• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welding Helmet?

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Group,

What brand, make of auto darkening helmet do you use for your welding? Mine bit the dust last week and I was welding with my old flip down style and that is a PIA.... I have been looking online and just wanted opinions. I have beek looking at 2 in particular: https://smile.amazon.com/Hobart-770890-Auto-Darkening-Welding-Helmet/dp/B07MKRYWMD/ref=sr_1_7?crid=257G9MINWTZBZ&keywords=welding+helmet+auto+darkening&qid=1581878133&s=hi&sprefix=welding+helmet%2Ctools%2C172&sr=1-7#customerReviews

& https://www.harborfreight.com/arcsafe-auto-darkening-welding-helmet-63749.html

Open to all opinions

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I have tried several different helmets. It seems like most of them are decent quality, you can spend as much as you want on a helmet. I have seen cheaper models perform just as well as some of the more expensive ones. I use Jackson brand helmets and been happy with them. I use them mostly because that is what is sold at my local welding store.
I do prefer the larger screen models with the cut, weld , grind modes just to keep from switching to different shields. It speeds things up a bit, but not necessary by any means. If you were welding all the time using different processes with a need for shade adjustments then some of the high end models are great. I also prefer a helmet that uses batteries over the solar units (just my preference). For regular shop welding I think the ones you are looking at would be great as well.
Just my 2 cents, I am sure others will chime in with their experiences as well. Like you said, a good auto dark helmet sure makes things easier.
Have a good one!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Couple years ago I was walking through the Miller booth at SEMA. Already had a nice auto darkening helmet. They had me try a new one. Huge window. Bought it. Also better color. Pretty sure Esab has one like it as well.

I've used the cheap HF helmets as well. They work. If you had a flip before you will think they are great. They are OK, and a pretty good deal for the price. But there are nicer.

I also picked up some auto darkening goggles and leather hood. At the time only Miller sold them. They are all over the place on Amazon. Miller now has a nicer one. I hate it! Except when trying to weld something to the bottom of a trailer and there is barely room for my head and no room for a traditional welding helmet. At that point it is the greatest welding helmet, (er, goggles?) ever. Only use it once or twice a year when nothing else will do.

needsmoarturbo

I picked this one up based on reviews and was amazed at the clarity...love it and have had zero issues.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Auto-Darkening-Variable-Shade-Hydrographic-Welding-Helmet/1000003026

I got the same one for Xmas this year. Bonus it was on clearance for $46 so if you have a Lowes near you it might be worth checking in store and see if they still have one in stock. The screen is large and it works great.
I will say I tried a Lincoln Viking 3350 that the welder at my work has, and damn it is impressive. I think they're around $250 but if you have the dough it is quite amazing how clear the view is when welding. It's almost clear instead of the green shade you usually see. Kinda hard to describe you have to try it to see.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That "clear" is the true color that the better helmets have. Sounds like it is getting more common. Think color TV instead of a black and white (green?) TV. You get the same picture, but once you have color it is hard to go back.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Here’s my favorite I’ve used by far, not cheap but is very clear, highly adjustable, I even use it outside in full sun and in the dark, many will not do well in either one.
https://www.amazon.com/ESAB-Sentinel-Automatic-0700000800-Accessories/dp/B07DLGLKC3/ref=asc_df_B07DLGLKC3/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310054314911&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13595633323498373059&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1024290&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-568911333820&psc=1

Many of my guys like the much more budget minded Jackson, they don’t pay for them and can use anything they want, they say they are lighter causing less neck strain. They run about $100 and last them using them daily about a year. I have guys using the Esab unit going on 4 years. So there is a quality difference between

unimogger

Loc.
Philthadelphia
I've probably got 6 helmets between my home, mobile rigs, and shop.. and tried many of the different brands. The cheap ones are fine for what they are, but essentially disposable as they don't last long. The Jackson are OK. There Esab are very nice, but nobody carries Esab lenses; their US parts support is thin. Speedglas has been my brand. Rock solid, fairly readily available lenses, easy to swap batteries. You can spend a little or a lot, depending on the window size, and adjustability you want. I have yet to have one break, and one of them was purchased in 2000!

