• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

so it begins

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
Been around this board for a long time. Had this bronco for over 25 years (this is my 3rd eb). My rig became more of a rock crawler when Paragon was open here on the east coast, but since it's closed my Bronco has basically sat in the back yard. I knew I wanted to restore it but didn't really have the patience to do the metal work that was going to be required. Last year I broke down and bought one of the dennis carpenter bodies. It was a bit longer wait than I'd have expected, but I bought my first Harley back in the early 90's when there was a 1 year waiting list, so I guess I was used to it.
Yesterday I picked it up. Now the fun begins
57400083318__01703A04-63C4-4A29-B718-C3BDFE347588.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

OP
OP
Allen_69

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
Couple of questions for those that have been here before.
1. Many of the panels are bare metal. It'll be a couple of months before I get paint on this. Should I rattle can primer it, or ospho the bare metal pieces.
2. Going to do the floor (both sides) in the tintable raptor liner. Should I seam seal if using this kind of topcoat.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Congrats! I'm sure you're not the only one going this route these days.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Allen_69

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
Congrats! I'm sure you're not the only one going this route these days.

Todd Z.

Thanks Todd, I've reached the age where my dad's use of the saying "work smarter, not harder" makes more sense.

Even with all the sheet metal done, the list is pretty long to get this to where I want it to be.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
1. Don't rattle can it. Keep it indoors. You could wipe it down with Gibbs Lubricant if you want. Good protection and you can actually spray over it later, although I would Prep Sol and prep for etch or epoxy prime prior when you are ready.
2. You'll want to seam seal and prime any bare metal prior to Raptor. Check your seam sealer and primer for compatibilities. There are bare metal seam sealers and also seam sealers that work on sealed, primed metal. Etch primer can react funky with seam sealers, primers, and paints if not careful. Pretty tub. Congrats and have fun!

Couple of questions for those that have been here before.
1. Many of the panels are bare metal. It'll be a couple of months before I get paint on this. Should I rattle can primer it, or ospho the bare metal pieces.
2. Going to do the floor (both sides) in the tintable raptor liner. Should I seam seal if using this kind of topcoat.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Is this the Allen that used to wheel with MEB at Paragon?

EDIT: Never mind. Looked at some old thread to confirm! Welcome Back!!

Gary

OP
OP
Allen_69

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
Is this the Allen that used to wheel with MEB at Paragon?

EDIT: Never mind. Looked at some old thread to confirm! Welcome Back!!

Gary

Yup Gary. One and the same. How’s it going?

Took almost 10 months from the time I got my deposit in. I guess the hurricane last year had a pretty bad impact

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
If your body panels look pretty good I would wipe it down good with a wax and grease remover and put a couple coats of epoxy primer on it. You will need that under the Raptor liner anyways and you can seam seal to the primer. Awful nice to have clean bare metal to work with. Good luck, Ken

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
If you are epoxy priming the whole thing, hit the panels that will get color and block sanded (sides, hood, etc. - not the Raptor section) with a good 2K build primer in the chemical bond window. You'll be thankful for not sanding epoxy later.

If your body panels look pretty good I would wipe it down good with a wax and grease remover and put a couple coats of epoxy primer on it. You will need that under the Raptor liner anyways and you can seam seal to the primer. Awful nice to have clean bare metal to work with. Good luck, Ken

JT58

Loc.
Naples
Wow, that's the way to do it, get a complete new tub. I did not go that route and I am replacing just about every single panel. It's expensive and very labor intensive. A very bad body shop convinced me to replace panels then screwed me over but I had already bought more than 50% of the tub in parts so I continued down this path.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
If you are epoxy priming the whole thing, hit the panels that will get color and block sanded (sides, hood, etc. - not the Raptor section) with a good 2K build primer in the chemical bond window. You'll be thankful for not sanding epoxy later.

Good point. Some epoxy primers set up real solid. The epoxy primer I use sands pretty well. Just scuff if it goes past reapply window. I use SPI products and they have some good primers and clear coats.

OP
OP
Allen_69

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
Didn't really mean to do a build thread but here's an update for those interested.
Got the frame repairs done. New rear frame horns. Bunch of welded in patches. New rear shock mounts Can't believe how long it took to clean up. Every time I thought I was done I found more caked on dirt and rust. Finally got it ready for paint. Started with Eastwood platinum rust encapsulator , the their 2k chassis paint. Really happy with the results.

Oh and I picked up a powder coating kit too.