• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best exhaust kit?

cjb

Loc.
Ann Arbor
Good morning, Ive been looking around at exhaust options and it seems like there's not many options out there. Im currently running Long tube headers through a pretty much straight piped dual exhaust and at 40 mile an hour and on it sounds like a stock car with the 3 speed, I use a beats pill as a radio and with it turned all the way up I can barely hear it and on top of that, the tone is pretty terrible just cruising around. It was fun for a little but its not enjoyable for normal driving. What is gonna be the best set up to still have some volume and a good tone without it being in your face when you don't want it to be? Thanks

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
Probably more information is needed.
What headers are you using?
What mufflers are you using?
Do you want to change everything (headers, pipes and muffler), or just some parts?

If you just want to quiet it down, maybe a new set of mufflers will do it.
All depends on how far you want to take this.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It sounds like he doesn’t have any mufflers if it’s straight pipe after headers. Pictures might help. Cheap rout to just add couple mufflers. Sound and tone is all personal. Hard to recommend with video.

Eugene

OP
OP
C

cjb

Loc.
Ann Arbor
Ill get a video at speed later. Im honestly not sure what brand of headers is on it and the exhaust is a POS Build a bronco craft job that probably leakes.

I guess my question really is what will be a good combination of off the shelf headers and exhaust kit that will have the best balance between performance and practicality between short tube, different brand of long tube, or going back to manifolds and using an exhaust kit from Borla or something alone the lines of that.

I might be wishful thinking, my truck is still in the long long term body work phase so I don't have any dyna matting or carpet in the thing so I get you can only do so much to control volume in a metal box with a 302 strapped to it.

JSBX

Contributor
Most of the vendors have complete kits and some have more then one with choice of mufflers from quite to loud. I bought one form Duff with their long tube headers that fit good and sounded good. My son bought one from BC Broncos that also fit good and had a good sound. On my latest project I took it to a muffler shop and let them build me a system. Not much price difference. The point is there are plenty of kits out there and the custom route. Shop and compare prices to get the best deal.

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would order online through JBG, then drive to Brighton the next day and pick it up.

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Exhaust-Systems/products/1936/

Obviously COVID-19 may affect this ... but here is their directions on how to pick up an order:

Q: I'm planning on picking my parts up in the store, what should I know before I plan my visit?

When you are placing an order that you want to pick up at the Bronco Graveyard please make sure you order your parts online at least 24 hours in advance. All orders must be done this way since we no longer take any orders in the store or over the phone. We do this for a number of reasons but the main one is we want to make sure that when you make the trip here you leave with what you came for! We are a mail order company that ships out hundreds of parts a day, so if you come to the store without placing an order ahead of time we might end up not having what you need. With you ordering ahead of time not only will the parts be pulled and paid for ahead which saves you time, but you won't have to worry about not knowing if something is in or out of stock. Please make sure to plan ahead before planning your visit!

OP
OP
C

cjb

Loc.
Ann Arbor
I would order online through JBG, then drive to Brighton the next day and pick it up.

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Exhaust-Systems/products/1936/

Obviously COVID-19 may affect this ... but here is their directions on how to pick up an order:

Q: I'm planning on picking my parts up in the store, what should I know before I plan my visit?

When you are placing an order that you want to pick up at the Bronco Graveyard please make sure you order your parts online at least 24 hours in advance. All orders must be done this way since we no longer take any orders in the store or over the phone. We do this for a number of reasons but the main one is we want to make sure that when you make the trip here you leave with what you came for! We are a mail order company that ships out hundreds of parts a day, so if you come to the store without placing an order ahead of time we might end up not having what you need. With you ordering ahead of time not only will the parts be pulled and paid for ahead which saves you time, but you won't have to worry about not knowing if something is in or out of stock. Please make sure to plan ahead before planning your visit!

Just made a trip up there on tuesday to pick up a billet gas cap and a trans gasket, the guys over there have great customer service and every part off the long list of stuff I brought has been great. Wish you weren't so close to me so I wouldn't be so tempted to buy so many parts lol.

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
JBG for the convince for sure, and you’ll save on the shipping. I live just down the street from JBG but went with the Duff 2-1.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Best exhaust kit - Local exhaust shop for me. It's made to fit the Bronco as its installed and ends up perfect every time.

I am actually headed there this morning to get my cousins Bronco exhaust installed. 2-into-1 with a Flowmaster Super 50 Muffler and tailpipe at stock location.

I have used the same shop for years. Just like all other places you get your Bronco worked on, you need a good relationship with the shop. I will actually be under the truck with them as they bend the pipe to make sure they get it perfect. Not hard, they know what I want.

Headers already installed and muffler of my choice in hand. Exhaust is complete and $200-250 out the door.