• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New leaf springs pretty banged up

smittymike19

Just bought a brand new suspension lift kit from a pretty popular website we all use here. I paid close to 400$ for shipping. The leaf springs were just laying in my driveway and they were all scratched up (these are painted black). Should I be irritated that these were shipped without being wrapped or protected or is this normal for how leaf springs are shipped? I’d think for 400$ They could throw some bubble wrap on them before shipping them across the country.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine was taped together with ups sticker on it. Never thought twice about ship condition but mines a trail truck. Back then I think they/shippers take better care of stuff they ship unlike now where it’s get it gone. I do see point padding on end at least. Might try to touch up paint? Or contact vender and see what they will do.

Eugene

OP
OP
S

smittymike19

Mine was taped together with ups sticker on it. Never thought twice about ship condition but mines a trail truck. Back then I think they/shippers take better care of stuff they ship unlike now where it’s get it gone. I do see point padding on end at least. Might try to touch up paint? Or contact vender and see what they will do.

Eugene

Yeah I reached out to them. They did not seem like it was abnormal that they were banged up.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah. Springs are so heavy that padding probably won’t help with shipper throwing them around. Just have to work to make them scratch and paint better. I’d had stuff packed well and it go to friend in busted box. I pack heavy stuff really well.

Eugene

OP
OP
S

smittymike19

I’d expect that they’d give it the college try. They really aren’t all that heavy.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Black paint, fixed. Mine showed up same way, figure that much for shipping, maybe use some saran package wrap at least. Nope, just a shipping tag on bear springs.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Every set of springs I have ordered are shipped unwrapped with some tape and a UPS sticker.

Prep and paint.

PickleJar

At the truck garage I work at we get ours on pallets in big orders, and they even get banged up...

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Yup I have gotten a few sets from two different vendors and they were just bare with a UPS label. Not a big deal just use some black spray paint and your good to go. To be honest the factory paint on the springs is nothing special and not very smooth or shiny so even if they were perfect I would give them a quick coat of good spray paint.

I ship a lot of stuff for work both heavy and light. It is really hard to get heavy things shipped UPS or Fed Ex ground without them being banged up. Shipping volume is so large now they don't handle the stuff well.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
yeah... makes me laugh a little. The coil springs are nicely powder coated, packaged to avoid scratches etc. Basically nice enough for a show car. Then the leaf springs show up with what appears to be a quick and dirty coat of spray paint without any kind of prep, dust embedded in the paint, scratched all to hell...

When I built my Bronco I built it for trails. I did not much care that the leaf springs were in that condition but I did clean them up and shoot a little more spray paint on them. Now my Bronco is more of a garage queen with much lighter-duty wheeling once in a while. If I ever replace my leaf springs, I will just plan to take the time to clean up and make any new springs look nice. It's ridiculous with the price of them that they show up that way.

phred

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Pretty typical. I had some custom rate springs made by deaver and they were strapped to a pallet but still a little rough from the shipper man handling them in transit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, that's pretty much par for the course in my experience, especially for off-road springs.

That said, I've gotten leaf springs from from some pro-touring muscle car suppliers over the years, and I've got to say, Hotchkis really went the extra mile when shipping leafs with a double or triple-layer corrugated box, blocked and packed with Kraft paper to the point that nothing could more or shift at all. In all honesty, it looked like I'd packaged it, so I was very impressed.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
would you like to pay for a can of spray paint or a 75-100 dollar crating charge?

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
They are leaf springs, not chrome bumpers. Grab the can of black "Bumper and Trim" paint that everyone should have in their garage from Autozone and spray them down and bolt them up. Better than new. Not seeing the issue here for a street or trail truck.