• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Air Cleaner Assembly, pictures, diagrams,and opinions...

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
headers or oe exh manny? There's options.
One is makin it up urself, justa piece of
plate or sheet metal. "C a pic, use a bench".
DIY is 1 reason many of us have these rigs.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
those will B easier to develop this prt of the system for U.
Take a look at the prt...easy enuff to reproduce on the bench...
Going oe = easier to get prts for (the alu/paper riser, etc).

jckkys

Bronco Guru
If enough EB owners interested in accurate reproduction parts demanded them, they would exist. If you own a Boss 429, you can find them, and those cars were produced in tiny numbers compared with any year EB. The problem is the vast majority of EB owners have no idea what a stock EB had as produced. Most EBs are a collection of Rube Goldberg band aid fixes and chrome/billet bling.
My '74-'77 heat shroud is made with at least 4 steel stampings spot welded together. There 3 different heat shield versions in EBs. I can't buy the idea someone is going to fabricate any of them to credibly replicate the OE part on their work bench. That's quite a claim.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
"...can't buy the idea someone is going to fabricate..."
c'mon over my house. Or ck some of these pages...
May B just what U judge:
"...band aid fixes.."
others quite impressive (to me).
Ck the carb hat/oe '73+ combo on mine if I can get
a puter camera from a friend, figure how to post here...
no, nuttin is perfect (even the re-dick-U-loss 80, 100K$
bronks on the auctions) but again, DYI is Y some of us got a bronk.

"...have no idea what a stock..."
Follow the other's lead, place a pic series up so others can have @ an
oe part many have lost B4 present owners acquired (readers here) their vehicle.
That way we can add to the rest0-effort. I'm one who likes as much as possible
M/M and era correct. Sleeper mods fr safety, performance, durability, & pollution
(MPGs is under performance).

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Have you ever considered posting in English? It would enhance your credibility.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
thanks for ur help. PM for details, no need to get into it here unless requested by others (more ppl)...
8^ )

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
Anyone know where to find the Air cleaner Plastic Air Duct?

If you are referring to the "Cold Air" duct that runs through the core support I recently purchased a good used one from Nick at Northeast Classic Ford Parts. I don't believe they are being reproduced.

Mike

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No hole as you guys previously stated. No room to sneak anything by the battery tray either.

Are you sure you can't sneak it past the battery if you slide the battery over to the radiator side of the tray? Or do you have a battery that is filling up the entire corner?
I have not measured precisely, but I always thought there would be enough room and then all you had to do was cut the hole in your pre-'73 core support for the cold-air.

You would also have to relocate your voltage regulator just like Ford did. Either to the firewall (more hassle, but where most of them went in '73) or just down on the wheel well next to the starter relay, where some ended up as well. This latter would be easier and require little to no modification to the wires.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=2038&pictureid=111001[/IMG]

were you trying to post an image? Not sure what happened, but if you tried to upload it directly you can't do that without becoming a contributor for the 12 bucks a year (or again, if yours has expired?) or using another method to link the photo.

About my only option to get cold air and maintain a semi stock appearance would be to run a intake line from the snorkel to a hole in the inner fender.

It would look "more stock" if you were able to use the factory '73 and later stuff though. Rather than cutting more obvious holes, and in more prone-to-debris areas. The core support is more protected there behind the headlight and you might be surprised what all gets thrown up into the wheel well and fender areas while driving.

And I think would just look better and be easier to do as well, if you keep as much of the factory stuff and positioning as possible.
At least I think it would, not having tried it yet myself.

Paul

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
"...as much of the factory stuff ..."
yup, the 'cold air tube' is available, the black pleated rectangular 'hose' and even the silver paper/alu foil corrugated round duct to the exh heat are all available. Just bought. A separate (vintage inlines) carb hat is round but fits my RBS carb. (C specs in sig) Gotta figure out how to go from round (3 inch) to 2X4 rectangle now tho...

I began the bent8 style most know. Hada find a snorkel for the drop base a/c housing that came w/the 4.1/250 i6 ona late model Mav. Hate that huge blue housing but may have to go back to it if no rectangle/round transitional piece is made/found. The carb hat is finned like my V/C
https://www.vintageinlines.com/product-page/low-profile-alloy-carb-hat-style-2
https://www.vintageinlines.com/product-page/alloy-valve-cover
both w/lgt blue ford engine paint'n polished exposed fins. Darned small parts~

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
PvC hose from valve cover to the air cleaner. you will need the vacuum hoses to the vacuum thermostat to close off the snorkel and the water temperature vacuum switch at the front of the intake.

clinem03

I am trying to piece back together my OE air cleaner. I have some oil spilling out of the oil breather (hoping its not my rings!) and the other valve cover on the passenger side. What am I missing here? I figure I am missing a grommet on the air cleaner itself where this PVC would fit in as it is just a bare metal hole after sand blasting and PC it, but what else do I need? Any idea on where to source the parts? I keep searching for PVC's and grommets but cant find any...maybe they are just generic which is why I cant find them when looking at the Bronco vendors or Summit when specifically searching for Bronco parts.

