• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tin and Tar - First Time 68 Bronco Resto

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Really didn't get much done this past week, ended up picking up a weekend shift and had to spend time with the girlfriend before hand but I got the seat sand blasted, added some more layers of glass to the speaker enclosure. Filled and block sanded it out, going to add some frosting to it and sand it out one last time before spraying it with raptor. I also mounted the latch that will help hold the seat platform in place once its back in the truck.

IMG_0850.jpg IMG_0851.jpg

I have 2 free weeks left until super cell and heres whats left

Speaker: Fill, Sand and shoot panels with raptor
Tailgate: Shoot w/ raptor
Soft top: Install hardware before putting panels back on
Roll Bar: Retouch w/ black paint, reinstall and tie into frame so it can handle weight of transfer seat.
Transfer Seat: Paint, Run electric and stop switches, install back in truck with seat and test (with a real person ;D :eek:) .
Under Carriage: Swap out speedo gear (put wrong one in) check diff and transfer case fluids, swap trans fluid (may have used dex/merc can't remember so being safe and getting type F ?:? ) test sending unit (gas gauge not working, may have bad sending unit or float)
Brakes Steering: Remount steering wheel and bleed brakes a few more times till firm....

I'm hoping to get the soft top hardware on the bedrails, electrical ran and bundled to the seat and painting/raptor done Monday night and Tuesday get the speaker panels back in along with the roll bar, and while one guy is working on getting the roll bar in i'll have my other bud help out with the speedo and checking all the fluids while it's on the hoist. Wednesday I can get my seat back in, pull my steering wheel and put it back on so its centered, and install the soft top. I think it will be done enough to suit my needs.. I will eventually put a collapsible shaft in and a tilt column but those will be my last upgrades....

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Got a lot done this week, I was able to prep my tailgate and raptor line it along with inner quarter panels.
IMG_1040.jpg IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg IMG_1167.jpg

I also got all the hardware in for the soft top while my panels were out. I made the B pillar brackets out of stainless so now I don't have to paint them after I drill them.
IMG_1006.jpg IMG_1254.jpg

Speakers are back in, had to take the roll bar out to get the sub in but mow its all together! I also have my receiver box mounted and wires ran so it can operate the actuators on the lift.
IMG_1238.jpg IMG_1249.jpg

Roll bar is officially tied into the frame, also fixed my speedo, had the wrong gear in there, also got my fuel gauge to work, brand new sending unit and the brass float was bad. The dang thing was full of fuel, so luckily I bought a nylon float and swapped it out and boom, gauge is working. I also drained my trans fluid. I could not remember if I put dex/merc or type F in so to be safe I replaced with type F, I also made sure all my diffs were topped off too.
IMG_1393.jpg IMG_1434.jpg

lastly got my transfer seat frame painted up and its ready to go back in.
IMG_1451.jpg IMG_1519.jpg

Well, looks like shell be ready for super cel. I just have to finish the soft top install and toss the transfer seat back in and go drive it around next week and I'll se ya'll in a few weeks!

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys....cant wait to bomb around in it this upcoming week!

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
It's been awhile but I think this is my final post on this build. The last two major projects on this truck were the disc brake upgrades and transfer seat. I had them mostly done for super celebration but the brakes just didn't feel right and I wasn't comfortable driving it around everyone's trucks. It was good to show it off though and I thank my dad a ton for haulin it down there and my fiancé for hanging in there with all the set backs we had on the trip. I ended up swapping the 1" MC with a 1.125" MC. This made a comparable difference but it was still spongy IMO. I tossed some speed bleeders in the rear calipers and thought what the hell, might make it easier to bleed in the future and maybe this last test ride jiggled some trapped air out of an area in the caliper. Bled again, tad better but still had to pump a few times to firm up the pedal. I took the MC off and started adjusting the push rod even though I had already used that fancy tool to adjust it earlier. It took about 3 separate times of adjusting and putting the MC back on but overall it was about 3-4 thread lengths out on that push rod and now the truck finally has a firm pedal. I was honestly going mad trying to get these brakes to work. I even checked my caliper and knuckle clearance just to make sure.

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg IMG_1675.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg IMG_2397.jpg

Transfer seat has been working well too...Im really happy with it as it allows me to get up in here with minimal assistance unlike before where someone had to basically pick me up and toss me in. I just gotta lose some weight so I clear the wheel a little better ha!

