• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Orange Bronco in the Calendar

BulldogBronco

Does anyone know what cage is in the Orange Bronco on the homepage for the calendar advertisement? Not sure if it's the Krawlers Edge or something else but I like the way it looks and need to upgrade to a family cage instead of just the roll bar.

suckerpunched

Howard, Bulldog, thanks for the compliments. We are really happy with the outcome and the father son part of it is irreplaceable. My son is going to college in Flagstaff now having the time of his life, Bronco is here with me but will end up with him after school. It is his, that was our deal, so I won't be sad to see it go. getting ready to build my own.

OP
OP
BulldogBronco

BulldogBronco

Sucker punched, I read through the thread and was able to find the cages online. What mods did you make if you don’t mind me asking? Looks like the ones they have available now have a piece running to the rear wheel well rather than running horizontally over it like yours. Was that one of your mods or just how they were building them a few years back?

suckerpunched

that was a mod I asked them to make. I think the the other way is likely to be stronger, it is better triangulated I just don't care for all the funky angles that don't match up to anything. I like the way it looks parallel to the bed rail.
I opted for the "tall man cage" I am 6'-2". In there design, the front legs would have welded to the b hoop slightly inward from where I welded mine I moved them out so they would be parallel to the door frames and farther away from my head. It throws the fit of dash bar off a little bit when doing that and had to shorten it slightly. The top bar that joins the B hoop to C hoop on mine is a straight tube, this was just my preference you can compare mine to the picks on their website of the bar they normally would have provided, they will send you what ever one you want.
I ended up shortening the rear hoop about one inch. If you make it the same height as the b hoop, the top bar joining the two does not end up square to top edge of side window of the bronco top. Never realized it before but the side window tappers and gets shorter towards the rear. So if you were to pull a string across the top of my cage front to rear you will see the rear half tapers down a little which matches the top better. I have seen some cages that actually look like the rear half angles up, like the rear hoop is too tall, but I think it is an optical illusion and they are probably in reality flat. So, at least in my opinion, shortening the rear hoop a little helps clean the looks up in couple different ways. It ended up fitting really nice against the body and will buy another one from Bronco Bob on my next project. They were great to work with. If you want things tweeked a little to suit your liking they will try to accommodate.

suckerpunched

Sucker punched, I read through the thread and was able to find the cages online. What mods did you make if you don’t mind me asking? Looks like the ones they have available now have a piece running to the rear wheel well rather than running horizontally over it like yours. Was that one of your mods or just how they were building them a few years back?

I didn't look at their current pictures but at the time I believe that bar ran from high on the b hoop to low on the c hoop, not actually bolting to the wheel well

OP
OP
BulldogBronco

BulldogBronco

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Another question, how do you mount the threaded panel under the bed rails that lets you screw the top bolts on without having to remove the interior panels? I've seen them on sale from the vendors but wasn't sure if they were welded on or what?

suckerpunched

i used two stainless countersunk screws on each side that thread into the piece underneath along with a little adhesive. I dimpled the screw hole so the heads were nice and flush to the bed rail. I think if i did it again i would just glue it in. body shops use a material they refer to as "panel bond" that is pretty much permanent.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i used two stainless countersunk screws on each side that thread into the piece underneath along with a little adhesive. I dimpled the screw hole so the heads were nice and flush to the bed rail. I think if i did it again i would just glue it in. body shops use a material they refer to as "panel bond" that is pretty much permanent.

I used a strip of 1" x 1/8" x maybe 4.5' drilled for the bolts, welded nuts on to match the holes, then tapped it from the nut side so the threads lined up. It's mounted with panel adhesive to underneath the quarter panel.

BTW SuckerPunched, nice job. We started about the same time but I still have about 2 months left. That's what I said last year too. %). Your calendar shot had motivated me to get in next years calendar!

suckerpunched

I used a strip of 1" x 1/8" x maybe 4.5' drilled for the bolts, welded nuts on to match the holes, then tapped it from the nut side so the threads lined up. It's mounted with panel adhesive to underneath the quarter panel.

BTW SuckerPunched, nice job. We started about the same time but I still have about 2 months left. That's what I said last year too. %). Your calendar shot had motivated me to get in next years calendar!

awesome, get it done. I want to see it in there.