• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transmission?

bronco tamer

So I made the mistake to not de the special tool in the transmission before removing t case. So I think I dropped the needle bearings into the transmission. Is this difficult to fix with no transmission experience? I’ve searched on here for a thread or info on how to do this so if you could direct me to one or help out On how to do this. Thanks in advance

ransil

Bronco Guru
no help with your problem but I always zip tied the shift leaver together when R&R'ing the tranny

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300817

This one is in today and another one just recently.

The OP is post #12 in that thread asking the same question.

To answer the question, as stated by Paul in the thread above, you have to disassemble nearly the entire transmission to get it apart enough to reinstall the bearings. Just keep track of how everything came out, put everything back in the same order, and it's not terribly difficult. All of the parts ride on the mainshaft in a particular order.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
The OP is post #12 in that thread asking the same question.

To answer the question, as stated by Paul in the thread above, you have to disassemble nearly the entire transmission to get it apart enough to reinstall the bearings. Just keep track of how everything came out, put everything back in the same order, and it's not terribly difficult. All of the parts ride on the mainshaft in a particular order.

That's why I was confused they started another thread in chat. He is perfectly able to do whatever he wants. Just may not get as many responses??

Thanks for helping him out.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
There's a way to prevent those needle bearings from falling out. gear position? I forgot what it was.

I've been there under the rig trying to fish out those bearings with a magnet.

OP
OP
B

bronco tamer

Yeah sorry guys I didn’t mean to double post. Thanks for everyone’s help I appreciate it.

OP
OP
B

bronco tamer

Sort of but not really.�� I was hoping for a step by step like a lot of guys put on here for some things but havnt found one. I did find a shop manual on the trans so I’ll stumble through that.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
Been a long time since I've done one, I don't remember it being to bad. Pretty much what you have already been told as I recall. Don't over think it and take a bunch of pictures. Once the input shaft is out of the way everything should come out the side cover opening.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The only two new tools I needed to do the job were a set of longer Allen wrenches (my standard short ones were hard to get to the shift fork set-screws) and one of those heavy-duty flat-tipped snap-ring pliers.
There are some pretty robust external snap-rings holding a few things together, and the normal stuff just won't cut it.
Other than those two, if you have most of the other regular tools you should have what you need.

And depending on which version of the trans you have, you probably will not be able to pull the front input shaft out through the front bearing hole like the books say.
They don't mention that there is a difference in the gear that is part of the shaft (not removable separately in other words) and apparently the early models could pull right out the front in no time.
If you have the other model like I did with my '71 (I think it's the lower first gear ratio that makes the difference?) then you have to fiddle-fart around with the shaft until you can get it to clear the other bits and pieces to pull it out the top of the trans case.

Good luck.

Paul

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
Forgot to mention the ones I've done you have to drop the cluster gear into the bottom of the case so you can angle it out. Put a dummy shaft to hold the bearings in the cluster gear in place. Can be a wood dowel. Also didn't mention I haven't done a bronco manual. Paul mentioned something I've never seen before and probably bronco specific. Hopefully Paul and others will jump in.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes to dropping the cluster.

Which part was different from your experience? The "top" vs the "side" thing?
All Ford 3.03's are "top loaders" so no such thing as a side cover on ours.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I seem to remember being able to get it done by just removing the rear output bearing. But I did disassemble the entire box and refurb everything, so I might be getting those steps mixed up a bit.
But the front shaft was a tight fit coming out first. Had to let the output section flop around a lot just to wiggle it out the top.
No way in the world it was ever going to come out the front.

Unfortunately I sold my close-ratio box before I could mess with it (it was in almost new shape, so no reason to do anything with it anyway) in any detail to see if that was the difference.
I hated that box by the way. First gear was WAY too tall, even with 4.11's and in 4-wheel low.

Paul