• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coyote Build Ignition Question

ultrarunner7

Heres what I've got.
Boss 302 Coyote, Power By Hour 6R80 harness. The harness itself has two wires. One says "key", the other says "start". I also have a wire that installed to the positive battery terminal.
The vehicle only stays cranked if I keep it all the way right in the start position. When I release it, it turns off. It's a brand new ignition switch. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20191011_215127.jpg
    20191011_215127.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20191011_215125.jpg
    20191011_215125.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 18
  • 20191011_215117.jpg
    20191011_215117.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 15

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You have to test the switch with an ohm meter before digging into any wiring issues. The new switches are often bad right out of the box, so don't ignore it for thinking it's new, so it must be good.

So this switch came with a kit of some kind, and they marked the locations? Or did you put the labels on yourself?
Did you check for voltage on the wires? The one from the "posbatt" sounds like it has 12v or the starter would not crank, but you should check it anyway.
Maybe the other two are reversed.

I never memorized the pin positions, but there are charts here you can compare yours to, to verify that the labels are correct.

Last, but back to being defective, it's possible that the ON position is going dead when the switch is turned all the way to START. In the old days when that happened (which was fairly often with an old worn out switch) this fact was hidden because of the extra wire from the starter relay to the ignition coil. That had power in START and would keep the ignition powered up while the starter was cranking.
Only when both functions failed after years of use would the engine crank, but not start. But with the new setups without that "I" wire, you have to rely on the switch alone.

Does your setup retain the old style Ford starter relay on the fender, or does it just wire the key straight to the starter solenoid?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great! I like the sound of good to go. Does that mean you're near the point where you'll have it up an running? Or are you still dialing in some of the setup?

Good luck.

Paul