• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Bronco - press conf from Ford

eb-nutt1

It gets very hot here in the south, and neither of my turbo diesel work trucks have ever lost power, for that matter, the ex wives turbo passat never did either...on the otherhand, my 2016 5.0 f150 is pretty lame towing even my rzr, the car motor torque band is just to high for normal towing duties.

Brian

crab

Bronco Guru
For sure won't make everybody happy. Those of us that have worked on and owned early bronco's for the past 20years were hoping for a "retro" style Early Bronco (you know, the number one collector in world right now), not a.........what ever the hell that thing is?? It's really not that difficult to follow a pattern with some upgrades. There's way too much thought going into this thing, and who in the hell cares what Jeep is doing? Sure, they sell millions of them. Personally, I own a 2000 and a 2015 Land Cruiser for my "SUV" purposes when I'm not driving my Bronco's. The Land Cruiser, who only sells a limited number to the U.S., should be who Ford is taking notes! I'm REALLY hoping that there more to this story and maybe it's the "Baby Bronco"??

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
5.0 for towing over the v6 turbo even if the turbo has higher torque.

Yes.

Simple really, and simple is the issue.

In PHX where it does get sort of warm, turbos do NOT work very well in traffic. Same can be said for the hills or mountains surrounding PHX. So now I have a vehicle that half the year will underperform because of heat.

I know this because I drove a turbo VW around for 10 years and anytime it got above 80 degrees, it was like the motor was cut in half.

Yeah, 5.0 is simple solution. Known reliable.

Lets be honest, the ecoboost was made to satisfy mileage goals. I don't think they sound bad, but my stock v6 jeep does sound better, I think.
I'll agree that the 5.0 could be more reliable with less moving parts but when folks order a new F-150 with a "Max Tow" package you don't get the 5.0.

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
This thread has really taken off. I can't wait to see all the posts once the Bronco is revealed or a leaked image is made public. The admin for this site better be ready for the site to crash...lol.

OX1

Bronco Guru
It gets very hot here in the south, and neither of my turbo diesel work trucks have ever lost power, for that matter, the ex wives turbo passat never did either...on the otherhand, my 2016 5.0 f150 is pretty lame towing even my rzr, the car motor torque band is just to high for normal towing duties.

Brian

Don't recall severe power loss in my 3/4 ton dodge diesel either, but my smaller gas motors are night and day between 30 and 80+ degrees. TT 2.7 in my Fusion feels like it gains 100 HP when it gets below 35.
And that is before you clog up the IC with mud or snow (snow might not matter as much, since it's really cold out already).

eb-nutt1

Turbos definitely love cold weather, the 6.4, then the 6.7 i currently have now are both only 300 hp in cab/chassis configuration, both definitely pick up when the temp drops below 40*. I've been around broncos for 40+ years, my dad and uncles since they rolled off the assembly lines, me personally, i never figured Ford would release a truly retro, solid axle, v8 bronco, simply because they have nothing in their lineup to base it off of....Everyone clamors jeep this, now land cruiser that is forgetting that those vehicles never left those manufacturers lineups really, they just saw the need for major redesigns of the product and done so, instead of killing the line as Ford did with the bronco.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There was mention of it the other day, but I don't remember this article. Thanks!

Paul

KBUCK1

Turbos definitely love cold weather, the 6.4, then the 6.7 i currently have now are both only 300 hp in cab/chassis configuration, both definitely pick up when the temp drops below 40*. I've been around broncos for 40+ years, my dad and uncles since they rolled off the assembly lines, me personally, i never figured Ford would release a truly retro, solid axle, v8 bronco, simply because they have nothing in their lineup to base it off of....Everyone clamors jeep this, now land cruiser that is forgetting that those vehicles never left those manufacturers lineups really, they just saw the need for major redesigns of the product and done so, instead of killing the line as Ford did with the bronco.

The hope is that they'll base it off the early bronco.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
Turbos also handle the thin air at altitude better.

I’m sure whichever engine Ford decides to put in the new Bronco, it will have gobs more power than any EB ever was delivered with.

I hear a lot of people wanting the new Bronco to be true to the EB, then spend tons of money making their real EB look and ride less like an EB. Personally I love a stock EB. It’s the simplicity that is the charm. The steel interior, flat steel dash and airy interior. I like customs too! The EB is great because it is such a clean slate. It has simple mechanicals and suspension. Lots of opportunities for upgrades.

