Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 11/18/19, 12:06 PM   #16
widowmaker77

excel,AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by englewoodcowboy View Post
If you are blasting the rust off then no, if you aim to paint over rust as some others have suggested, we have used KBS with great results in the past. To try and get the best bang for the buck is the fewer steps you have to do the better. Ospho when you apply it needs to cure then you need to sand it as it will create a film that will cause paint to release etc. As for finish underneath, I like raptor as it creates a very durable easy to repair under layer that is also easy to clean. The texture of it hides blemishes etc. as well as the thickness it can be applied provides some sound proofing qualities over paint. It all comes down to your end result you want to achieve.
Ok great! Let me ask yíall this. If I blast, treat with por15 metal prep then do the por15 paint would I be able to go back letís say a year or two in the future and apply raptor liner over it? If I decide I really want the raptor liner underneath. I understand itís best to do everything all at the same time but all of that isnít doable for me right now.

no a 77 is AN EARLY BRONCO!!
widowmaker77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/19, 01:08 PM   #17
hyghlndr
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Delaware ????
For good paint for the buck Rustoleum Professional Grade (Home Depot or Lowes in a gallon) or Tractor Supply's Tractor and Implement paint. Both good choices on a budget.
hyghlndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/19, 01:14 PM   #18
Revelation
Ḅ̷̢̛̛̥̼̥̜͕̘̺̤͐͑́̍̾̓̾͘ O̶̕

Got Stainless?

Kissimmee, Florida

My Gallery
Garage
Being a 66 if you ever wanted to do a stock resto on it you would kick yourself for using any bedliner.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/19, 03:05 PM   #19
englewoodcowboy
Contributor
Lick Creek Restorations

"The Duck"

Ceres, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by widowmaker77 View Post
Ok great! Let me ask yíall this. If I blast, treat with por15 metal prep then do the por15 paint would I be able to go back letís say a year or two in the future and apply raptor liner over it? If I decide I really want the raptor liner underneath. I understand itís best to do everything all at the same time but all of that isnít doable for me right now.
You should be able to, just be sure you read the products info is all. Most will require a good scuff for adhesion but if the products are dissimilar you may need to add a link coat between them like an epoxy or some of the products like KBS may simply require a fresh application of that in between whatever you top coat it with for best performance. All of the data should be on the products to determine.

BoxWood Green Poly '73 (o===o) 347 Stroker, FiTech Go EFI, Explorer Serp,2.5" Duff SL w/Bilsteins, Duff TQ Tamer, AOD, Hydroboost, TrueTrac LS Front & Rear, 4.88 gears, 35" BFG KM3, F150 Disc Brake, Factory PS, Family Cage ctsy Nick's Trix, AC, Stereo, PWR Windows, Locks & Steps My Build.
englewoodcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/19, 03:27 PM   #20
widowmaker77

excel,AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyghlndr View Post
For good paint for the buck Rustoleum Professional Grade (Home Depot or Lowes in a gallon) or Tractor Supply's Tractor and Implement paint. Both good choices on a budget.
Thank you sir. I might have to go this route for the time being. Three in college and Christmas time has taken a toll on my budget. Lol

Old 11/18/19, 03:30 PM   #21
widowmaker77

excel,AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by englewoodcowboy View Post
You should be able to, just be sure you read the products info is all. Most will require a good scuff for adhesion but if the products are dissimilar you may need to add a link coat between them like an epoxy or some of the products like KBS may simply require a fresh application of that in between whatever you top coat it with for best performance. All of the data should be on the products to determine.
I would like to do this for the underside to seal it and probably go with a cheaper engine bay and exterior paint for now. Thank you!

Old 11/19/19, 09:42 AM   #22
rguest3
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Lakewood Ranch
Garage
After being prepped, seam sealed, I use a PPG Epoxy Primer in Red Oxide.

Your 66 may have traces of this color primer underneath from the Factory.

Look at the 69 Bronco in My Garage. You can see the Red Oxide there.

I then LineX the under side of the Inner Fenders black. The rest remains Red Oxide.

