• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AZ Stroppe for sale in AZ

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Do the incorrect and missing Stroppe items deduct from the value much?

C_Man69EB

Do the incorrect and missing Stroppe items deduct from the value much?

nice truck. the only obviously incorrect stuff i see, its missing its padded steering wheel, seats and flooring, as well as the lift mods. But still retains the "essence" of a Stroppe quite well IMO.

I have found over the years that the bronco community is very accommodating, and accepting of customization, even on the Stroppe trucks. I do think it would be worth the most of amount if it was pebble-beach accurate....but ill be these mods dont take much away. 15% tops... they are all easily reversible. It would be way worse if he didnt paint it the correct colors to chopped up the body.

My two cents...

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To add to the above items....Stroppe trailer hitch missing as well as the Stroppe Baja tire cover. Upper tire carrier hinge/bracket should be Wimbledon White. Sport Grill trim missing, Sport Package bright window trim on all windows and upper door frames missing.. and Sport red grill letters missing it appears. I feel like missing Stroppe items devalue it quite a bit because these items pretty rare and hard to find. I’d also have to be correct and paint those rear flares body color. My .02

Blue71

Last edited:

elan

Loc.
s
Hmmm. You know you have what some deem the Holy Grail of Broncos. It's taken apart, then modified? No mention of the carpet color or those incorrect seats and covers? The wrong knobs on the dash. Two stage paint...that gloss needs to be knocked down with rubbing compounds.
Is this a case of bad ideas gone wrong?

Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
This just listed on CL in AZ. Todd, do you know the story on this one?

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/gilbert-1972-ford-stroppe-bronco/7051821105.html

Yes, I certainly do! I have a long history with the truck, having found it on a farm in the remote AZ desert between Phoenix and Tucson back in 1997. I visited it numerous times over the years, and even was accused of stealing the gas caps off of it by the owner once when I stopped to visit (I quickly convinced him that I had NOT stolen his gas caps!). He called it an "Andy Granatelli Bronco".

Andrew Norton and I call this truck "Peter Rabbit" because when I was showing it to Andrew, Andrew spotted a mummified rabbit carcass in the battery tray. I may have screamed like a girl and almost dropped the hood on Andrew's head.

The truck disappeared in the mid '00s when the farm was cleaned up and I figured it was gone forever. 5-6 years later, I got a note from Tom Broberg at Bronco Driver magazine asking if I could talk to a local guy that thought he had a Stroppe. I contacted the guy and quickly figured out he was asking about this truck. I shocked him when I asked if the rabbit was still on the battery tray. "Umm...yes....there is something like that there.....how did you know that??" So we were reunited - Andrew came to town and we got to see it again.

The farmer's son-in-law is the owner and is now selling it. The truck looks pretty good considering its condition when it was sitting in the farm field, but yes, it's missing a lot of its original pieces.

Those of you who read Bronco Driver magazine may recall that I wrote an article about this truck a few years ago shortly before its restoration began.

Todd Z.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, I certainly do! I have a long history with the truck, having found it on a farm in the remote AZ desert between Phoenix and Tucson back in 1997. I visited it numerous times over the years, and even was accused of stealing the gas caps off of it by the owner once when I stopped to visit (I quickly convinced him that I had NOT stolen his gas caps! He called it an "Andy Granatelli Bronco".

Andrew Norton and I call this truck "Peter Rabbit" because when I was showing it to Andrew, Andrew spotted a mummified rabbit carcass in the battery tray. I may have screamed like a girl and almost dropped the hood on Andrew's head.

The truck disappeared in the mid '00s when the farm was cleaned up and I figured it was gone forever. 5-6 years later, I got a note from Tom Broberg at Bronco Driver magazine asking if I could talk to a local guy that thought he had a Stroppe. I contacted the guy and quickly figured out he was asking about this truck. I shocked him when I asked if the rabbit was still on the battery tray. "Umm...yes....there is something like that there.....how did you know that??" So we were reunited - Andrew came to town and we got to see it again.

The farmer's son-in-law is the owner and is now selling it. The truck looks pretty good considering its condition when it was sitting in the farm field, but yes, it's missing a lot of its original pieces.

Those of you who read Bronco Driver magazine may recall that I wrote an article about this truck a few years ago shortly before its restoration began.

Todd Z.

Great story, thanks for the reply. I have no idea of the value these days, what is the opinion on the asking price? Are there any comps to compare to?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Great story, thanks for the reply. I have no idea of the value these days, what is the opinion on the asking price? Are there any comps to compare to?

I think it's way overpriced for what it is - but then I tend to undervalue rigs anyway. The 3 that I can think of that sold in the $90-$140K range in recent years are in a different league in terms of restoration quality/proper parts, etc.

Todd Z.

indio22

I think it's way overpriced for what it is - but then I tend to undervalue rigs anyway. The 3 that I can think of that sold in the $90-$140K range in recent years are in a different league in terms of restoration quality/proper parts, etc.

Todd Z.

Damn, I misread and thought it was $12,500, lol.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I visited it numerous times over the years, and even was accused of stealing the gas caps off of it by the owner once when I stopped to visit (I quickly convinced him that I had NOT stolen his gas caps!). He called it an "Andy Granatelli Bronco".

Whoops.. lol We can vouch for you too