• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie with 67 U14 Bronco

RVZIO

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
Okay, well the title says it all. I have my own 50x50 shop and have been restoring C3 corvettes and I am tired of tight space and bending like a pretzel. I am 71 years old and am living the dream. Anyway I picked up this Bronco and am very excited to do my off body restore starting in August. I chose this forum to get some direction or tips on doing my restore. Questions will be dumb at first and will hopefully get better as I move along. The only dumb question for now is How am I removing the spot welded pieces that are bad but connected to a good piece. Drill them out or???

Thank You

RVZIO

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Welcome and there's probably not an question that you could ask that won't have a legit answer here. As for the spot welds, drill them out. We like bronco pics too :)

elan

Loc.
s
Welcome oldster (me too). First, spend the $12 bucks and join as a contributor. That way you can post pictures with ease. And yes spot weld cutter. I use them all the time.

I too left the world of the sport car for early Broncos, FJ40's and about to venture into very early Willys Jeep C2's (flat fender).

Ask any questions and you'll get a hundred different answers. The guys here are very helpful. From the Sawzall crowd to the bone stockers (Me).

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess I am in that club too! old and ex sport car/racer to EB's now. Welcome.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Get some quality drill bits or spot weld cutters. The cheap ones are junk and you burn them up. A few good ones will do the job better. Then a chisel or air chisel to finish it off.

No dumb questions when you are starting off, people here are great Don't forget the tech section, lots of good stuff there..

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome from Kentucky. From 16 years old till just a few years ago it was all Mustangs for me. Now I've got Bronco Fever!;)

OP
OP
R

RVZIO

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
auth

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
A lift sure makes things easier! Getting a bronco on a two post lift is a little wonky at first imo but 1000000 times better than crawling around.

Last edited:

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Welcome aboard!!! Glad you did the contributor thing!!! Pics look good, we all have a problem with them being sideways or upside down??? Didn't happen with my camera but that new phone is confusing!!!;D;D;D

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As mentioned above, use the spot weld cutter blades, an air chisel with a v notch and use the mig to spot weld the holes back and grind them down. Use #8 x 3/4 self drilling screws to place the metal in place then do your tack wedling and finish out removing the screws.

Nice shop. My old days were racing sport/formula cars, Formula B (Brabham BT21), Formula 5000 (march 73A), early sport racer (Lotus 23) , Can Am(Lola T160). I also restored many old Corvettes. Mostly C2 C3. Have fun, these Broncos are pretty straight forward.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LQOCRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
R

RVZIO

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
Here you go... fixed it!
901d500882b328c55dda52a4682c4175.jpg

Thank you for fixing the picture, I thought it looked right when I looked at it.

As mentioned above, use the spot weld cutter blades, an air chisel with a v notch and use the mig to spot weld the holes back and grind them down. Use #8 x 3/4 self drilling screws to place the metal in place then do your tack wedling and finish out removing the screws.

Great stuff, so drill out the spot welds, fit the new piece in, screw every hole or just a few or can I use Cleco pins? Then Mig weld and clean weld.

Nice shop. My old days were racing sport/formula cars, Formula B (Brabham BT21), Formula 5000 (march 73A), early sport racer (Lotus 23) , Can Am(Lola T160). I also restored many old Corvettes. Mostly C2 C3. Have fun, these Broncos are pretty straight forward.

Now those are some serious cars. Had a 65 fuelie back in the day and loved the drag racing scene growing up on Long Island.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LQOCRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have found this unit to work well, you can get them at most body supply houses as well!!! Good Luck!!;D;D;D

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Spot-Weld-Cutter/productinfo/19660/

Looks like new tools need to be gotten, yeah!

Welcome aboard!!! Glad you did the contributor thing!!! Pics look good, we all have a problem with them being sideways or upside down??? Didn't happen with my camera but that new phone is confusing!!!;D;D;D

Thanks

A lift sure makes things easier! Getting a bronco on a two post lift is a little wonky at first imo but 1000000 times better than crawling around.

Yup, the corvette body offs had some issues but all in all the 2 post unit works great and I also got tired of working om the floor at my age. Probably will need to make a body dolly to put it on. Any bracing before hand or jus when I go to remove like the bed area etc.

Everyone, thank you for the nice welcome and answering my newbie questions. I like to show pictures so hope that's ok...………………………
As soon as I figure them out!

RVZIO

OP
OP
R

RVZIO

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
Today I got a chance to go into the side garage and take a picture of the engine and compartment. Do things look kind of normal to those who know?

RVZIO

Attachments

• 20190512_093342.jpg
    20190512_093342.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 109
  • 20190512_093333.jpg
    20190512_093333.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 99