1976 - Ford Magnetic Paint, 351w, Sniper With Hyperspark, AX-15, Hydro PDB, PS, LUBR and Special Decor
1977 - Ford Ingot Silver Paint, Coyote, 4R70W, Hydro PDB
1969 - Gobi Paint, FiTech 306, AT, PDB, PS, LUBR
1971 - Boxwood Green, 351C, MT, PDB, PS
rguest3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/19, 12:35 PM   #23
widowmaker77

excel,AL
Yep the under side is coated in the red oxide primer and undercoating. The undercoating is peeling off in places now and to begin with I scraped it all off down to the red oxide and spray painted it with rustoleum. Now I’ve decided I want to go ahead and do it right by blasting it and sealing it with some type of primer and or paint. Then eventually I’d like to raptor line it. Probably going to blast it , treat it and use por15. I’ve had this bronco since I was 15. I bought it from an old fellow and paid him $250 for it that earned by cutting grass one summer. That was 3o years ago. It’s not going anywhere and I want to preserve it and use it. I have a 77 also that’s more sentimental than this 66 but that’s a another story. Lol

Old 11/19/19, 09:25 PM   #24
widowmaker77

excel,AL
Quote:
The more I look at this paint, the more I think Iím going to use it on the engine bay and exterior. Since Iíve never painted a vehicle before I donít want to shell out for more expensive paint only to screw it up. If I can get this sprayed decent, it will all be the same color and I wonít be afraid to run it through the bushes since I wonít have much money invested in the paint. I am going to blast and Por15 the interior and underside.

Old 11/19/19, 11:18 PM   #25
hyghlndr
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Delaware ????
Quote:
Originally Posted by widowmaker77 View Post
The more I look at this paint, the more I think Iím going to use it on the engine bay and exterior. Since Iíve never painted a vehicle before I donít want to shell out for more expensive paint only to screw it up. If I can get this sprayed decent, it will all be the same color and I wonít be afraid to run it through the bushes since I wonít have much money invested in the paint. I am going to blast and Por15 the interior and underside.
Tractor Supply sells an additive that makes it even harder and helps keep the gloss factor. Worth the money for the exterior.
Old 11/21/19, 08:18 PM   #26
gmduncan
Contributor

Arnold

My Gallery
Garage
https://www.kbs-coatings.com/Undercoatings.html

or

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/RustSeal.html

I coated my frame with Rust Seal. Good stuff.
gmduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/19, 11:27 AM   #27
widowmaker77

excel,AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmduncan View Post
Thanks man! Iím trying to do a comparison now between kbs stuff and Por 15. Iím thinking Iíll go with one or the other underneath. Iím wanting to blast it then paint it with one of these products.

Old 11/23/19, 11:37 AM   #28
hyghlndr
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Delaware ????
Tractor Supply has the Rustoleum Tractor paint for $10 off this week.
Old 11/23/19, 11:45 AM   #29
jmangi62
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Hasta la vista,baby!

Omaha
Garage
While the por and I've are absolutely wonderful products, let me throw you another choice. Rust Bullet. I used it for the simple fact that it was uv resistant, while the por required a topcoat. This saved me a step, and saved a ton of time. At that time it was a sponsor here. Don't know if it is anymore, but it comes in silver as well as black, great stuff.
jmangi62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/19, 09:48 PM   #30
widowmaker77

excel,AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmangi62 View Post
While the por and I've are absolutely wonderful products, let me throw you another choice. Rust Bullet. I used it for the simple fact that it was uv resistant, while the por required a topcoat. This saved me a step, and saved a ton of time. At that time it was a sponsor here. Don't know if it is anymore, but it comes in silver as well as black, great stuff.
Thanks! I was looking at this stuff last night. Tried to find some feedback about it on here but t I didnít see anything.

Quote:
Tractor Supply has the Rustoleum Tractor paint for $10 off this week.
Preciate it! Iím going to my local tractor supply tomorrow to see what they have there. With this Rust-oleum paint do you spray clear coat on it?

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat