• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Build Thread-Project MACK the Halfcab

rpmgarage22

Hello, All!

I will lead in by saying that I am known to be a man of (too) many words. So, I apologize if these posts are lenghty, at times... If you can, bear with me. If not, thank you for taking a look!

First, the Background. Next, the Plan. Then, the Work.

The Background:

For some time, I have planned to "feature" a customer's Bronco on either a build thread here, or on a YouTube channel. In each case, however, I found components of their builds that I knew would draw negative comments. In each case, I did not really know if negative comments would affect their decisions and/or if it would cause them to change direction on me, mid-build. Although I do my best to offer opinions (when asked, most of the time...sometimes without being asked) on "build-style", I am careful to let my customer shape their own Bronco, and thus their own "Bronco Experience". So, for the past four years, I have avoided doing that "feature".

Recently, I had the opportunity to purchase the Bronco that will be the subject of this build thread. It belonged to a customer of mine. The amount, and level, of work that he wanted proved to be far more costly than he was willing to undertake. The Bronco, itself, was inoperable.

So, after weighing his options, he asked me to appraise it for him, "as-is". I offered him the appraisal. He thought about it for a few days. Then, he called me and offered it to me for $500 under my appraisal and offered to include numerous spare wheels, tires, and a few trim pieces. I verified that he did not want to seek another appraisal (as I did not want him to think that I was "low-balling" the appraisal in hopes of snatching it up myself). He assured me that he did not and that he trusted my judgment (I had built a vehicle from a different manufacturer for him previously).

So, with the agreed upon number of Benjamins in hand, I met with him to collect the spares and the title. The only caveat to the sale was that I had to return the "MACK" truck bulldog mounted to the hood. It had belonged to his father, who was, you guessed it, an avid MACK trucks fan. I complied with the demand, but decided that the Bronco should be named "MACK the Halfcab" to carry on a portion of the sentiment.

And, that is how I came to own MACK the Halfcab...

(I hope you will tune in...)

(The Plan will be next...)

(Pictures to follow...)

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As for me, I enjoyed the intro/background! Looking forward to the next part.

Norm

hunter1

Contributor
Loc.
Maryville, Tn
Bulldog

I see you are in Clinton. I am in Maryville. Did this Bronco come from this area? I had a neighbor when I was a kid that had a red Bronco with a Mack Bulldog on the hood. I dont remember for sure if it was a half cab or not, but I can remember that Bulldog on the hood as clear as day!

OP
OP
rpmgarage22

rpmgarage22

I see you are in Clinton. I am in Maryville. Did this Bronco come from this area? I had a neighbor when I was a kid that had a red Bronco with a Mack Bulldog on the hood. I dont remember for sure if it was a half cab or not, but I can remember that Bulldog on the hood as clear as day!

Yessir! It did come from your area! If you know the previous owner, you probably know he was heartbrokn to part with it.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics...is it the one? I changed to an original set of Westerns and 31x10.50's...

-Mike

Attachments

• MACK left rear.jpg
    MACK left rear.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 152
  • MACK rt ft 2.jpg
    MACK rt ft 2.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Driver Front View.jpg
    Driver Front View.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 164

hunter1

Contributor
Loc.
Maryville, Tn
Bulldog

Could be but hard to tell. Last time I would have probably saw it was around 1985. It was stock, uncut and red. With the MACK Bulldog on the hood. This guy actually had a brother that lived close by that had a bronco as well.

OP
OP
rpmgarage22

rpmgarage22

The Plan:

As I said, I was concerned about my customers’ feelings...so, no previous builds were covered. With MACK, since it belongs to me, I don’t have to be concerned with the naysayers. On to the plan-

1) Real world budget of $25k, not including the cost of the Bronco.
2) Report actual parts cost.
3) Include actual labor hours...valued at $50 per hour.
4) Leave body relatively untouched
5) Build to true “daily driver” capability...No cooling issues, excellent brakes, great ride quality, reliability, easy starting, etc.
6) Leave manual transmission.
7) Explain why I make certain choices and report other options that were available. In some cases, explain why I chose one option over the other.
8) Use components from all the major players in the Bronco game. Provide unbiased feedback about the initial appearance, installation, and performance of those parts.
9) Add some custom touches that I add to many of my builds. Explain the benefits.
10) Include some “shortcuts” and explain the rationale or rebut why some shortcuts should be avoided.

Thanks for tuning in...

Attachments

• 200FF2E4-DC1B-407C-8C32-65B9330CF589.jpeg
    200FF2E4-DC1B-407C-8C32-65B9330CF589.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 51

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
looking forward to following your thread! and I like wordy explanations on this forum, it helps to have more background and gives insight into reasons why you went a certain way. Thanks for sharing.

mustanggarage

Contributor
i'm interested in following along as well. I know some of the choices I make/made on my build cause people to cringe as well, but one of the greatest things about the car hobby is that there is no one way to do something. I like looking at the way other people do there projects. it helps to expand my perspective and gives me options.