The new Bronco won’t be that. You’ll go to a dealer, check as many of the 250 options and your wallet allows, and drive off the showroom floor. I think it’s going to be a great truck, but a real EB successor, like many are hoping for, can’t be made anymore. They have been regulated out of existence, and the market would be too small.

The new Bronco, in stock form, will be way more powerful, comfortable and capable than the EB was stock. Even a 4 banger turbo will outdo the 120HP or so the V8 came with. It will have power steering and brakes. Air conditioning. Apple Play. Power windows and doors. Rollover protection. 33” tires. Rust protection. LED lights. I bet selectable lockers will be available. Rear view camera. And all the other modern conveniences and safety features we take for granted in our daily drivers today.

You’ll be able to customize it, but it won’t be as full of a custom build as the EB. You’re not going to see the variability of engine swaps, dashboard layouts, cage designs, etc. Individually they won’t be as distinctly unique. You go to an EB meet now, and no 2 are alike. They range from stock to full custom trailer queen to rock crawler to desert racer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Turbos also handle the thin air at altitude better.

I’m sure whichever engine Ford decides to put in the new Bronco, it will have gobs more power than any EB ever was delivered with.

I hear a lot of people wanting the new Bronco to be true to the EB, then spend tons of money making their real EB look and ride less like an EB. Personally I love a stock EB. It’s the simplicity that is the charm. The steel interior, flat steel dash and airy interior. I like customs too! The EB is great because it is such a clean slate. It has simple mechanicals and suspension. Lots of opportunities for upgrades.

The new Bronco won’t be that. You’ll go to a dealer, check as many of the 250 options and your wallet allows, and drive off the showroom floor. I think it’s going to be a great truck, but a real EB successor, like many are hoping for, can’t be made anymore. They have been regulated out of existence, and the market would be too small.

The new Bronco, in stock form, will be way more powerful, comfortable and capable than the EB was stock. Even a 4 banger turbo will outdo the 120HP or so the V8 came with. It will have power steering and brakes. Air conditioning. Apple Play. Power windows and doors. Rollover protection. 33” tires. Rust protection. LED lights. I bet selectable lockers will be available. Rear view camera. And all the other modern conveniences and safety features we take for granted in our daily drivers today.

You’ll be able to customize it, but it won’t be as full of a custom build as the EB. You’re not going to see the variability of engine swaps, dashboard layouts, cage designs, etc. Individually they won’t be as distinctly unique. You go to an EB meet now, and no 2 are alike. They range from stock to full custom trailer queen to rock crawler to desert racer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

yep, yep, & yep....
lots of truth there.
especially- "but a real EB successor, like many are hoping for, can’t be made anymore. They have been regulated out of existence, and the market would be too small."

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
All these "New" early Bronco builders (Icon, Gateway, and the like) are all aiming at the very high end customer - making a new modern Bronco in every sense. Modern drivetrain, Coyote engine, O/D tranny, custom leather interior, etc. This drives the cost up to $150K, $250K or higher.

Maybe, just maybe, there is a market for a "new" low end early Bronco. Make it as simple as the original. All new body and suspension parts but all stock/original specs. Maybe modern tech for springs and shocks but kept at stock ride height. Reman'd and carbed 302's, 3-speeds or C4's, front disks, stock looking vinyl seats, vinyl mats, etc. Could something like this be built for $50K? If so, I think it would sell. But not sure it could be done to include labor and some profit.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I dont think current emissions and safety laws will let it be built. Would it sell? I think so but not as much as a cushy suv and a heavy duty marketing campaign. Think of the H2 vs an actual hummer

jckkys

Bronco Guru
That video was done in Az. near Phx. or Tucson. I wish I'd seen it in person.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
All these "New" early Bronco builders (Icon, Gateway, and the like) are all aiming at the very high end customer - making a new modern Bronco in every sense. Modern drivetrain, Coyote engine, O/D tranny, custom leather interior, etc. This drives the cost up to $150K, $250K or higher.

yes they are brother....

Idahorocks

Loc.
Spring, Texas
My updated amateur photoshop guess using the Bronco R styling cues:
064c6b6154f76075c6c16ba32c172f6c.file
100f5ee3e3004e31a4011c5e22b50da4.file
d8a4ff9146afde6838d4a0839cfb07d7.file

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawndart

Loc.
The rear top needs the original style angle at the lift gate area.
Otherwise, it looks like the lost child from a regretful night between a Kia Soul and a Ford Flex.

Jaxgtc

The rear top needs the original style angle at the lift gate area.
Otherwise, it looks like the lost child from a regretful night between a Kia Soul and a Ford Flex.

That's a great way to put Butt Ugly.