Attachments

• IMG_7158.jpg
    IMG_7158.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7157.jpg
    IMG_7157.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 51

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
sounds almost like 'blow by'.
The system is a "closed pvc system". U need a Y/M/M specific pvc (back of motor helps on crankcase top offs) that goes to manifold not ported vac (ie below throttle plate). 2nd hose goes to a/c housing from center of 'fill cap' @ frnt of motor thus a closed AND clean system & easy top offs.
The rear hasa 'gromet' that presses into the V/C (top/bottom lips encase v/c inside/outside) and the PVC is just a friction 'jab' into it. Harder to explain then do ~

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have some oil spilling out of the oil breather (hoping its not my rings!)
I figure I am missing a grommet on the air cleaner itself where this PVC would fit in as it is just a bare metal hole after sand blasting and PC it, but what else do I need?

It's common for that particular design to build up oil and have it seep out as you drive over time. You can clean it up, seal the tube-to-plastic elbow interfaces better (so more of the oil drips back into the engine instead of out on top of it) and make sure that your other valve cover has a good PCV valve in it to suck most out.
The side you have pictured is just an elbow with a tube for clean air to flow back into the engine from the air cleaner. It's not the PCV valve which would be in the other cover.
Where you have it in the second pic there is a hole under the air cleaner housing. If it's just a hole, you're missing the rubber grommet that the elbow presses in to. Like you were thinking
That holds it in pretty securely.

and the other valve cover on the passenger side.

You mean the driver's side?

What am I missing here?

Can't tell yet. Need to see pics of the underside of the air cleaner and the driver's side of the air cleaner, and the driver's side valve cover.
But it sounds like you only need the grommet. I believe they are generic, but can't say for certain as I've never had to replace the one in the air cleaner housing before. But they sell PCV grommets of many descriptions at most parts sources.

Any idea on where to source the parts? I keep searching for PVC's and grommets but cant find any...maybe they are just generic which is why I cant find them when looking at the Bronco vendors or Summit when specifically searching for Bronco parts.

Yeah, not sure why they're not coming up. But maybe someone has some good search-kung-fu to help.

Paul

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
No "search kung-fu" needed......%)

search PCV and PCV Grommet instead of PVC and you'll get all the info you need. ;D

clinem03

No "search kung-fu" needed......%)

search PCV and PCV Grommet instead of PVC and you'll get all the info you need. ;D

Insert face palm here. This is the exact reason I can’t find it! Hahaha

clinem03

It's common for that particular design to build up oil and have it seep out as you drive over time. You can clean it up, seal the tube-to-plastic elbow interfaces better (so more of the oil drips back into the engine instead of out on top of it) and make sure that your other valve cover has a good PCV valve in it to suck most out.
The side you have pictured is just an elbow with a tube for clean air to flow back into the engine from the air cleaner. It's not the PCV valve which would be in the other cover.
Where you have it in the second pic there is a hole under the air cleaner housing. If it's just a hole, you're missing the rubber grommet that the elbow presses in to. Like you were thinking
That holds it in pretty securely.

You mean the driver's side?

Can't tell yet. Need to see pics of the underside of the air cleaner and the driver's side of the air cleaner, and the driver's side valve cover.
But it sounds like you only need the grommet. I believe they are generic, but can't say for certain as I've never had to replace the one in the air cleaner housing before. But they sell PCV grommets of many descriptions at most parts sources.

Yeah, not sure why they're not coming up. But maybe someone has some good search-kung-fu to help.

Paul

Super helpful, as always, Paul! I’ve got some parts to order and some tinkering to do…

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
There is a spectrum of auto parts suppliers.
At one end R some pretty esoteric suppliers that few of us hear of. Dwn the other end is the kind of places I frequent, work at, or are known to most of us. At the opposite end, still a lill familiar to us R all "the typical bronk vendors".
I stay away from that whole end as it is the most expensive (the items often going thru more 'middle men'), my self a near 40 yr owner & sometimes prts retailer (we call big box stores). Since the early '90s I've frequented these "on-line clubs' of bronks. Here I've learned abt specific oem replacement prts that fit for upgrades (shelby drop, Chuck's explanation of the cj & el dorado rear disc exchange). "Bronco Brothers" as a grp know so much more that I as a single individual. Some know the 'drop ship' vendors too.
They offer comradeship and tips that save me time'n money. Again, I'd suggest beginning at the neighborhood desk jockey (some 1 who just became employed as prts retailer, may not even B an enthusiast, only knows what a puter tell him/her) ina big bx store (AutoZone, advance, PepBoys, o reilly's). They have these parts. Money'n time/mail costs unimportant? go up the scale - to 'typical vendor'. If more than a '60s tv star
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6PqrTZsho0
U may want to have a full listing of suppliers who can meet ur needs for long term ownership and daily driving. Nota recreation user, but some one who needed my "woods wrk truck" 8, 9 mo/yr, sometime 7/d/wk for wks @ a time 35 yrs - I needed to 'get 'er done' so needed something a lill different. HTH ~