• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiring harness circuit plan

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I'm planning out my new harness right now and I would like to know if I'm missing anything. Excluding the normal items that a harness would power, I have come up with this list. What "extras" do you guys have that I may have missed?

USB charger - Switched+
12v power plug - Battery+
Tablet charger (12V to 5V inverter) - Switched+
VHF radio - Battery+
CB - Battery+
Line lock - Battery+
LED whip - Switched+
LED rock lights - Switch-Pro
LED backup light - Switch-Pro
LED driving lights - Switch-Pro
Driver heated seat - Switch-Pro
Passenger heated seat - Switch-Pro
ARB compressor - Switch-Pro
Front ARB solenoid - Switch-Pro
Rear ARB solenoid - Switch-Pro
Winch - Battery
Amplifier - Battery

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Jaromy. what, no on board beer fridge / inverter :)

on a serious note, you might want to consider bed area lighting. i will be installing LED strip lighting under each bed rail for some light in the back. i'm running a switched power leg to each side to a switch and USB charger port as well as a switch for the strip lighting. port and switch will be on the back side of speaker pods tucked behind b pillars.

dome lamp?

Hank

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Hey Jaromy. what, no on board beer fridge / inverter :)

on a serious note, you might want to consider bed area lighting. i will be installing LED strip lighting under each bed rail for some light in the back. i'm running a switched power leg to each side to a switch and USB charger port as well as a switch for the strip lighting. port and switch will be on the back side of speaker pods tucked behind b pillars.

dome lamp?

Hank

Good idea. I plan to have the interior LED lights controlled by the stock switch right now. I can add a rocker switch to control the rear lighting.

No on board fridge for now ;D

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
How about under hood lighting? Always nice to see when you have to work on it on the trail late at night. Having it switched under hood is nice as well.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How about under hood lighting? Always nice to see when you have to work on it on the trail late at night. Having it switched under hood is nice as well.

i seem to recall that the FJ40 i had back in the day had some sort of under hood light on a retractable cord (might have been a different vehicle). some sort of weather proof plug under the hood might be best with a detachable LED lamp on a cord that can go right to what you want to see, not create a god awful shadow over what you want to see because its in the wrong spot. certainly cleaner than clamping leads onto battery terminals

Hank

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru

i seem to recall that the FJ40 i had back in the day had some sort of under hood light on a retractable cord (might have been a different vehicle). some sort of weather proof plug under the hood might be best with a detachable LED lamp on a cord that can go right to what you want to see, not create a god awful shadow over what you want to see because its in the wrong spot. certainly cleaner than clamping leads onto battery terminals

Hank

Ford had those in F series trucks for a while.
Not too hard to find, usually sell for about $30
The light bulb part has a magnetic base.
The bulb is a fairly common size, you can get an LED bulb for a few dollars.

Attachments

• Ford under hood retractable light.jpg
    Ford under hood retractable light.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 28

wookie650

Trans cooler fan
Dust light (Rear facing amber light)
Transfer fuel pump to pump fuel from aux tank to main tank.
Rear 12V power plug for ARB

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Ford had those in F series trucks for a while.
Not too hard to find, usually sell for about $30
The light bulb part has a magnetic base.
The bulb is a fairly common size, you can get an LED bulb for a few dollars.

What years F series, do you know?

Electric radiator fan.
future circuits for fuel injection?

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru

Good idea! I have rock lights and I planned on doing something like that, but forgot to add it to my list. Thanks!

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Trans cooler fan
Dust light (Rear facing amber light)
Transfer fuel pump to pump fuel from aux tank to main tank.
Rear 12V power plug for ARB

Running a ZF 5 speed
I have that listed as a backup light. It will be a standard small LED light bar
One 20 gallon tank in the rear
Not sure what you mean by power plug for ARB. I have the compressor in the engine bay right now.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
What years F series, do you know?

Electric radiator fan.
future circuits for fuel injection?

I should have added my complete list...my bad. I have an electric fan installed right now so it’s on my list. I just installed an Explorer 5.0 so I have a stand-alone relay box for that stuff.

Attachments

• F5FC05B6-6282-4304-BEBF-46CE99EF2F89.jpg
    F5FC05B6-6282-4304-BEBF-46CE99EF2F89.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 8A917D4F-1288-47B2-B569-2C50056EE39E.jpg
    8A917D4F-1288-47B2-B569-2C50056EE39E.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 28C266DF-5BC3-4D7B-A1FD-03982B4E9C9E.jpg
    28C266DF-5BC3-4D7B-A1FD-03982B4E9C9E.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 26
  • B7E01934-99E4-4B58-BFE7-6206627898B3.jpg
    B7E01934-99E4-4B58-BFE7-6206627898B3.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 25

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
By "power plug for the ARB" we might be thinking ARB Fridge/Freeze. Gotta' have one of those after all!

And what about a second battery? With all this cool stuff, much of which is connected to full time power without the ignition switch, the opportunities to drain the battery overnight from leaving a radio, or some other device (like an ARB Fridge/Freeze!) would not leave you a happy camper in the morning.
Been there, done that. But always with a backup plan...

I really like the not-so-simple, but effective isolator relays that let you jumpstart your own dead battery with the second battery if it comes down to that.

Paul

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
By "power plug for the ARB" we might be thinking ARB Fridge/Freeze. Gotta' have one of those after all!

And what about a second battery? With all this cool stuff, much of which is connected to full time power without the ignition switch, the opportunities to drain the battery overnight from leaving a radio, or some other device (like an ARB Fridge/Freeze!) would not leave you a happy camper in the morning.
Been there, done that. But always with a backup plan...

I really like the not-so-simple, but effective isolator relays that let you jumpstart your own dead battery with the second battery if it comes down to that.

Paul

A 2nd battery is a good idea. I can move the radiator overflow and have plenty of room on that side.

Attachments

• E60A6F99-CB0C-4319-A527-DD85ACBB95EB.jpg
    E60A6F99-CB0C-4319-A527-DD85ACBB95EB.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 33

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1980-1986

The cord is long, it will reach all the way to the back of a Bronco, which is why I consider it better than a fixed mounted light.

I had an 84 Bronco with that light, it was great. I wish someone would make an aftermarket one like it.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
google-fu yields GM 15528774 and GM 1599293 are the two part numbers that GM used for their version of the retractable underhood light in case you are interested.

Hank