• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Jekyl & Hyde builds

Jaybr

Contributor
Not sure these builds will be worthy of a thread but thought I’d document anyway. “Jekyl” is the new stock 76 Ranger and will be left mostly stock but restored with a few driver friendly upgrades. This will be the wife’s truck so she’ll be choosing options. I may actually take this one to a restoration shop but haven’t decided yet. I’ll be fixing a few things to get it drivable in the short term.

“Hyde” is not stock now and will never be that way. Fist thing I want to address is steering and brakes, and today feels like Christmas

I just picked up a pallet of parts from James Duff at the fedex terminal.

Since I plan on rebuilding most everything from the ground up, I chose to just replace all of the steering and suspension with new rather than chasing problems and addressing one at a time.

This order includes:
New steering box
Heim steer
Trex radius arms
Front disc brake kit
2.5” coils
2.5” 11 spring leaf pack

It’s already got a DD slip steering staff and a new adjustable track bar so they can stay.

The truck has 3.5” lift on it now, but I’ll need to add body lift and don’t want it any taller so swapping it out while everything is apart.

d4386f8e77ad51b4464d1e1e92dcda21.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Keep ordering by the pallet and you will have it done in no time.;D Good luck with your builds.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
make sure you open everything up this weekend and check for damage or missing parts. When ordering in bulk especially, many don't (myself included) and realize too late that something is wrong. Our vendors are great but they still have policies, like i know of one that has a 48 hr policy to report damage. have fun!

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Got started on the 76 this weekend. Replaced a collapsed front brake line Saturday, but then got a call Saturday night to track a bear and was worn out yesterday and avoided the garage

Pulled the carb this morning and tore it apart, will soak overnight the clean and rebuild tomorrow. I was told it had been recently rebuilt but the float occasionally sticks causing flooding. The only other issue I need to address before driving it is the passenger window is off track. PO had all the new parts so should be a quick fix. IMG_0581.jpg

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Got the carb done, running like a top. Also fixed the passenger side window track. It’s ready for a drive tomorrow

Should get started on the suspension/steering/brakes on the 74 this week.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Been busy today, everything torn down except the radius arms. Hoping to get the new spindles, brackets, and brakes painted, radius arms swapped, and start putting it back together tomorrow.
This is all the stuff I’ve pulled off:

48499a5af59b7bba77dc121ee253b3fe.jpg

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Love the thread title, I would have considered that my build story, but really it's been more like George of the Jungle. I keep hitting that tree.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Made a little more progress today. Radius arms are off and perches pretty well cleaned up. Wasn’t expecting to have to cut the cap off

My wonderful wife taped and painted the brake parts. About ready to start putting it back together, however last thing I noticed was how rusty and crusty the brake like brackets are so probably pull them and clean/paint

43f752e788590cfcec4ac0a49c8616ba.jpg
e3b00d500017957d981a49cf68c16b88.jpg
8ad1159e3f674a807fdb81554ebae2ed.jpg
98805b93f2003f0e291619951ade9587.jpg

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Finally got the axle cleaned up and the extra bracket off and grinded smooth. Started reassembly today and got on spindle on and still fighting to get one of the ball joints torqued down. No work travel this week so hope to get the front end back together and start on the rear.

5c0fa783b29e5c64908823036de0d821.jpg

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Spent too much time cleaning up these caps this afternoon, I guess it’s time for a blasting cabinet.

This pic is with only one cleaned to show the difference. I got them both done and a coat of paint on them.

Also ordered a right angle impact today, hopefully that will help get the lower ball joint seated.
6faca35b38db45fb11cecfc28a6afce1.jpg

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
So we have seen a lot of parts pictures but no before pictures of the broncos that's getting all this attention!

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
The 74’ (orange) is the one torn apart right now. The plan is to continue working on it and do the body later, I know it’s kinda backwards.

I’ll be taking the 76 to Lick Creek for the body work. The plan is Tom will strip it down to frame and I’ll go back and pickup the frame and all the parts and build that while he does the body. This one will be the wife’s, and well ladies first.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Made a little more progress this afternoon. Ups dropped off the new right angle impact I ordered from amazon and it made short work of the lower ball joint that wouldn’t seat.

Got the tension right at 25lbs on both sides.

Finished prepping the caps, and got the spindles and axles installed. Had one spindle done and realized the upper ball joint zerk was hitting the u-joint and had to remove it all and start over
04b3a8024272db165743ddefd826f024.jpg
46c6b067bcfbeb9ca489a5dd01c9a725.jpg
b2c83010212b74610683be5b90d36781.jpg

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Jekyl & Hyde builds

Took a break yesterday, it was cold

Got the rotors and hubs installed this afternoon with no issues, the spindle nut nub even lined up with the washer on the first go round on one side. New Warn hubs where a breeze to install, I’m going to clean up the ford hubs and use them on the other truck since it will be more stockish .

Got one side head unit for the T-Rex arms installed. @Monster Mike those bushings are a real PITA.

Tomorrow I’ll get the arms done then Saturday I have some help coming over to help get the axle back under the truck.

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Just read through your thread. Both broncos are very nice. At a quick glance the '76 Ranger doesn't look like it needs to be taken to a body shop. I love it the way it is!!!

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Just read through your thread. Both broncos are very nice. At a quick glance the '76 Ranger doesn't look like it needs to be taken to a body shop. I love it the way it is!!!

Thanks, others have said the same about the 76. There are some areas underneath that pretty shell that need to be addressed. I plan on keeping these for a long time so going to address the rust now.

More importantly, the 76 will be the wife’s and she hates the brown.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Ordered two Blueprint 306s today, also have Helwig sway bars and Duff hydro boost on the way. Going to be busy the next few weeks!