• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

proportioning valve

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I need to replace my proportioning valve,and was wondering if any body has used a different style than the one I have been using?I have not had good luck with this style.

Attachments

• wiring bronco 006.jpg
    wiring bronco 006.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 233

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I need to replace my proportioning valve,and was wondering if any body has used a different style than the one I have been using?I have not had good luck with this style.

I went to a manual valve when I did the Hydroboost conversion... Once I got it dialed in, I haven't given it another thought

Attachments

• HB17.jpg
    HB17.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 192

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana

What is the problem that youre having with it? Looks like a standard stock disk/drum prop valve.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Dont even run one still running the stock H block with my setup works fine. The only time you really need a valve is if the rear brakes are locking up before the fronts.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I have been having trouble with them leaking out the valve in the back where the rubber cap covers the pin.I have move it to different locations and still had leaking problems.Last location by the MC lasted the longest.I'm thinking the heat from the headers are part of the problem.So I was wondering if others were having the same issues, and if so did they find a solution or tried a different style of valve.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru

I can't be sure from your picture, however it would appear that you're running a 1971-1977 GM disc/drum or disc/disc combination valve, probably the most common aftermarket OE-based unit currently in use for these sorts of applications. Quality seems to vary depending on who you get it from as I would have to believe there are several manufacturers. I personally would ditch the OE-units and run a universal adjustable unit like the one that 904bronco posted because even though the fixed proportioning OE-units were designed for a range of applications, a Bronco was not one of them.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Huh. Never heard of heat related issues like that but I guess its possible. I was kind of wondering why you had it mounted under the master. Like stated, alot of times a prop valve isnt even needed. But if youre pretty sure you do then I would see about moving yours farther down the frame rail. I have a friend who uses the adjustable type in his race car to adjust for the fat and skinny tire mismatch but it seems to me that the adjustable nature involves more parts so more chance of it failing or leaking. Just speculating though. In any case your situation doesnt sound common. Countless trucks run that prop valve without issues. Personally I would try picking up another one and move it away from direct heat.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Thanks for the response,I will go ahead and pickup another one,I mounted it to the MC to get it away from the header,it was mounted on the frame rail in the stock location,you can buy brackets to mount the valve to the MC,from MP brakes.I was getting rear wheel lock up after I put the disc break kit and booster kit on so I put the proportioning valve on to fix the problem.

Attachments

• wiring bronco 007.jpg
    wiring bronco 007.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 126

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
prop valve

I have been having trouble with them leaking out the valve in the back where the rubber cap covers the pin.I have move it to different locations and still had leaking problems.Last location by the MC lasted the longest.I'm thinking the heat from the headers are part of the problem.So I was wondering if others were having the same issues, and if so did they find a solution or tried a different style of valve.

I had the same issue and finally found a vendor that sells the relief valve with new seals. I also wrapped the unit with a mini heat blanket.
Not all of the seals failed only one on the inside of the relief valve so I don't know if it was heat or it was nicked during assembly. We'll see how long these seals last.