• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost using 2003 F150 M/C?

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Hey, guys. I know, another hydroboost thread. So far, I have bought 2 1998 Mustang hydroboost units, one with a M/C, one without, and a hydroboost unit from a 1976 Lincoln, no M/C. I've also bought a M/C from a 6cyl 1998 Mustang, thinking I could use it on the Mustang hydroboost, and a M/C off a 2003 F150, but the "register" or stub on the back of the M/C is bigger than the hole on both the Mustang and Lincoln hydroboosts. So I got a analog/dial set of calipers from work to measure the M/C registers and HB recepticle/holes. About 2mm difference is my best guess (the measuring points on the caliper were too short to go over the HB push rod.) Now I'm looking at the Superduty HB from a 1999/2000 since it has been said you don't have to mess with the pedal rod length. I looked at RockAuto and saw they don't differentiate between M/Cs for gas and diesel models, so off to the JY I went. There weren't any diesel superduties (didn't expect there to be) but when I tried seeing if the F150 M/C would work on a gas superduty, the superduty M/C register is HUGE. But looking at the back of the M/C and the length of the HB push rods I already have, they look like they would be right. I'm gathering all my parts to do a 4 wheel disc conversion, and really would like to use the F150 M/C. Do I just need to buy an adjustable push rod and a spacer? Has anyone done what I am trying to do? The reason for the F150 M/C is it has a 1-3/16 bore and has the provision for the cruise control plug. Down the road, I plan to do a full Explorer 5.0/4R70W swap, and would like to try to make the cruise control work. Apologies for being so long-winded... Any ideas appreciated.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't know the answer, but curious to hear what others say.
Back to the top for the morning crew.

Paul

Montoya

I just recently completed my Super Duty hydroboost conversion and I ran into similar troubles with finding a suitable master cylinder. I too spent way too many hours in a salvage yard looking at master cylinders. Ultimately I settled on a Wilwood unit with 1" bores because the mustang unit was too wide for my application. I haven't had it on the road yet (soon I hope) but others have stated the 1" bore master cylinders will work with the stock disc brakes so hopefully they are right.

There was a huge difference in the registers for the wilwood MC to SD hydroboost but the mustang MC to SD hydroboost fit well.

I think my space constraints are even more than most and thus my options were extremely limited. To make the Wilwood unit work I made my own adapter and that did the trick. Then, all I had to do was cut the pushrod to the correct length and bolt it up.

I'll post some pics next.

Montoya

Also, to make the SD hydroboost fit the way I wanted, I had to move it 2 inches down and 1.5 inches over thus I had to modify the pedal assembly so I could access the huge nut that holds the unit to the firewall.

I also made my own thicker firewall mounting plate for the clutch MC.

It was a bigger job than I thought but it turned out pretty clean (for a me job anyway)

Attachments

• IMG_20190224_171158.jpg
    IMG_20190224_171158.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20190305_101126.jpg
    IMG_20190305_101126.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20190303_141033.jpg
    IMG_20190303_141033.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20181208_163311.jpg
    IMG_20181208_163311.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 61

catfan

Contributor
Hey, guys. I know, another hydroboost thread. So far, I have bought 2 1998 Mustang hydroboost units, one with a M/C, one without, and a hydroboost unit from a 1976 Lincoln, no M/C. I've also bought a M/C from a 6cyl 1998 Mustang, thinking I could use it on the Mustang hydroboost, and a M/C off a 2003 F150, but the "register" or stub on the back of the M/C is bigger than the hole on both the Mustang and Lincoln hydroboosts. So I got a analog/dial set of calipers from work to measure the M/C registers and HB recepticle/holes. About 2mm difference is my best guess (the measuring points on the caliper were too short to go over the HB push rod.) Now I'm looking at the Superduty HB from a 1999/2000 since it has been said you don't have to mess with the pedal rod length. I looked at RockAuto and saw they don't differentiate between M/Cs for gas and diesel models, so off to the JY I went. There weren't any diesel superduties (didn't expect there to be) but when I tried seeing if the F150 M/C would work on a gas superduty, the superduty M/C register is HUGE. But looking at the back of the M/C and the length of the HB push rods I already have, they look like they would be right. I'm gathering all my parts to do a 4 wheel disc conversion, and really would like to use the F150 M/C. Do I just need to buy an adjustable push rod and a spacer? Has anyone done what I am trying to do? The reason for the F150 M/C is it has a 1-3/16 bore and has the provision for the cruise control plug. Down the road, I plan to do a full Explorer 5.0/4R70W swap, and would like to try to make the cruise control work. Apologies for being so long-winded... Any ideas appreciated.

An F-150 M/C fits my Mustang perfect, the M/C is part# 134007.
The H-boost is 1999-2004 Mustang.

Attachments

• IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
dmoses42

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Well, that's just strange. I'm thinking now that the register for the 1999-2004 Mustang must be bigger than the one for the 1996-1998, since Catfan's F150 master cylinder fits trucks through 2003 and fits the 99-00 Mustang hydroboost. Was the push rod depth correct as well? And thanks Montoya for posting up your setup. You do have quite the busy engine compartment.

catfan

Contributor
Well, that's just strange. I'm thinking now that the register for the 1999-2004 Mustang must be bigger than the one for the 1996-1998, since Catfan's F150 master cylinder fits trucks through 2003 and fits the 99-00 Mustang hydroboost. Was the push rod depth correct as well? And thanks Montoya for posting up your setup. You do have quite the busy engine compartment.
The reman didn't come with a push rod so I can't tell you that, the h-boost is 1.517 id and the M/C is 1.467 od.

OP
OP
dmoses42

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
The reman didn't come with a push rod so I can't tell you that, the h-boost is 1.517 id and the M/C is 1.467 od.

Thanks for taking those measurements, I'll grab my calipers from work tomorrow and check my parts this weekend.

OP
OP
dmoses42

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Ok, I'm a little less frustrated now. The F150 MC I have, that has 1-3/16 bore, is 1.609. The MC I have from the 98 V6 Mustang is 1.594. 98 Mustang HB is 1.516, and the 76 Lincoln HB is 1.484. So if I use the MC catfan referenced, I should be able to use either HB I have. Thanks again, guys!

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am a huge fan of using the Chevy Astro hydro boost, astro M/C, and Astro proportioning valve. It is perfect for a disk front drum rear Bronco and all off the same vehicle.

I have used it 3 times now and fixing to use it on my f100 streetrod.

Montoya

I am a huge fan of using the Chevy Astro hydro boost, astro M/C, and Astro proportioning valve. It is perfect for a disk front drum rear Bronco and all off the same vehicle.

I have used it 3 times now and fixing to use it on my f100 streetrod.

The issue is the bow-tie associated with it. Haha J/K

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
But I believe it isn't really "GM".
Isn't it Bendix?

If that makes you fell better, lol.

Like our Saginaw power steering boxes in our eb's from '72 and '77. Saginaw was a supplier and it seems they sold predominantly to GM. Eventually got consumed by GM I believe.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Isn't it Bendix?

Like our Saginaw power steering boxes in our eb's from '72 and '77. Saginaw was a supplier and it seems they sold predominantly to GM. Eventually got consumed by GM I believe.

Only to later be spun off as an independent company and renamed Delphi.

Montoya

Isn't it Bendix?

It helps a little but nowadays it doesn't even matter with GM and Ford developing everything from transmissions to LED lighting together :cry:.

I miss the old days when competition was the game and not mergers that just result in poor products and upset consumers....not to mention jobs lost...ugh.

Old man rant over...