• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 steel tub from the firewall back?

la hi

Who manufactures the tub for a 1966 bronco (i see some for 68-77) here in the US? Minus the doors, windshield, and tailgate. It will cost less to replace the tub than fix it I think.
i have sent a note to Dennis Carpenter and do not want fiberglass

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Not positive on this but I believe all the repop metal tubs are the '68-'77 version.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
The new tubs are actually 68-76 style. The only main difference is the doors and door striker positions are different from the 66-67 style. The front core support has a provision for power steering also. Other than that the new tubs will work just fine on a 66-67. Also Dennis Carpenter is the tub to go with.

OP
OP
la hi

la hi

Do you know if my doors will fit? The striker can be moved i believe.
thanks

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
If the striker jamb is in decent shape you'll have to scab it to fit the '66 doors. I have a '66 that has the '68-'77 style doors that the po scabbed the later striker into. The two strikers are incompatible one is round, the other oval.

OP
OP
la hi

la hi

$15,045 from Dennis carpenter delivered. Late March 2019 delivery date.
$4,200 from bronco graveyard. In pieces and I would have to build and weld together. I am not qualified to do that. That's a lot of labor cost
LAL CUSTOM no prices on web site, I will contact them.
I would like to see something in between from the cowl back. I thought I saw someone had a $6k and/or a $10k body, anyone know who?

Any ideas?

chuckyb

Contributor
Have you looked at the Dynacorn one piece floor and building from there? That is what I am doing.

mustanggarage

Contributor
$15,045 from Dennis carpenter delivered. Late March 2019 delivery date.
$4,200 from bronco graveyard. In pieces and I would have to build and weld together. I am not qualified to do that. That's a lot of labor cost
LAL CUSTOM no prices on web site, I will contact them.
I would like to see something in between from the cowl back. I thought I saw someone had a $6k and/or a $10k body, anyone know who?

Any ideas?

8995 for the same thing as the dennis carpenter version from northeast https://northeastclassicfordparts.c...73-1974-1975-1976-1977-early-ford-bronco.html

OP
OP
la hi

la hi

I looked up the New England shop and sent an email asking for the freight price from DE to CO. It would cost me over 1k to go get it. Pulling a trailer gets me about 14mpg and it's about 1900 miles one way.

Anybody else that is closer? I heard there was one in OR, but can't find it.

OP
OP
la hi

la hi

I am back to the Tub replacement subject and I have a 66.. The consensus is that Dennis Carpenter is the best bet if you want a 68+ steel body at $15k delivered..
New England has a nice looking tub for $9k that is a 66.
I will rent a trailer at the location of the builder and haul it back to CO.
Someone said there is a tub builder in MN. I can't find them.
Any New Ideas?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A side question. Since this is completely from scratch (virtually anyway) you are going with all new wiring too, correct?
Only reason I ask is they may all be based off of the '71 and later wiring, which has round grommeted harness branches on either side of the engine compartment and the fuse panel mounted in the glovebox. As opposed to yours with the panel on the floor/firewall and a single round grommet with the two rectangular firewall connectors behind the engine.

Likely you already had plans for new wiring, but just in case you were trying to restore the original, this could be important.

Paul

OP
OP
la hi

la hi

Yes I will rewire. what are your thought on a wiring kit?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hah! Too many to list!
Actually I do like properties of all of the normal suspects (Centech, American Autowire, Painless). But I always default back to Painless even though it's the most expensive because I like the Ford factory colors that I've become familiar with.
Same as I'd use GM colors re-wiring a GM vehicle, I prefer to stick with Ford colors for Fords.

That said, I like them all from a layout standpoint, a quality standpoint, and a functional standpoint. Each is different in their way, but with reasonably good layouts for an EB.
Ease of installation overall though? Each has it's strengths, with none of them having any particular advantage over the other in that regard. They all take a good amount of time to set up fully. Involving either a lot of contortioning under the dash and hood, or removing the dash for ease of access.
Or doing with the body all new and clean!

Lots of discussions on each of them here in fact. We've been doing full re-wires on Broncos on a regular basis for about 15 years now. Started off slowly, with Centech having a head start on Bronco-specific harnesses, but really ramping up in the last 10 years with seemingly everyone and their cousin installing EFI and having trouble with the old harness, fixing PO hacks, and even doing full frame-off restos on a Bronco.
Lots of discussions.

Some of the recommendations may depend on your experience (and relative fear, or lack thereof) with wiring.
So what's your anxiety level with wires and voltage?;D

Paul

OP
OP
la hi

la hi

I used painless in my 57 chevy truck swb. It was and still is a challenge, but I would use it again. I just have to remember GROUND, GROUND GROUND!!!