IMG_2274.jpg IMG_2279.jpg

IMG_2280.jpg IMG_2295.jpg

I've been really happy with the way it drives and handles on the road. Im finding out small things like exhaust coming in so I'm aiming it out the sides and for some reason my alternator isn't charging so that's next weeks project but overall it's a great feeling to have it out on the road!

Overall, I just want to say thanks from the bottom of my heart to all of you here on the forums. It's been a great 4.5 years of learning and all the new friends I've made in person and via the internet. I would've never imagined I'd end up with a t shirt and minor powder coating biz out of this as well. It's strange where life takes you where you least expect it...Once again thanks and I hope to remain active on here and help pass on what I've learned and hopefully help out the next guy that's like me on here!

IMG_2085.jpg

Last edited:

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
Awesome build thread - thank you for sharing your journey on this build and in life. That transfer seat is next level schtuff, amazing your ingenuity! I don't know, I think you have some more posts left in you lol!!!!

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
That truck came out nice Ryan. I'm glad you brought it down to the SC. Good luck with it and hope it treats you well. Ken

chuckyb

Contributor
Great thread, I’ve enjoyed watching the progress and your great skills. The truck looks killer. Sounds like congratulations are in order not only on the build, but on your engagement!

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Looking good Ryan - the truck looks great and that transfer seat is very impressive!

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thread Resurrection

I decided to resurrect this thread. Going to replace my J shifter w/ a duff j shifter. The reviews seemed good on them. Plus I had two gift certificates from 2018/19 that needed to be used so i pulled the trigger. I thought about twin sticks and may go that route but most people who have this shifter state it works better than the original design. Im also replacing my seats w/ power seats out of a 2008 BMW 328i coupe. Should make getting in easier for me. Lastly electric wipers using the two independent boat wiper motors and cole hersee sync switch.
IMG_6458.jpg

I had my dad helping me this morning on getting the old J shifter out. I had to leave to go run our shop and said "just get the two bolts out that hold the shifter in and stop there" I told him he may have to trim the access hole for the shifter, but not much. Well, my dad shows up at the store with the old J shifter cut in half and said " I couldn't get to the head of the longest bolt with it there, so i cut it out of the way!" ....It's out but I haven't been out to see how bad he hacked up my trans tunnel. I'm very worried and last thing i want is some ugly cover over it. I don't know how he couldn't get to it, its clearly just to left of it in the picture. I'll need to stick around and supervise the old man next time.

Any tips on getting the longest bolt back in on the bracket holding it in place? Do you have the threads facing the shifter and trim any remaining threads off once it's in? I did that previous as the extra threads were impeding with the shifter. The other question is can you slide that bolt in so the head is facing the shifter? Or is it impossible based on the bracket and shifter arm location?
IMG_6446.jpg IMG_6451.jpg IMG_6490.jpg

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hello Ryan, welcome back! Do you have the Duff tc shifter on the way? From what I can see, it comes with it's own mounting bracket. If you can wait until it arrives (back-ordered?), it may have a new mounting procedure. If you need a new shifter handle in the interim, I have one you can use. Howard in beautiful West Michigan

Btw, that transfer seat is awesome! Nice work!

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hi Howard!!! I have the J shifter from duff! Bracket included...I’m pretty sure I’ll have to put the bolt back in the same way just wondering if anyone has done it differently?

Thanks, the lift seat is getting an upgrade to a power seat!

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
"Eh, we'll just cut it out" is definitely some of the old timers ways of dooing things. I've been known to do it myself a few times as Im sure most of us have. Haha. Good luck getting it all buttoned up Ryan! Super Cel 2022?

chuckyb

Contributor
Good to see you back, Ryan. The Bronco looks great. Good luck with the J shifter project, I am sure you will get it all sorted out.

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
"Eh, we'll just cut it out" is definitely some of the old timers ways of dooing things. I've been known to do it myself a few times as Im sure most of us have. Haha. Good luck getting it all buttoned up Ryan! Super Cel 2022?

Yeah, now you know why there's a hole in the bed of your bronco. Common theme here, I wasn't there and my dad ran a gas line from a boat tank to the fuel pump and figured he'd just place it in the back and drill a hole. I wasn't happy about that!

I would like to drive it there someday! We'll see if I have time this year!!!

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Good to see you back, Ryan. The Bronco looks great. Good luck with the J shifter project, I am sure you will get it all sorted out.

Thanks chuck, i'll keep the progress updated here!