• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ballast Resistor mounting

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Flamethrower

According to Pertronix, you can use their 1.5ohm coil with the full 12v (no resistor) if using an Ignitor I on a V8 engine.
If the same setup on a 6-cylinder engine, you'd want to keep the resistor, or go to a 3.0 ohm version

This is the one we sell for that: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Flame_Thrower_Coil_Black/Bronco_Performance_Ignition

That is their #40011 coil, but they also have an epoxy-filled version #40111 for higher heat and vibration resistance. They recommend those for harsh environments like air-cooled engines or hard running off-road.
It's the one I've used in both the Corvair turbo and Bronco in the past (prior to switching over to computer controlled stuff).

If you prefer to use something from MSD or Mallory or other, you should verify the same characteristics and recommendations for their 1.5 ohm coils. Just to be sure they abide by the same parameters.

Paul

Great! So that I am clear. If I run the 40011 or the 40111 I can remove the ballast resistor from that circuit all together?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Correctomundo.
Or correctamundo if you're from the north!

Paul