• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Should sheetmetal cavities be closed up?

Skinnyr1

I have all of the sheetmetal work done and am moving towards paint work.

I replaced the inner side of the A pillar,kick panels, and outer rockers. I also patched the cowl a bit on top where it runs as a rectangle side to side.

Should the bottom of the A pillar and the cowl be closed up? They rusted out before because of captured moisture, especially the A pillar. The bottom was capped and held 10lbs of crap in each side.

The rockers have a couple factory holes in them to let water out, but I don't know how effective it really is.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Leave the openings. Maintain the openings are clear of debris, mud, sand etc and you will be fine.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
If you can keep any and all moisture and debris out, then yes maybe seal them up.

However, I don't believe that's possible unless you live Nevada or a similar dry climate in which case I don't think it matters anyway.

Good luck

needsmoarturbo

I would leave them open so stuff can drain out, but coat the inside with cavity wax to protect the areas.

OP
OP
S

Skinnyr1

Did some final prep for paint yesterday. Decided to seal up the cowl channel on the ends by welding in plates. But I cut a small access hole under the dash so that I can spray in there if need be. With a long tube, I sprayed rust reformer, paint, and then maxicoat in there to hopefully keep water at bay.

The bottom of the A pillars I will treat and leave open. The rockers have access holes that I'll spray paint in later too.