martinphoto

I have been a welder by trade for the last 13 years give or take. I have found that you get what you pay for. I switched to the speed glass as soon I could afford one. Light weight, durable etc. Had one for 8 years without any issues. Then I started tig welding stainless daily and had issues with it triggering. Bought a Lincoln Viking helmet and I love it. It has a huge screen. One of the largest available 3 years ago. It also has a blue tint instead of the green which makes it easier to see for me. Another thing to consider is your eyesight. While the lesser cost hoods may seem to work fine they don't have the same quality protection as the more expensive hoods. Over time your eyes will suffer if you use it on a regular or daily basis.

BOBS 2 68S

Loc.
Hudson, CO
I am using a Miller Digital. And love it. It has 5 sensors. If you are TIG welding stay away from the cheap helmets.
Remember you only have 1 set of eyes.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I've used the cheap HF helmets as well. They work. If you had a flip before you will think they are great. They are OK, and a pretty good deal for the price. But there are nicer.

I got one of the HF's the on with the "flames" on the side.....Use it all the time on the Bronco and Samurai and other odd jobs. There are better out there for sure. My buddies "Miller" brand he got with his welder is very nice. Used it a couple times while at his shop......Much more clear than the HF.

The HF will get it done and does...Just welded up a Samurai 2 inch exhaust with it.....

Tim

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
What ever helmet I'm using now I have to have a cheater lens or a good pair of reading glasses that fit under the helmet. In other words my eyes are getting old;)

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For the better part of 30 years, I've used a Jackson flip (standard w/o auto-darkening) and for the past 20 or so an auto-darkening Jackson. They did the job, but when the Jackson auto-darkening failed about a couple of years ago, I picked up a Miller Infiniti auto-darkening hood and have been really please. I almost bought the ESAB Sentinel, but the guys I know running them have the same issues with getting replacement lenses as noted above.

The Miller Infiniti goes on sale for less than $200 pretty regularly and seems to be holding up really well thus far. It's a bit on the heavy side compared to my old helmets, but after a couple of days, I didn't notice it anymore.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
I bought a Miller Digital Elite last year and have been happy with it.

I had an older Hobart auto-darkening helmet that worked okay. But you had to remember to turn it on first, which caused me flash on several occasions. The Miller is auto-on. Hopefully the Hobarts are updated now as they share a lot of the same guts as the cheaper Miller hoods.

rpmgarage22

I recently bought this helmet for my "other shop", since I kept forgetting to take my Miller with me:
https://www.harborfreight.com/weldi...safe-auto-darkening-welding-helmet-63749.html

I will tell you this: I love it! Although it is heavier than the Miller...it's not by much. The headband mechanism actually works better than my Miller. My Miller always falls down at will...but then hangs up when I want it to drop.

The viewing field is larger and the next-gen technoology is incredible, even compared to the Miller (I know...it's not "apples to apples"...but still.)

It didn't hurt that the Vulcan was less than half the cost of the Miller:
https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc....V1rsjUJZn2PZHGxF5NTyNND3StltH1U4aAtgOEALw_wcB
Of course, the Miller has come way down in price. I bought it the first week it came out.

OP
OP
svastano

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
I went to HF and they were all out of the Vulcan so I stopped by Tractor supply and looked at the Hobart one and bought it. Looks nice and good specs on it. Also 50 less than the Vulcan. Time will tell.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
What ever helmet I'm using now I have to have a cheater lens or a good pair of reading glasses that fit under the helmet. In other words my eyes are getting old;)

Gene,

We call those experienced Eyes! At least that is what all kids tell me in the office...

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I don't do a lot with it but I have a HF unit. I also have one that you have to hold in place...;D