• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

little help from the gurus

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just bought this today. It's supposed to be from a 79 Highboy. I was hoping I could use the power steering box and the axle with the disc brakes. I know I will have to have the axle shortened since it is full width. The wheels are 16 inch which means to use this I will need to get some 16s for the rear.
What else can you tell me about this donor?

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There's no picture loaded that I can see, but the 'Highboy' Ford trucks were only made until '77 1/2. The later F250s are not 'highboys'. The differences that separate a highboy is the frame and frame rail widths, the divorced transfer case, and the spring packs. It's easy to tell a true highboy from the front or the side. From the front, the front frame crossmember is visible just beneath the front bumper. From the side, the divorced t-case with the rear angling strut bar and the really long front drive shaft is easily seen. Most of the F250 parts can only be used on a early Bronco only through modification.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
78-79 F250 parts are desirable and getting harder to find for the pickup guys. It will have a HP 44 or a HP 60 in the snofighter package and the 79 F350. The power steering box will be a 4 bolt inside the frame mounting version. Sell them and buy something more Bronco friendly.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
..Yes on selling the gear box & getting something much easier to use on your Bronco. You may not want to shorten the axles due to cost. Maybe just keep them at very wide & Play a new game of crawl. I really don't see any issues with the wide stance of the full width Bronco stance . It's just well I CHANGED MY MIND CAPTAIN.