• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco history search via VIN # or????

waltjr94

Loc.
East Bay Area CA
HI all- new to this site. So I have a 71 U14 that I believe was purchased off of the California state vehicle contract in 1971 for one of the SoCal mountain fire departments. I'm the 3rd owner & have had this beast since 1983. The gentleman that owned it before me bought it at an auction in 1979 or 80 as a retired municipal vehicle. Unfortunately I was unable to talk directly with him since he had passed away & I bought the vehicle from 1 of his sons.
So here are my questions:
Has anyone done a vehicle search using the VIN# to find out about it's history?
IF so. what sources would you recommend to look at?

I'm not super tech savvy & have had little or zero success finding any info for on this vehicle. Thanks in advance for any help.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
As half Cab mentioned, Marti will get you the most info. You will probably want to get their deluxe or premier for the most information. I typically get the Deluxe for all of my customers.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Marti Reports are great. They won't give you the name of each owner after the dealer got it of course, but will give you most of the initial findings and if it was a special gov't order and that type of stuff.

For a full owner search, which is restricted to a certain degree by the states you're looking in, takes more work. Not sure how successful people have been or how much you'd want them to know if you were one of the previous owners yourself.

Good luck though. And welcome to classicbroncos too! Sounds like you've had yours for a long time now. That's great. Post up some pictures when you feel like it. We love checking out other member's Broncos. And especially an original half-cab or roadster!

Let us know what you find out too.

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
waltjr94

waltjr94

Loc.
East Bay Area CA
Thanks for the info about the Marti Auto Works. I did find the name of the original Ford dealer who sold the vehicle, Corberly Ford of Los Angeles Calif. I'm pretty sure this vehicle was purchased off of the CA state contract in 71. It was used by one of the SoCal fire departments in the foothills or mountains.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Old commercial license plates too. Seems consistent with it's use. Cool...
Most EB's of that "blue plate" era got six-digit plates with three numbers followed by three letters. A first number, then a letter than a string of numbers was commercial and what many pickup trucks got.
Might be simply because this was, as a half-cab, actually referred to on the registration as a "pickup" so maybe all half-cabs got commercial plates? I've seen plenty of commercial plated EB's over the years, but no way to know if most of them were originally half-cabs or not.
Be interesting to find out how that worked though.

So Walt, you coming to our Wild Horses Bronco Roundup on April 6th over in Lodi by any chance? Not sure if I asked you so figured I'd throw it out there since we're practically in your back yard.
Bring the Bronco if you can of course, but come anyway even without it. Be fun.

Paul

OP
OP
waltjr94

waltjr94

Loc.
East Bay Area CA
I don't have the DSO number yet. I should get it after I order the Marti report.

On my steering wheel...is it a Stroppe wheel or something else?

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you still have the warranty plate on the glovebox door? Is there no DSO listed there?
I've seen them left blank, but usually even the special DSO numbers are stamped in I thought.

Paul

OP
OP
waltjr94

waltjr94

Loc.
East Bay Area CA
Hi Paul- Yes it has the warranty plate on the glove box door- I will check it out. Thanks for all this info! Going to go check it out RIGHT NOW!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool! One more link in the chain.
I wonder, were all the "special" DSO's the same number, or did they vary too by what specific entity did the purchasing?
Maybe the Navy got one, DOT or Agriculture got others?

I bet Mr Kimball would know!
Sure would be interesting to see the warranty plate on the old Green Acres roadsters!

Paul

OP
OP
waltjr94

waltjr94

Loc.
East Bay Area CA
Paul- I just uploaded a picture of the warranty plate in my garage interior section.

Also I'm hoping to make it on 4/6 in Lodi.

mebco09

Definitely a special order DSO.

Some of the military broncos were DSO 830000.

Ill bet you are on the right track with some sort of government order