• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Using late model seats with airbags

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am parting out a 2017 Mustang using the drivetrain for another project and started thinking the seats would work for one of my other projects. They have side impact airbags as well as power and am not quite sure about how to disable the airbag or prevent any thing during install that may activate. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Simple, just unplug them. Don't cut the wires. The typical airbag connector has a shorting bar that shorts the two wires together to prevent the squib in the airbag from firing. Cut wires are the most dangerous as you can send a charge through one wire and fire the squib. There is potential for current flow. If the wires are cut, splice them together and it is safe as the splice is strong.

The better solution is find an upholstery shop and have them cut and fit a foam block the shape of the airbag module. Take the bag out and put the foam in its place. It is a fairly common thing to do. I've known people to buy seats with blown airbags for cheap, have the material replaced or repaired and put the foam in. Illegal to reinstall in the original vehicle as you tampered with a safety system, and it can be said deceptively as well. But for transplanting into an older car, no different than any other junkyard seat.

The airbag system controls the seat airbags as well. So without the control module and the sensors to match, there is no making the seats transplant with a functional airbag. The tuning that goes into airbag systems (steering wheel, seat, curtain, knee bolster, seatbelt pretensioners, etc) is tuned for the exact crumple zone of the chassis of the original vehicle. The Bronco is so far from anything that has these systems it is more dangerous to try and make them work than to not have them at all.

chriskent85

I'm putting 2017 mustang seats in mine. I just plan on not running power to the airbag wires. That way I can still use the power seats and heated and cooled options.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the replies. I will need to read up and make sure I know what I am plugging in and not plugging in. It may be self explanatory once I get them out but was just trying to do a little homework to gain some insight. Thanks again. Chriskent85, are you using any harness or just wiring fresh for the seats?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ejector seats. Glad you brought this up. I was thinking of getting newer mustang seats too.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I'm putting 2017 mustang seats in mine. I just plan on not running power to the airbag wires. That way I can still use the power seats and heated and cooled options.

I hope you are short, power seats have taller bases than manual seats and if you are a tall person you will see the top of the windshield frame right in front of you.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They do add a couple inches over stock but until I place them in there I wont know for sure. I already have them so if I don't like the placement they will not go in. I am not tall so that will play a part in my decision!

chriskent85

Thanks for the replies. I will need to read up and make sure I know what I am plugging in and not plugging in. It may be self explanatory once I get them out but was just trying to do a little homework to gain some insight. Thanks again. Chriskent85, are you using any harness or just wiring fresh for the seats?

I have the Ford tech manual with the wiring diagrams if you need them.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That would be huge if it is not too much trouble. Appreciate it.

chriskent85

I test fit mine today to see where the base will mount and how tall they will be. The base sits up 5.5 inches from the floor. I sat in it and it seems like it's gonna be a good height.
MVIMG_20190426_163741_zpswxzsgydh.jpg

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking good, thanks for sharing. I will be doing the same test soon. What are you doing for seat belts? Also on the inside of the seats you will need to build a cover fr the seat base. What thoughts do you have there? I was just going to have someone sew up a black vinyl skirt for it unless you have a better idea.

chriskent85

I'm gonna find a retractable seatbelt that will click into the factory seat and mount it to my roll cage. And as far as the inside of the seat. I have a middle console that should cover it just like the factory console in the mustang does

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm gonna find a retractable seatbelt that will click into the factory seat and mount it to my roll cage. And as far as the inside of the seat. I have a middle console that should cover it just like the factory console in the mustang does
did you get the seats installed yet? Please share pictures and advice if so. Thanks

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Definitely measure 3 times. Unplug once. ;d

CraigS

Leaving the bags in and wiring to an anti-theft system would be cool. Except I'd forget them and kill myself.