• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What suspension lift do I have?

Hultzger

Loc.
Martinez
I've had my Bronco for almost three weeks and I've learned a ton from you guys. The previous owner gave me a hand written list of updates and changes he made but no receipts or model numbers. Does anyone know how much lift I have and any idea who made it?

Last edited:

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Measure from top of front axle to frame directly above it, anything more than 7" is your lift. Same for rear but it's 6". If i have it backwards someone will correct me. -jeff

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking at the Bronco in your Garage, I would guess a Rancho 3" Coil up front and 2-3" lift blocks in the rear on the original springs.

OP
OP
Hultzger

Hultzger

Loc.
Martinez
Looking at the Bronco in your Garage, I would guess a Rancho 3" Coil up front and 2-3" lift blocks in the rear on the original springs.

I measured per Jeff's instructions and it appears to line up a 3" coil in the front and a 2" block in the back. The measurement in the back is about 9" so does that mean that stock is 7" axle to frame?

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
It sure does look like a Rancho front 3.5" lift coil. So most likely it was a 3.5" lift kit. The rears sat a little higher than the front in stock form. I had the same ones on my 67 when I got it. The bronco rode like a tank. And the stock rear spring were worn out so it sat low in the ass end. Get your self a set of progressive coils from Wild Horses or Duffs it will be an amazing difference. As for the rear get rid of the blocks and do a set of quality lift springs. Best bet is to get a new lift kit with all the springs bushings and parts you need. Truck will ride much better all the way around.

OP
OP
Hultzger

Hultzger

Loc.
Martinez
It sure does look like a Rancho front 3.5" lift coil. So most likely it was a 3.5" lift kit. The rears sat a little higher than the front in stock form. I had the same ones on my 67 when I got it. The bronco rode like a tank. And the stock rear spring were worn out so it sat low in the ass end. Get your self a set of progressive coils from Wild Horses or Duffs it will be an amazing difference. As for the rear get rid of the blocks and do a set of quality lift springs. Best bet is to get a new lift kit with all the springs bushings and parts you need. Truck will ride much better all the way around.

I think it might be, the measurements were over 9 inches. It does ride a bit rough. I'll have to consider your recommendation. Thanks all for your input!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Measure from top of front axle to frame directly above it, anything more than 7" is your lift. Same for rear but it's 6". If i have it backwards someone will correct me. -jeff

Correct. (I get it backwards now and then though...%))
But I'll add the usual Hultzger, and say "your results may vary" and the measurements are approx. so anything within 1/2" or so should be considered "accurate enough" for a Bronco

Plus add-a-leaves it looks like.

I measured per Jeff's instructions and it appears to line up a 3" coil in the front and a 2" block in the back. The measurement in the back is about 9" so does that mean that stock is 7" axle to frame?

Nope, just the 6" that 1strodeo mentioned.
The discrepancy is likely old, tired and sagged out rear springs and a big thick add-a-leaf on the bottom.
It looks like an add-a-leaf to me at least. the stock overload spring was flatter and thinner in my memory.

The aluminum block might have been Rancho, or it might have been from some other source. I thought they used cast-iron blocks in their kits, but that could have changed over the years.
Many of their Bronco lift kits were front coils and a single add-a-leaf only. No blocks. In your case, even the add-a-leaf does not look like the Rancho version, which (at least in the old days) was a thinner leaf.
They did offer an optional block at one point though, and between that and the ensuing 30 years, things may have changed. Seems like none of the old-school suspension companies offer their long thin add-a-leaf kits anymore. Just the short thick ones.
Cheaper to make probably, but stiff as a brick.

Actually rated at just 3" but could have been more or less depending.
But they were also super stiff coils. Rated at over 400lbs/in if I remember. We ran that down last year in another thread I think.

I think it might be, the measurements were over 9 inches. It does ride a bit rough. I'll have to consider your recommendation. Thanks all for your input!

It should ride rough! That add-a-leaf is a honkin' great thick one, and on a topless, light-in-the-rear Bronco with tired old sacked out stock springs, that's a recipe for a real buckboard ride. No matter how stiff or soft the shocks are.
The new style springs will definitely ride better in the front, and in your case should improve the rear greatly as well. It's not like the new leaves ride soft, but they're much less harsh than the old ones, and with your add-a-leaf in there, they should be MUCH less harsh.
Even if those were still the factory overloads on yours, you'd have the hard ride because the upper leaves are not supposed to rest on the thick ones. They remain above it with a gap, only riding on the big leaves when you load up a bunch of weight in the back of the truck.

Great looking truck too by the way. And you still have some things to look forward to!

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I've had my Bronco for almost three weeks and I've learned a ton from you guys. The previous owner gave me a hand written list of updates and changes he made but no receipts or model numbers. Does anyone know how much lift I have and any idea who made it?

that's nice you at least got a list...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

you so good :)

OP
OP
Hultzger

Hultzger

Loc.
Martinez
that's nice you at least got a list...

Here's the list he gave me. Old school guy hand written. As I said not a lot of specifics.

Anybody have any thoughts or does anything look a little strange?

Attachments

• 1967 Build List.pdf
    240.1 KB · Views: 15

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Most of the stuff on the list doesn't have to be too specific, because it is pretty basic to begin with. Such as "body mounts" even though they can be stock height, or with an integrated 1" lift. Easy to see at a glance though.
The "rear 9" 4.11 locker" is somewhat straightforward too, but it would have been nice to know if it's a real locker, or a limited-slip, or which type/brand of either.
Items like LED dash lights could be good or bad depending on your tastes. I like them for their look, but most of them do not dim with the headlight switch like I prefer, so I still use regular bulbs in mine.

Most of the stuff looks really good to have had done too! These are mostly things you can peruse yourself when you're wandering around, over, under and through your rig. Pop the hood and see what is new vs old. And eyeball how things were done. That's your best way of knowing if it's good or bad.

We can help with the basic stuff, with pictures. But some stuff is just going to have to be hands on by you.
Post up some pics for us. Lots of under-hood stuff, under body stuff, and whatever you feel like. Besides, hey, you're a contributor! Might as well get your money's worth, right?;D

Thanks

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and the wheel bearings on the list could be huge! If that meant the rear wheel bearings, which is should have since they were in the rear end to fit the gears anyway, then you're ahead of the game compared to most new owners that don't know the history of the rear wheel bearings.

The fronts however can be hit or miss. Great that he mentions them being serviced, but the question mark here is whether or not they were adjusted properly when re-installed.
Most shops no longer remember how to do it, and seem to be reluctant to take the time to hunt down the instructions.
Money is time of course, but this is an important thing to do right.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I missed this the first time around, but the only thing that really looks suspect is "77 dash wiring harness" listed right there in the middle.
Say what?;D

Guess that's one of those things you'll have to check out. Might be a bit strange, but hey, what the heck.
And if it ain't broke, don't fix it!;D

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Most of the stuff on the list doesn't have to be too specific, because it is pretty basic to begin with. Such as "body mounts" even though they can be stock height, or with an integrated 1" lift. Easy to see at a glance though.
The "rear 9" 4.11 locker" is somewhat straightforward too, but it would have been nice to know if it's a real locker, or a limited-slip, or which type/brand of either.
Items like LED dash lights could be good or bad depending on your tastes. I like them for their look, but most of them do not dim with the headlight switch like I prefer, so I still use regular bulbs in mine.

Most of the stuff looks really good to have had done too! These are mostly things you can peruse yourself when you're wandering around, over, under and through your rig. Pop the hood and see what is new vs old. And eyeball how things were done. That's your best way of knowing if it's good or bad.

We can help with the basic stuff, with pictures. But some stuff is just going to have to be hands on by you.
Post up some pics for us. Lots of under-hood stuff, under body stuff, and whatever you feel like. Besides, hey, you're a contributor! Might as well get your money's worth, right?;D

Thanks

l

Yup...... ^^^

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Here's the list he gave me. Old school guy hand written. As I said not a lot of specifics.

Anybody have any thoughts or does anything look a little strange?

Cool. Something is better than nothing right

Just make it your own

Attend bronco events. See others mods and get your own game plan

OP
OP
Hultzger

Hultzger

Loc.
Martinez
Okay, I'll take you up on that. I figured since I've learned a bunch from you guys, I might as well support the site.

I missed this the first time around, but the only thing that really looks suspect is "77 dash wiring harness" listed right there in the middle.
Say what?;D

Per the list, PO put in the '77 dash to go with the harness. Does it look like one?

Attachments

• 1967 Build List.jpg
    1967 Build List.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Dash Steering Wheel.jpg
    Dash Steering Wheel.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 21

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep-ish. It's got the dash light bars (illuminated indicators under the control knobs) of the '73 and later style.
I think there was another change or three after '73/'74 that would separate an earlier from a later, but at least you know it's definitely not a '67 dash.

I hope they did a sanitary job of integrating the wiring from the later model to the earlier model though. PO's that think they're wiring gurus can sure wreak havoc on us later owners!
But with luck you won't have any electrical issues.
Just curious, but is the fuse panel in the glovebox, or on the floor/firewall just above the driver's foot?

Paul

OP
OP
Hultzger

Hultzger

Loc.
Martinez
Yep-ish. It's got the dash light bars (illuminated indicators under the control knobs) of the '73 and later style.
I think there was another change or three after '73/'74 that would separate an earlier from a later, but at least you know it's definitely not a '67 dash.

I hope they did a sanitary job of integrating the wiring from the later model to the earlier model though. PO's that think they're wiring gurus can sure wreak havoc on us later owners!
But with luck you won't have any electrical issues.
Just curious, but is the fuse panel in the glovebox, or on the floor/firewall just above the driver's foot?

Paul

In the glove box. Fingers crossed, so far no issues.

Attachments

• Fuse Box.jpg
    Fuse Box.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 16