• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hurricane Turbine Cyclone Western Wheels Rims

SwedenBronco

Loc.
Gothenburg, Sweden
I on the other hand think that you have way to many wheels, you should send me a set of 15x10, I would have loved to have a set of turbine wheels for my Bronco. They used to show up frequently in the classifieds up to some years ago, but now it's nothing showing up here Sweden any more..

OP
OP
FRANKO289

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
I on the other hand think that you have way to many wheels, you should send me a set of 15x10, I would have loved to have a set of turbine wheels for my Bronco. They used to show up frequently in the classifieds up to some years ago, but now it's nothing showing up here Sweden any more..

no problem ....

I am going to be this summer in north europe .... E-MAIL !!! ;)

Franko289@aol.com

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Working on getting info on one right now Franko, will let you know when I get better pics and condition.

Attachments

• DSCF0056 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0056 (Medium).JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 93
OP
OP
FRANKO289

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
Cool thanks !!! Let me know if the are 15X10s

taker

Perhaps somebody could tell me which wheel this is? Its 8 lug and has 18 spokes?

WheelandTirePic.jpg

taker

Thinking about buying those for a project and was just curious what they actually are?

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I need to get these cleaned but they will end up being the rim on my bronco. They are 15x10. If anyone has an extra to sell P.M. me as I need a spare.

IMG_3278.jpg

Henry

OP
OP
FRANKO289

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
I need to get these cleaned but they will end up being the rim on my bronco. They are 15x10. If anyone has an extra to sell P.M. me as I need a spare.

IMG_3278.jpg

Henry

Darn Henry ... you have what i am looking for ... " its the real McCoy"

10 spoke Vector Lee wheels !!! :p

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
Franko, the picture of wheels you showed have Keystone center caps, where Appliance the manufacture for Keystone Wheels?

OP
OP
FRANKO289

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
Franko, the picture of wheels you showed have Keystone center caps, where Appliance the manufacture for Keystone Wheels?

YES ...

PER: Harry R.

AP wheel inquiry....

Strange as it may seem, I worked for the company thought bought Appliance Wheel Industries in the early 1980's from W.R.Grace. Grace owned it for a short while really. (They had NO business in the wheel or any performance industy product, as they were from the "food industry" if memory serves me correctly).

In 1981, I worked for a company that ran Keystone and Appliace Wheels, called Intermark, which created a sub holding company called "Dynamark". Keystone and Appliance were "merged" and product lines merged (a mistake for sure!), and I had my first taste of corporate "downsizing" in a takeover!

Yes, some wheels from AP actually say "W.R.Grace Made in Japan", which I believe were the training grounds for Enkei Wheels to learn the "volume" we did in the states. They had learned of the volume first hand by doing our castings over there. Keystone was the best at plating, and AP had been the best in styling.

Appliance was a great company. Keystone was a great company, but they were now run by a company that was a "numbers only" place. Wheel saavy people had a hell of a time with this structure for sure, me included.

I had sold wheels in the "Valley" of So Cal at a very high volume wheel and tire speed shop, and knew from experience what it took to sell and install wheels!

We had also been one of the largest Western Wheel Dealers at the time (1976 to 1980), it was called Autocessories Wholesale at 8801 No. Sepulveda Blvd., Sepulveda (but everyone knew us as Van Nuys).

Today, I find used AP wheels in various places and have them restored. People always ask me "what are those?" as I have them polished and detail painted. I use a lot of what they called a "Turbo-Vec" which was AP's "knock off" of American Racing's "Vector".

I really enjoyed growing up in the wheel and tire part of the aftermarket industry.

I have worked for some other great company's in their day... Super Shops, and BF Goodrich when it was BF Goodrich, not Michelin owned!

Sorry but I feel that someone should know the actual "what the "f" happened" to these great company's.

Thanks for your time.

Harry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Appliance made a wide variety of wheels... I believe they WERE originally American made, but later (late 60s/early 70s) they started having their wheels produced in Japan... Ironically, the Japan cast A/P torq thrust style mags are some of the nicest wheels ever made, with castings superior to the real deal Americans they were copying, as well as other US made torq-thrust copies.

Attachments

• 004-7.jpg
    004-7.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 013-6.jpg
    013-6.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 247
  • 039-4.jpg
    039-4.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 407

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
Yes that makes since. I owned some Keystone Classics in the day and remember the logo changing, once I broke a wheel I had to update the center caps. Cool stuff learned here. I also thought it was Western Wheel that sold the cyclone style wheels, which where very popular. In fact my neighbor bought a set of Michelin TRX tires that came with a set of wheels or cyclone wheels due to the unique bead design.

Last edited:

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Darn Henry ... you have what i am looking for ... " its the real McCoy"

10 spoke Vector Lee wheels !!! :p

Funny thing is I was looking for slots when I came across these. Now that I have these I dont want to switch to slots just because I dont see them on many broncos and its good to look a little different.

Henry