955466211_3104432186945212813_o.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 289

kkelly10

What does the Bronco design top weigh? Is it easier to get on and off then the stock one?

tommyg

Contributor
If it's fiberglass, it's got to be lighter than the stock one. I've got a stock one where the PO put in a sunroof. I was thinking to eventually install a sliding ragtop like this as I like the open top feel: https://www.sunroofsource.com/66-77-ford-bronco/

The flexibility to remove panels on that fiberglass would be really nice for summer.

Attachments

• IMG_1879 (002).jpg
    IMG_1879 (002).jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 52

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Madgyver - Lets have a look at the rear Brace /Support you have for the rear of the top when the sides and Rear are off.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
If it's fiberglass, it's got to be lighter than the stock one. I've got a stock one where the PO put in a sunroof. I was thinking to eventually install a sliding ragtop like this as I like the open top feel: https://www.sunroofsource.com/66-77-ford-bronco/

The flexibility to remove panels on that fiberglass would be really nice for summer.

a little better view..... :cool:

Attachments

• EBTop.jpg
    EBTop.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 34