OP
OP
rpmgarage22

rpmgarage22

i'm interested in following along as well. I know some of the choices I make/made on my build cause people to cringe as well, but one of the greatest things about the car hobby is that there is no one way to do something. I like looking at the way other people do there projects. it helps to expand my perspective and gives me options.

Yessir! The best thing about the hobby, in general, to me, is expression. Like you, I may not like some people's choices "for myself"...but, they didn't build it for me anyway!

I really like it when someone is willing to tell you why they made a specific choice...especially when it is something "out of the ordinary".

I came to Broncos from hotrodding. Early in my build career, I only built what I wanted...only added what I wanted to see on the vehicle. Then, when it came time to sell... Well, sometimes that hurt the price. BUT, more often than not, if I got a chance to explain "why I did that", the potential new customer could see the benefit and it ended up being a selling point instead of a failing point.

Although I am a fan of "Traditional", I have never been a stickler for "Restorations". Hotrodding, at its core, was always about modifying. That's probably why Restomods still appeal to me the most.

Thank you for your comment!

OP
OP
rpmgarage22

rpmgarage22

More on "The Plan":

On a later post, I will list my "must haves" and my "hope to haves". Again, I am working with a $25,000 budget (maybe The Missus doesn't catch adding the zero on the right and that comma moving one space to the right as well!).

NOTE:

Also, in the interest of transparency and full disclosure...

PLEASE DO NOT FAULT ME FOR MY HONESTY HERE!

I have received some offers of donated parts from some of the fine vendors (thank you for that, by the way).

IF I am able to accept any of those offers, I still plan to follow the rules that I put upon myself in the beginning. If the part doesn't "fit" with the direction of the build, I will politely, and discreetly, decline. If the part does fit with the direction, I will still apply the value of the part and the installation against the overall budget. I will also declare, in the installation post for that/those parts, that the items were provided by "insert name here".

However, and again, please do not fault me for my honesty here... If the "donated" part was not the part that I would choose to use in the first place, I will politely and discreetly decline and I will not mention it at all in this build thread.

That having been said, if I had not already decided upon a specific "brand" or type for that part, then I may accept and will still declare that the part was provided just as described above.

I hope everyone recognizes this for what it is... Although I am a "shop", and I hope this build thread "helps" in that area, I am truly doing this "real world build" to benefit all of us.

On a final note for this post:

This is my first "build thread" on a "modern" forum. So, it may take me a few pages to get everything dialed-in and keep the flow and (hopefully) not lose everyone's interest.

Thank you for following along.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Hi Mike, and welcome to the forum. I’m very interested in following your build. I like the direction you are going and your plan for the build sounds great.

OP
OP
rpmgarage22

rpmgarage22

Hi Mike, and welcome to the forum. I’m very interested in following your build. I like the direction you are going and your plan for the build sounds great.

Thank you, Sir!

I have actually been a member here for over 4 1/2 years now. But, I have been more of a "lurker" than a commenter!

I have learned from many of you and actually know lots of you from my "day job"... I'm actually the "Mike" you get when you call James Duff for technical support. That "other Michael" (Monster Mike) is younger, has a bit more hair, and a few less pounds!

But, thanks again, for the welcome and for following the build!

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Thank you, Sir!

I have actually been a member here for over 4 1/2 years now. But, I have been more of a "lurker" than a commenter!

I have learned from many of you and actually know lots of you from my "day job"... I'm actually the "Mike" you get when you call James Duff for technical support. That "other Michael" (Monster Mike) is younger, has a bit more hair, and a few less pounds!

But, thanks again, for the welcome and for following the build!

So cool, I did not know your connection with the Duff’s. Big fan of James Duff and their products. Many items from them are on my wish list.

OP
OP
rpmgarage22

rpmgarage22

The Work:

In "The Work" section, I will also record the cost of parts, the labor hours, and keep a running tally against the budget.

I can only work on MACK during "breaks" and a few scheduled "work on MY own stuff" times. So, the amount of work per post may range from just a few minutes, to half a day.

Today, I installed a set of hood struts (for a metal hood) from James Duff. I like this setup because the hood side brackets completely span two of the factory hood braces (for extra support in those known weak areas), and the opening height of the hood is adjustable. This helps for those "correctly-heighted" gentlemen, such as myself (5'7"). I chose the middle mounting point for now. Since MACK is stock height, the hood opens farther than original, but I can still reach it to close without issue.

I included unboxing pics so that you can see how things come packaged. Since I purchased this set (last year sometime), Duff has changed the design to include "D" and "P" stamped/marked onto the brackets. This is a nice feature. If you still have the older style, just make sure that both your hood side and fender side brackets are mirror images of each other (shown in pics).

