• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Late model F150 transfer Case in an Early Bronco

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The newer model transfer cases are wider than the early Bronco frame.

The last F150 transfer case that was narrow enough to fit was the NP205 which was used 1973-1979

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I remember seeing someone who put a later model drivetrain including the transfer case. They scabbed on a couple pieces of 2x2 stock on the outside of the frame rail to patch the giant hole they cut in it. And even the 2x2 was notced since the transfer case was wider than the OUTSIDE of the frame rail. Complete butchered hack job.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Krawlers Edge makes a wider frame that can accommodate it but prepare to empty the cash drawer!

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the NP 205 will bolt to the 10R80 it would be a great option. They are super strong, fit in an EB, and reasonably priced.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I think Ford finally changed the transfer case mounting and splines in the past decade.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
If you don't want a Dana 20 or an NP205 that is what is left to choose and use.
From what I've seen and experienced it would be my second choice, and my first doesn't fit either. So an Atlas is what I have in the Bronc-up.

Digger556

I vote Atlas

44558877170_b6fd23bbc9_o.jpg

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That looks good :)

Any one have a photo of a F150 Transfer case in an EB fame?

I cant remember where I saw it but it was done with a Krawlers edge frame. They are wider and accommodated it. Check their website or send them a note if you have an interest.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
After the 205 didnt they start using plastic parts in the transfer cases making less desirable than the 20 or 205?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Plastic parts are not an issue. Width of the chain drive is. The 205 was all gear drive, the last of the OEM gear drive. The chain drive is larger but lighter with less drag. They don't fit older chassis that are not designed to fit them.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
With a 10R transmission and a transfer case the driveshaft is going to be about 18" long!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Plastic parts are not an issue. Width of the chain drive is. The 205 was all gear drive, the last of the OEM gear drive. The chain drive is larger but lighter with less drag. They don't fit older chassis that are not designed to fit them.

I've just heard the plastic belts or whatever they changed in em dont hold up to abuse like the 20 or 205.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I remember seeing someone who put a later model drivetrain including the transfer case. They scabbed on a couple pieces of 2x2 stock on the outside of the frame rail to patch the giant hole they cut in it. And even the 2x2 was notced since the transfer case was wider than the OUTSIDE of the frame rail. Complete butchered hack job.

Yeah, that's what you have to do to clock an Atlas flat too... not the hack part, but the cutting a giant chunk of the frame out to clear a t-case part.