Although the instructions and the installation are pretty straight forward, I did think of a couple of "notes to self" that you might want to keep in mind:
1) The nylock nuts for the struts are METRIC, while the ones for the brackets are SAE. You might want to sort them before beginning, as they are so close that you could force the metric nuts onto the SAE bolts. They are easy to spot, as the shoulders on the METRIC nuts are shorter than on the SAE nuts. Pick them out first, segregate, and you will be fine.
2) Holding the washer/nut combination in the opening on the hood can be challenging and can take forever. There are options. You can take a small amount of RTV and dab the top of the washer, then stick the nut on top. Then, you can hold the assembly in position with a magnet while you start the bolt/washer/bracket combo from below. You can also use another "trick taught to me by an old timer" where you spray the washer/nut combo with headliner glue and "stick" it the the wrench...but that one might be more trouble than it's worth for this installation.

I installed the hood struts at this point because I just don't like that original prop rod in the first place. It is always in the way; it lets the hood flex in the wind; it always looks like it's gonna snap at any minute and let the hood drop on your head (which would probably hurt the hood, in my case), or worse, on your hands as they rest on the core support admiring your work; as the hood side of the rod wears, the ears let it "dig in" and can make it a pain to get out so that you can shut the hood; and, it is too easy to lay that thing down in the wrong position and then shut the hood on it. Of course, then you open it back and slam it five times before you realize that the hood didn't actually "warp" while you were working on it that day!

In the end, this project took just over an hour, from opening the box to throwing away the leftovers. The amount of lift assistance offered by the strut rods is "just right". You can unlatch the hood and just let it go. The strut rods easily lift it at a steady pace, staying even from side to side, and kinda "slow to a stop" at the end with no "pop-stop" like some others I have seen. The brackets and the strut body are powdercoated in kind of a satin black, which also works perfectly with MACK's style.

Attachments

• Hood Struts Installed Pic 2.jpg
    Hood Struts Installed Pic 2.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Hood Struts Installed.jpg
    Hood Struts Installed.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Driver Fender Brace Installed.jpg
    Driver Fender Brace Installed.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Driver Hood Brace Installed.jpg
    Driver Hood Brace Installed.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Hood Strut Hood Brackets.jpg
    Hood Strut Hood Brackets.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Hood Strut Pic.jpg
    Hood Strut Pic.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Before Hood Struts.jpg
    Before Hood Struts.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Unboxing Hood Struts.jpg
    Unboxing Hood Struts.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
rpmgarage22

rpmgarage22

I also installed a pair of Mustang outside mirrors from Scott Drake. Coming from a hotrodding background, my style was always to match the shape of the mirror with that of the headlight. So, I have never been a fan of the Bronco's square mirrors combined with its round headlights. The solution? Use Mustang mirrors!

I have no idea what the mirrors on MACK came from. I just know that I do not like them. Of course, I had hoped that I could use at least one of those mounting holes and then cover the other with the new mirror. NOPE! Not gonna happen!

Well, I could have... But, then I wouldn't be able to use the vent window. And, well, I love vent windows! So, I moved the Mustang mirrors back to relatively the same position as the original Bronco mirrors, drilled a couple of holes, dabbed on a bit of primer, and (I'm gonna use the wrong word here just to avoid talking about screwing into a door) bolted them on.

Why did I jump so far ahead and bolt on some shiny new mirrors? A couple of reasons:
1) I plan to keep MACK in drivable condition as much as possible during the build. I am old school and use my mirrors to back up (farm and trucking background...couldn't back up with my arm on the seat, looking over my shoulder, if I tried...). Even the small Mustang mirrors are sufficient for that chore with the wheelbase of the Bronco. (I did opt for the Convex passenger mirror...a bit more money, but easier use. Just remember, "Objects Are Larger Than They Appear!) Now, when pullng my 32' gooseneck behind MACK, that may be a different story! (You didn't think I got a halfcab by accident, did you? Gotta make a call to B&W for one of their "Bronco-specific" Hide-A-Ball kits! HAHA!)
2) Since very few of the parts on MACK are gonna be the shiny kind, I want these mirrors to see a bit of the Tennessee winter elements so that they don't look like it's his first day of school.
(Side Note: For you younger folks, back in the "old days", our parents bought us a new pair of tennis shoes...yes, just ONE PAIR... during the summer. But, we weren't allowed to wear them, even once, until school started in the fall. So, first few weeks of school each year, you had those neon-white leather laceups on. Actually, I primarily wore boots, even in those days. But, you didn't get a new pair of Justin's every year. You either got Dad's hand-me-downs, or they bought you a pair three sizes too big and you wore multiple pairs of socks until you "grew into them". Oh, yeah, in those days, those Justin's NEVER "wore out". I mean NEVER!)

Anyway, since I had to mark and drill new holes, this project took about 30 minutes.

Today's Tally:
Hood Struts $99.95
Mustang Mirrors $62.50
Labor $75.00

Remaining Available Budget- $25,000.00
Todays Expendtures- 237.45

Remaining Budget- $24,762.55

Thank you for tuning in!

Attachments

• Original Mirror from front.jpg
    Original Mirror from front.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 79